Len Elmore is horrible

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I thought Len Elmore was horrible last night.

Just one example from last night. A KSU post player lowered his shoulder and initiated contact with the Xavier defender that had established position. The defender went down, but the officials decided it was a flop and let the contact go.

Len's opinion was that the officials should have called a foul on the Xavier player because the KSU player lost control of the ball and it resulted in a turnover. Hard to understand that type of logic.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Is that the guy that kept saying "times out"? I'm not sure what the correct way to indicate more than one time out but that sounds funny.

And yes, he sounded like a K-State homer.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed that exact same play and thought Len was wrong too. KSU player lost control a dribble after the Xavier player went down. There was another play that he kept referring to before that where his logic was pretty weak, but I forget what it was. He mentioned it 3-4 times.

Gus Johnson was good though.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I noticed that exact same play and thought Len was wrong too. KSU player lost control a dribble after the Xavier player went down. There was another play that he kept referring to before that where his logic was pretty weak, but I forget what it was. He mentioned it 3-4 times.

he kept going on and on and on and on about the foul that wasn't called just before the three shot foul that tied it at the end of regulation.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Is that the guy that kept saying "times out"? I'm not sure what the correct way to indicate more than one time out but that sounds funny.

And yes, he sounded like a K-State homer.

yes i was so tired of times out. its ******* time outs you idiot.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Just one example from last night. A KSU post player lowered his shoulder and initiated contact with the Xavier defender that had established position. The defender went down, but the officials decided it was a flop and let the contact go.

Len's opinion was that the officials should have called a foul on the Xavier player because the KSU player lost control of the ball and it resulted in a turnover. Hard to understand that type of logic.

Wrong, he said it should've been either a charge or a block. His point was since the contact impacted the play that there should have been some foul called atleast.

jaws90us

Nov 3, 2006
If the official made the call that it wasn't a charge. Then he should have made a blocking call. There was contact and something should be called. It did cause the player to lose the ball. I am not college official , but I am high school official.

In high school you can call a technical when a player flops intentionally trying to draw a charge. I have never called one for that. I just tell the player not to do it again or it could be technical. I think in college they just let it go, if the basket is made or doesn't influence the player to lose control of the ball.

My thought on the play. He flopped he went down hard with not that much contact. If he would have stood his ground and the K State player moved him in a more convincing manner then I would have called the charge.

Len Elmore was correct. He should have called the block.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa

I disagree, Johnson was equally as bad, he kept spewing out the wrong stats and yelled way too much. He is starting to get old.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If the official made the call that it wasn't a charge. Then he should have made a blocking call. There was contact and something should be called. It did cause the player to lose the ball. I am not college official , but I am high school official.

In high school you can call a technical when a player flops intentionally trying to draw a charge. I have never called one for that. I just tell the player not to do it again or it could be technical. I think in college they just let it go, if the basket is made or doesn't influence the player to lose control of the ball.

My thought on the play. He flopped he went down hard with not that much contact. If he would have stood his ground and the K State player moved him in a more convincing manner then I would have called the charge.

Len Elmore was correct. He should have called the block.

I hope you never officiate my games. The contact did not cause him to lose the ball. He hit him with his back side. He lost the ball because of other reasons. You absolutely cannot call a block there. A technical while cheap is more of a possibility that a block. There was contact made and it was initiated by the KSU player. Calling ab lock there would be terrible.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Wrong, he said it should've been either a charge or a block. His point was since the contact impacted the play that there should have been some foul called atleast.

Len was very clear on his opinion that the foul should have been called on the Xavier defender.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008

How many times did he go on about the guy's hand being hurt, and then saying that he must just have been tired.....

jaws90us

Nov 3, 2006
Sounds like you play the game. You look at play again. If the defender hadn't gone down so easy and really acted it out. I might have agreed with you, but he did and so he should be penalized for trying that.

You look take look at the rules.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Guys... the game double OT...they were talking for hours...you're not going to get it perfect the entire game.

I did think it was funny that a Harvard Law grad says "times out."

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I don't think it was Len's best game, but I do enjoy Gus even though I thought last night he was getting too excited on some not excitable plays. I thought the line of the game was when Pullen was shooting fts and Len was describing how important practicing fts are, just for these situations. Then Crawford, i think, comes down and nails a 30-fter to tie, Len says, "practicing those are important to" I found it funny.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Heard that. I called him stupid for that as well. No call was correct.