lawn mower recommendations

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
I'm looking for a new residential mower. My 13 year old Honda HRX is slowly fading and want something new to use at my house. Looking for something that I can use at least twice a week on a 11,000 square foot lot that will be reliable for several years. Considering the Toro Timemaster with the 30 inch cut, but I've been reading some conflicting reviews. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don't know what the "timemaster" means but I've had a Toro Personal Pace for 12+ years that never missed a beat. It also seems like all my neighbors have the Toro's too. The next time I buy one I'm going to consider a battery one but I can't imagine that they are as good.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I have a Honda HRX217H series and love the power and speed throttles on the left of the handle so I would recommend going back to the Honda (my yard is 10,500SF). A few of my neighbors have the Toro Personal Pace lawnmowers and the Honda cuts much cleaner and will plow through the thicker parts of the yard / taller grass where their Toros will always clog up and stall.

A neighbor behind me has the Toro Timemaster and it sounds like a freaking jet when he's mowing the yard (similar size to ours) and he seems to labor around the yard with it. I would think it saves him 15 minutes mowing the yard vs. myself but I enjoy mowing and don't mind the longer duration to mow.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don't know what the "timemaster" means but I've had a Toro Personal Pace for 12+ years that never missed a beat. It also seems like all my neighbors have the Toro's too. The next time I buy one I'm going to consider a battery one but I can't imagine that they are as good.

Have a neighbor that has a battery in their's. I did a spring prep on their mower change oil, sharpen blade, clean air filter and charge the battery. Well since they had never used the battery before, I thought I would see if it worked and it did not. Plus it was pain in the butt to get the battery out as it was tucked in beside the recycle/grass catcher door. It starts on the first pull so don't waste your time on one with a battery. JMO.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Regardless of the brand you select, either avoid the Home Depot's and Lowe's, or ask them who does warranty work. Then check with that place to see who must submit warranty claim paperwork. If you are not concerned with possible repairs under warranty, then buy anywhere.

At age 70, I use a rear-drive self-propelled, walk-behind Husqvarna with Honda engine on a lot totaling about 10,000 sq. ft. Neighbors with similar sized lots are about evenly divided between walk-behinds and riders.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Regardless of the brand you select, either avoid the Home Depot's and Lowe's, or ask them who does warranty work. Then check with that place to see who must submit warranty claim paperwork. If you are not concerned with possible repairs under warranty, then buy anywhere.

Who would you recommend for a place to buy a Honda from?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I have a toro super recycler personal pace. Going on 6 years and has never missed a beat. I sharpen the blade and change the oil and air filter annually and have changed the spark plug twice as preventative maintenance.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Go old school and get a Reel Mower.

Seriously, I could probably get away with that. I am down to 1,500 SF of grass to mow. 80' x 120' lot that is mostly shade garden outside of house/paver driveway. Old Sears 5.5 HP grass chopper is way good enough for my mini-yard. I did actually buy a reel off of Craigslist last year for $10. Almost new Remington I got for mowing last fall when I overseeded and added some peat/compost. Didn't want to just blow it all away with the power mower. Didn't matter, a couple big thunderstorms WASHED it all away.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Who would you recommend for a place to buy a Honda from?

Won't recommend, but places that do both sales and service per Honda (in central Iowa) include - most all Van Wall Equipment, Bomgaars, Garvis Honda, Acme Tools, Northern Equipment, and Mills FleetFarm.

Sirkruser

May 19, 2019
Indianola
I suggest this
474a22490dd2a0ee9ccd660a006dda7f.jpg

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
I'm looking for a new residential mower. My 13 year old Honda HRX is slowly fading and want something new to use at my house. Looking for something that I can use at least twice a week on a 11,000 square foot lot that will be reliable for several years. Considering the Toro Timemaster with the 30 inch cut, but I've been reading some conflicting reviews. Any input would be appreciated.

I have the 30 inch Toro Timemaster. I also purchased the roller with it. I have been happy and it seems my yard is about the same size as yours. If you plan on bagging your yard, I will say the bag fills up super fast. Also, one time I let my grass get extremely long, I feel the Timemaster was a little under-powered for that but I dont let my lawn get that long anymore..

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
Used to have a Toro then switched to a Honda HRX 217 about 7 years ago. Definitely prefer the Honda for cut quality. I bought mine at Home Depot.