Latrell Bankston Commits

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Anyone know our chances with his 4 star CB teammate now that he has open up his recruitment again ?

Last edited:

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
With Ray graduating, Bankston looks like an immediate need. I had some concerns about the DL as a result, but saw a while back that Bankston seemed to be all in.

With some much returning on D next year ISU has a chance to get a notch up the ladder again on defense like they were in 17/18.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
With Ray graduating, Bankston looks like an immediate need. I had some concerns about the DL as a result, but saw a while back that Bankston seemed to be all in.

With some much returning on D next year ISU has a chance to get a notch up the ladder again on defense like they were in 17/18.

It's going to be tough to emulate that defenses results unless our secondary vastly improves. Thank god Eisworth is back

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It's going to be tough to emulate that defenses results unless our secondary vastly improves. Thank god Eisworth is back

Kyle and Miller has shown a lot of promise in the later part of the season. Safety is where ISU needs some help. Hopefully the guy that was going to go to Penn State will be part of the answer there. A healthy Elsworth would have helped a lot this year.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Rumor is (and it's just a rumor) that Heacock is gonna head back to the lab and develop some 4 man front schemes. It's been said a lot, but I would be stunned if Enyi is not getting a considerable amount of snaps at DT next season with Petersen, Peterson, Bailey, and McDonald at DE.

Staff has confidence in Isaiah Lee and Tucker Robertson so I don't think we are short on talent. A step down in talent from Bankston? Probably, but definitely capable to hold their own in Big 12 play.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them do a 3 down 1 edge as well to get McDonald on the field. He's WAY too talented to not get him out there.

Defensive Line is the least of my worries for next years since there are so many guys.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Rumor is (and it's just a rumor) that Heacock is gonna head back to the lab and develop some 4 man front schemes. It's been said a lot, but I would be stunned if Enyi is not getting a considerable amount of snaps at DT next season with Petersen, Peterson, Bailey, and McDonald at DE.

Staff has confidence in Isaiah Lee and Tucker Robertson so I don't think we are short on talent. A step down in talent from Bankston? Probably, but definitely capable to hold their own in Big 12 play.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them do a 3 down 1 edge as well to get McDonald on the field. He's WAY too talented to not get him out there.

Defensive Line is the least of my worries for next years since there are so many guys.

Pittsburgh Steelers defense. I like it

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
Makes sense changing up our defense a little. It seems like we slid back a little bit due to everyone copying some parts of our scheme. Offenses got too comfortable going against it.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I would expect to see a little of it in the bowl game given the chance to test it. MCDonald needs to be on the field. That guy if he stays healthy will blow up the sack record I expect

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Makes sense changing up our defense a little. It seems like we slid back a little bit due to everyone copying some parts of our scheme. Offenses got too comfortable going against it.
Offenses have definitely adjusted to some degree. I think most of the problems this year have come from a bad secondary. They lost two extremely reliable players when Peavy and Payne graduated. Combine that with Lewis and Eisworth missing time due to injuries.

• Winner
Reactions: CyCloned

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Offenses have definitely adjusted to some degree. I think most of the problems this year have come from a bad secondary. They lost two extremely reliable players when Peavy and Payne graduated. Combine that with Lewis and Eisworth missing time due to injuries.
Hard to cover when you're rushing three dudes and not getting to the quarterback.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I think the defense played decent this year but when they struggled, it wasn't always because of scheme, tackling was a bigger issue this year than the previous couple. The guys you listed being gone/banged up were a big part of that.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Hard to cover when you're rushing three dudes and not getting to the quarterback.
I don't think you can blame a lack of pass rush when a corner gives up 10 yards of cushion on quick a 5 yard out route, then misses the tackle. You are right though that some times the secondary gets burned from having to cover for too long. That happened several times in the Texas game.