NBA: Lebron James comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Think he is full of himself? Or right on? He has been full of comments lately

A season at the abyss: Boston Celtics rout Cleveland Cavaliers, 120-88, for 3-2 lead in series | cleveland.com

"I put a lot of pressure on myself to go out be great and the best player on the court," James said. "When I'm not, I feel bad for myself because I'm not going out there and doing the things I know I can do. But I don't hang my head low and make excuses, because that is not the type of player or the type of person I am."
But the was no missing the malaise and broken-looking spirit that hung on James' face and body language during the game. He could offer no insight other that he was battling expectation as much as the Celtics.
"I spoil a lot of people with my play," James said. "When you have three bad games in a seven-year career, it is easy to point that out."

He has also this quote recently when talking about the scoring title....

“If I really wanted to, if I really wanted to win the scoring title, I could win it every single year,â€￾ he said. “Every single year, I could really do it. But it doesn’t matter to me.â€￾

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
While I agree with the idea that he does spoil people with his play and they aren't used to seeing him play bad. He has had WAY more than 3 bad games in his career.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
You missed the real gem where he's pretty much ****** off the entire populous of Cleveland - paraphrased "Cleveland is spoiled."

Sorry, BronBron - "spoiled" is not exactly the term I'd use to describe the Cleveland sports fan of the last 50 years. More like "constantly getting kicked in the nuts and getting absolutely ****** off" when someone who lives as privileged a life as LeBron does starts calling out his fans for being "spoiled" when they start complaining about how he clearly didn't leave it all out on the court in the game that just might have determined the series last night.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Good for Lebron. The Cavs management (with the exception of maybe Jamison) has continued to surround him with role players and has yet to land one legit #2 guy. Lebron has more on his shoulders than most players could ever handle.

And you're damn right he could win the scoring title every year, but how is that helping the obvious lack of confidence his teammates have and improving his chances at winning a title. Just look at the Lakers and Kobe after Shaq left and before they traded for Pau Gasol. I love that Lebron is the complete opposite of Kobe. Switch those two and I gaurantee Lebron wins multiple rings with that roster. Kobe on the other hand would demoralize the current Cavs roster and ruin any chemistry they had.

Last edited:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Good for Lebron. The Cavs management (with the exception of maybe Jamison) has continued to surround him with role players and has yet to land one legit #2 guy. Lebron has more on his shoulders than most players could ever handle.

And you're damn right he could win the scoring title every year, but how is that helping the obvious lack of confidence his teammates have and improving his chances at winning a title. Just look at the Lakers and Kobe after Shaq left and before they traded for Pau Gasol. I love that Lebron is the complete opposite of Kobe. Switch those two and I gaurantee Lebron wins multiple rings with that roster. Kobe on the other hand would demoralize the current Cavs roster and ruin any chemistry they had.

What does his comment have anything to do with Cavs management?

And I'm not sure on the scoring title. What if Kobe wanted to win it? He is a better SCORER than Lebron. That can't be argued. He is a better shooter from everywhere on the court and has averegaed over 35 PPG in a season.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
What does his comment have anything to do with Cavs management?

And I'm not sure on the scoring title. What if Kobe wanted to win it? He is a better SCORER than Lebron. That can't be argued. He is a better shooter from everywhere on the court and has averegaed over 35 PPG in a season.

His comment has everything to do with the nucleus surrounding him. With the exception of the '04 Pistons, maybe the '94 Rockets and the Bad Boy Pistons of the late 80s, every championship team has had a dominant #2 guy (usually a Hall of Famer), and Lebron clearly doesn't have that. Yes Shaq is one of the best of all time, but not at this point in his career. Hell, Lebron isn't even playing with guys that you would consider All Stars on a regular basis.

He's obviously frustrated, and why shouldn't he be? He can look around the league and see teams like the Lakers, Magic, Celtics & Suns that all have at least two dominant players who can carry the load on any given night. Lebron doesn't have that.

Also, Kobe doesn't have the legs to put up 35+ppg at this point in his career. Those knees have seen far too many games and it can't be stated enough just how much Pau Gasol is going to extend the prime of Kobe's career. In 20 years when we're talking about Kobe's legacy, there should be an asterisk by it saying that Kobe's greatness was only acheived and sustained by playing with another dominant center.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
His comment has everything to do with the nucleus surrounding him. With the exception of the '04 Pistons, maybe the '94 Rockets and the Bad Boy Pistons of the late 80s, every championship team has had a dominant #2 guy (usually a Hall of Famer), and Lebron clearly doesn't have that. Yes Shaq is one of the best of all time, but not at this point in his career. Hell, Lebron isn't even playing with guys that you would consider All Stars on a regular basis.

He's obviously frustrated, and why shouldn't he be? He can look around the league and see teams like the Lakers, Magic, Celtics & Suns that all have at least two dominant players who can carry the load on any given night. Lebron doesn't have that.

