Les Miles Done For?

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
So could KU fire with cause? I wouldn't think that Miles would have any obligation to tell Kansas about this being a sealed settlement. Seems like someone's lawyer is about to get paid, not sure it'll turn out well for anyone else.

Maybe they didn't ask?? Ala Iowa State hiring Danny Mac not knowing about some of his 'issues'.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
They receive a big check every year from the TV networks by way of the Big 12 just for having a football program around to serve as a punching bag. I have to imagine that check is more than what it costs to operate the program, and it would be much smaller if Kansas was not somehow playing football. Basketball breaks even; football TV money pays the bills, and that is true even in Lawrence. They're not going anywhere anytime.

This is true at many schools but not Ku. I went over their financials a couple of years ago. They make in basketball what schools like K-State make in football. Basketball ticket revenues at Ku are like football at other schools. Football breaks even in Lawrence.

And most employment contracts have a provision that protects the employer against past misdoings by the employee. I'd guess 'for cause' is in-play here although A.D. Long is highly unlikely to shed Les.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is true at many schools but not Ku. I went over their financials a couple of years ago. They make in basketball what schools like K-State make in football. Basketball ticket revenues at Ku are like football at other schools. Football breaks even in Lawrence.

Even accounting for TV money?

I am not familiar with the contracts, but I can imagine 1/10th of the check from the TV networks for Big 12 football is a lot of money. A lot more than 1/10th of the check for basketball.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

I am not familiar with the contracts, but I can imagine 1/10th of the check from the TV networks for Big 12 football is a lot of money. A lot more than 1/10th of the check for basketball.
Last available numbers I saw $14.9 million in Ku basketball ticket sales, $4.9 for football. They are clever in reporting revenue though, as they combine sports so as to not give actuals for each sport.

Anyway, if you take the $10 million difference off football revenue from say a comparable P&L for K-State, then hoops and football are similar in margin contribution. Ku football expenses, though, are greater than K-State by ~$3 million, thus the conclusion that Ku hoops carry their athletic department.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Every time I think of KU football I snicker when I remember the 2018 game in Lawrence.
Crowd was way, way, ISU. One of their players told the media he was pissed off that it was a home game for ISU, and then in minutes they fired Beaty.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The more I watch the KU situation the less opposed I am of a Dan McCarney statue next to the Matt Campbell statue.

I think Central Campus would be big enough to house them.

f9939609cf0a9a7f7e528a265d893242.jpg

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Don't forget about the Criner days too. During those times from the 80's -early 90's you didn't need a ticket to get into a game. You just had to pass a breathalyzer to make sure you were drunk enough to get in. A couple games I woke up in the stands at half time and were down like 35-0. That's how bad it was.

The Criner years were not that bad on the field, there was just too much off-field stuff: NCAA violations and arrests. Also seemed likely a weekly occurrence where football players got in bar brawl with students.
  • 1983: 4-7 / 3-4 (Big 8)
  • 1984: 2-7-2 / 0-5-2
  • 1985: 5-6 / 3-4
  • 1986: 6-5 / 3-4
Games were a blast. I remember students able to bring McDonalds coolers filled with booze into games. When it was warm things like screwdrivers, when cold schnapps and hot chocolate.:)

Fun Times!!!

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Without KUs football program, that University would be in the Big East, along with the income that goes along with being a member of that conference.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

And most employment contracts have a provision that protects the employer against past misdoings by the employee. I'd guess 'for cause' is in-play here although A.D. Long is highly unlikely to shed Les.
How can they possibly break even in football? Just scholarships alone.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Seems like LSU should get the heat on this one right? Their HC had a secret settlement with an AD intern that they didn't know about? That's really tough to believe if true.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
SIAP.

I know it’s a link to a message board, but there are several relevant articles and links in there that makes it easier than me searching and posting them all.

He might be toast.

Anyone find it strange that after someone commented that Ferentz survived a worse situation at Iowa nobody mentioned the ginormous difference that Ferentz wins?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Seems like LSU should get the heat on this one right? Their HC had a secret settlement with an AD intern that they didn't know about? That's really tough to believe if true.

Sure hard to believe it wouldn't come out in today's world.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Screw the TV money, is it still true when you count the payments to KU basketball players?

Reactions: NWICY

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The more I watch the KU situation the less opposed I am of a Dan McCarney statue next to the Matt Campbell statue.

When Dan started coaching at Iowa State. The Facilities were way way worse than Kansas has now. The locker rooms were borderline high school. It was embarrassing. I still say Dan did one of the best coaching jobs ever to get us to a bowl game. I know he won't go down as the best coach ever. However, looking what him, Walden, and Criner had to deal with, it was like trying to compete with Apple by selling computers out of your garage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron