Lawsuit Alleging the NCAA...

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Colludes in regards to the value of scholarships.

Athletes have to pay the difference between their scholarship value and the actual cost of attending.

I had no idea this happened, so very enlightening. Does this happen at ISU? Wondering what JP and CPR's thoughts are on it. Maybe Chris can bring it up next time he interviews or talks to with one or the other?

Lawsuit asserts NCAA 'colludes' to cap value of athletic scholarships

"Lawyers for a former West Virginia running back have proposed a class-action suit against the NCAA and the five power conferences, alleging that the Association violated antitrust laws by placing a cap on the value of athletic scholarships, which was below the actual cost of attending schools, Alabama.com reported. Essentially, the suit claims that there are out-of-pocket expenses that aren’t covered by a full scholarship."

The gist of the suit:

"The suit seeks to reverse NCAA rules that prohibit an extra stipend for athletes while also recovering damages for the expenses athletes were forced to pay when their scholarships didn’t cover everything under the cost of living."

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Well no ****. You need stuff to survive that would be impossible to calculate into a static number like a scholly.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Ncaa requires all FB and BB scholarships to be full scholarships. I don't understand this lawsuit- more athletes being whiney babies.

A 5500 loan? Please.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Listen, I'm no fan of the NCAA and it's policies, but when these kids start showing me proof that armed gunmen came to their homes and forced them to play sports in exchange for an education, I'd come a little bit more to their side.

I hope the NCAA is ready, because I see a lot of this type of stuff coming their way in the future. The athletes will all end up getting $200 or so and the Lawyers will add a few more millions to their bank accounts.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
the suit claims that there are out-of-pocket expenses that aren’t covered by a full scholarship

crying-baby.gif

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Well no crap. Scholarship covers tuition, room and board and books. They aren't intended to include gas for your car, cell phone expenses, money for the bar, etc.

Plus most are eligible for Pell Grants that covers whatever "fun" and other expenses they need.

Last edited:

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
I'd like to know what kind of "cost of living" additional expenses the athlete has incurred. I mean, if an athlete chooses to take on an unnecessary expense when other options are available that would negate that expense, then these players should shut up. I'd like to know what the NCAA and/or each university considers to be justifiable additional expenses.

Something tells me Alston's expenses were voluntary.

Am I wrong in that these terms are provided and known when the scholarship is offered and agreed to?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Well no crap. Scholarship covers tuition, room and board and books. They aren't intended to include gas for your car, cell phone expenses, money for the bar, etc.
That's what the under the table payments are for.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'd like to know what kind of "cost of living" additional expenses the athlete has incurred. I mean, if an athlete chooses to take on an unnecessary expense when other options are available that would negate that expense, then these players should shut up. I'd like to know what the NCAA and/or each university considers to be justifiable additional expenses.

Something tells me Alston's expenses were voluntary.

Am I wrong in that these terms are provided and known when the scholarship is offered and agreed to?
500 dollar a month make it rain at the strip club allowance is a cost of living.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Ncaa requires all FB and BB scholarships to be full scholarships. I don't understand this lawsuit- more athletes being whiney babies.

A 5500 loan? Please.

I'm betting that is a credit card balance. Would really like to know what expenses Alston's was "forced" to absorb.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Always surprised at the reactions to student-athletes trying to get more of the value that they are creating for themselves. The whole system is broken as is.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Always surprised at the reactions to student-athletes trying to get more of the value that they are creating for themselves. The whole system is broken as is.

As has been said before, no student is forced to take an athletic scholarship and participate in that terrible system that can provide a college education at considerably less expense than others have to pay. If they don't like how much of that "value" the current college scholarship system affords them, they have the opportunity to forego college athletic scholarships and try to go directly to professional sports.

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
As has been said before, no student is forced to take an athletic scholarship and participate in that terrible system that can provide a college education at considerably less expense than others have to pay. If they don't like how much of that "value" the current college scholarship system affords them, they have the opportunity to forego college athletic scholarships and try to go directly to professional sports.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't work that way with antitrust. You don't get to say "Don't like it? Go somewhere else!" when there is no serious competition outside of the system... hence the antitrust suit.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
That's all well and good, but it doesn't work that way with antitrust. You don't get to say "Don't like it? Go somewhere else!" when there is no serious competition outside of the system... hence the antitrust suit.

Competition for what? Getting paid to play an extra curricular activity?

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

im no lawyer, obviously, but there are other options. Just go ahead and pay for college like everyone else. He'll most of these guys get special treatment to even be admitted into most schools in the first place. Admittedly the system is broken, but what is the fair option then? No sports scholarships at all? I'm for that before I am for paying student athletes a true salary. What about all the kids that play that are walk-ons?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron