Lauren Mills

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
"Mills is a 6-2 forward/center who has competed on development teams in her native Australia, representing Tasmania in the U14 through U18 Basketball Championships. Over the last two seasons, Mills has competed at the highest levels in netball in Tasmania. She will wear No. 14 for Iowa State."

I feel bad that I had never heard of netball before.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
So it's a combination of basketball, "California football" (or ultimate frisbee), Team Handball, and hockey....

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's like a combination of six on six and hockey rules. I'd watch a game of it. Interesting there isn't much of a backboard.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Netball and Team Handball are two odd sports Aussies seem to take to. Lauren plays Net Ball but will she record the third triple double at Iowa State or lead the country in assist/turnover ratio (as a forward or post!)? Something to shoot for.:)

Last edited:

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
Lets just say I am hopeful but very skeptical. Having a bit of a hard time wondering if/why we can't find a darn good post player right here in the USA or Canada. Seems to be our Achilles heal for the past few years.

• Optimistic
Reactions: StClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I watched 15 minutes of it (after watching the video I linked) and still can't answer the "why". There's another version where there are three different scoring arcs (worth 1, 2, and 3 points) which looked more interesting than the regular version but still nowhere near as interesting as basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Lets just say I am hopeful but very skeptical. Having a bit of a hard time wondering if/why we can't find a darn good post player right here in the USA or Canada. Seems to be our Achilles heal for the past few years.
Goodness. Who cares where the players come from? US? Canda? Australia? If they can play, and contribute, what difference does it make.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
She's gotta be taller than 6-2. At the game now and she's taller than Bride. Tallest one on the team for that matter.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
She's gotta be taller than 6-2. At the game now and she's taller than Bride. Tallest one on the team for that matter.
In a video, Bill called her 6'3" or 6'4". She's probably a real-life 6'2", not a basketball roster 6'2".

I'm also at the game (my first in a few years -- I live several hours away) and I agree with your assessment.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm pretty sure that's not the same Lauren Mills. Ours has been playing in Australia the past couple years minimum.
I thought she had darker hair and when I saw her on the bench it was obvious I had it all wrong. Thanks for correcting my error.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Goodness. Who cares where the players come from? US? Canda? Australia? If they can play, and contribute, what difference does it make.

As long as they are quality players, who cares. But out of curiosity it is an interesting aspect of our recruiting.

Help Support Us

Become a patron