Also, Kobe doesn't have the legs to put up 35+ppg at this point in his career. Those knees have seen far too many games and it can't be stated enough just how much Pau Gasol is going to extend the prime of Kobe's career. In 20 years when we're talking about Kobe's legacy, there should be an asterisk by it saying that Kobe's greatness was only acheived and sustained by playing with another dominant center.

This article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/05/12/cleveland/index.html?eref=sihp) actually illustrates your point quite well.

"It's been 98 percent madness and two percent method. The Cavs have never seemed to have a real plan. They have just spent money on the biggest name they could find at any given moment. The conventional wisdom in NBA front offices is that the way you win a title is with one superstar and one near-superstar, then fit the pieces around them. Cleveland never got that near-superstar, and worse, the Cavs never really tried. They never saved cap space so they could target a specific free agent to complement the most gifted player in the world."

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
This article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/05/12/cleveland/index.html?eref=sihp) actually illustrates your point quite well.

"It's been 98 percent madness and two percent method. The Cavs have never seemed to have a real plan. They have just spent money on the biggest name they could find at any given moment. The conventional wisdom in NBA front offices is that the way you win a title is with one superstar and one near-superstar, then fit the pieces around them. Cleveland never got that near-superstar, and worse, the Cavs never really tried. They never saved cap space so they could target a specific free agent to complement the most gifted player in the world."

Bingo, and Cleveland sure as hell doesn't have the cap space to sign Lebron and another bonafied player this off season either. If Lebron leaves this summer, the number one person to blame is Danny Ferry for never surrounding Lebron with that safety net that so many other great teams and players had (AND THAT INCLUDES MICHAEL JORDAN). Just as MJ couldn't get passed the Celtics and Pistons in the late 80s, especially until Scottie arrived, Lebron won't be able to win a title until he has a legit sidekick.

And that's not trying to take away from his legacy, but look at the last 40 NBA champions and you'll see a consistent theme. Not only was there supreme talent leading the way, but there was also a Hall of Famer right along side, backing that alpha dog up.

Last edited:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Once again. What does ^^^ that have to do with this.....

"I spoil a lot of people with my play," James said. "When you have three bad games in a seven-year career, it is easy to point that out."

????

Should there be an asterisk next to MJ for having Rodman and Pippen? How about an asterisk next to Duncan? He only won when he had Robinson and Parker. We need to put an asterisk next to Hakeem as well. He doesn't win without Drexler. Might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. An asterisk!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Ya saying Shaq was not the Answer last night?

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Once again. What does ^^^ that have to do with this.....

????

Should there be an asterisk next to MJ for having Rodman and Pippen? How about an asterisk next to Duncan? He only won when he had Robinson and Parker. We need to put an asterisk next to Hakeem as well. He doesn't win without Drexler. Might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. An asterisk!

You're missing my point. I'm not saying that you put an actual asterisk next to Kobe's legacy because he only won titles with dominant centers, but you tongue and cheek put it there because Kobe's name is going to be among some of the all time lists statistically because Pau is extending his prime. Do you think Kobe can continue to play at such a high level and carry a hopeless Lakers team is he doesn't have another dominant player to help carry the load? Not a chance. Look at guys like Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley if you don't believe me there. And yes, a player like Rodman did extend MJ's prime. That's the point I'm making. It's not enough to be a superstar, but if you're going to win a ring in the NBA you have to have a sidekick.

Also, you need to get your facts right. Hakeem won in '94 without Drexler. They traded for Drexler in '95 and won the title as a 6 seed (lowest to win a title in history btw). Also, Duncan has won two titles without David Robinson, but Tony Parker and Ginobli certainly did their share (Parker was '07 Finals MVP).

Reactions: Cydar

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
Oh, and as far as that comment about only 3 bad games in three years, I think you're making a bigger deal out of that then you should. Maybe Lebron has only had 3 games like that. I'm not sure if he's talking about just the playoffs or all games, but Lebron brings it every night like few superstars do.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
You're missing my point. I'm not saying that you put an actual asterisk next to Kobe's legacy because he only won titles with dominant centers, but you tongue and cheek put it there because Kobe's name is going to be among some of the all time lists statistically because Pau is extending his prime. Do you think Kobe can continue to play at such a high level and carry a hopeless Lakers team is he doesn't have another dominant player to help carry the load? Not a chance. Look at guys like Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley if you don't believe me there. And yes, a player like Rodman did extend MJ's prime. That's the point I'm making. It's not enough to be a superstar, but if you're going to win a ring in the NBA you have to have a sidekick.

Also, you need to get your facts right. Hakeem won in '94 without Drexler. They traded for Drexler in '95 and won the title as a 6 seed (lowest to win a title in history btw). Also, Duncan has won two titles without David Robinson, but Tony Parker and Ginobli certainly did their share (Parker was '07 Finals MVP).

So I ask again, why put an asterisk next to Kobe and not MJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron