Latest on Royce

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I don't have any mental health condition, but it seems like he does actually connect with those who do. So what if basketball isn't the most important thing in his life. How many of you would put your job before your family? I know that it's different, but it shows how much he cares about this. If a Cyclone is that passionate about something I will support him. Basketball is just a game and he's chosen to put something above it. Maybe he should give back the money, but we can't ask him to give up what he truly cares about.

I don't think anyone is saying he should put basketball above his issue, or above his health. Of course he will connect with others who have similar problems, but those are not the ones he needs to connect with. He wins them over just by speaking out, but he is not convincing anyone that this is the proper way to handle this, or that anxiety can be dealt with and a person can live a normal life. What he is accomplishing with his rants is just the opposite. He is validating all of those who said drafting him was risking and that the Rockets were taking a real chance to make him such a high pick.

Imagine how different this could have played out if he had done his best to work with the Rockets, deal with his anxiety, and become a valued player for his team, as difficult as that may have been for him. Then, he would have had a real platform to draw attention to his cause and much more credibility to get people to listen.

Doing it this way is sadly just a train wreck that in the end will benefit no one except those that said this wouldn't work in the first place.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It is pretty bad the Rockets need to being up someone from D League this early in the season instead of using Royce. There is rookie requirements to pay them, but we may be looking at a breach of contract and he will end up with nothing but a signing bonus. There are too many players with no anxiety issues that will play for much less. It is called D League.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
This is one of the stupidest things he's ever tweeted

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
If you haven't disclosed your illness to your employer, you should, b/c your entitled accommodations. #AnxietyTroopers

He's tweeted a bunch of stupid ****. So much that I have quit following him. Like I've stated before, if he wants to be an #AnxietyTrooper he should play and quit ********. He needs to prove to everyone this illness won't get in the way of things. He's better than this.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Yeah, this is sad. He is turing this whole thing into a joke, and it isn't, and accomplishing the exact opposite of what he has said he wants to do.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Somewhere, someone in his life has convinced him that being a professional victim has merit.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
He needs to quit playing the victim. Everyone in this world has issues. Hell most of these kids in the NBA grew up in the ghetto and had nothing. Now they are working their butts off to help their families and friends. Instead of being a little *****, he needs to get off his lazy *** and do something about it. Anxiety trooper my ***.

TallKidIsTall

Mar 4, 2012
Fairfield
does anyone else feel like he doesnt want to play?

he cares more about getting his name as an anxiety trooper in the news so the condition gets more awareness it seems

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
His pyschaitrists? Hope they do not kill the golden goose or they will not get paid.

No.....this happened well before he became a Rocket. And for that matter....even a Cyclone. This was a life lesson learned from a family member or friend. Where there's a will, there's a way. And a means to an end. I think that is what ISU gave him. He is no dumb a** and he didn't just wake up this morning and go......oh no. He thinks/feels that someone owes him a living....on his terms. And if I didn't know better, I might think he was nothing more than a self involved BS artist. But this goes a little deeper than that.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Can someone objectively recount the situation for those of us who have not made up our mind?

TIA!

Cyclonefan89

Oct 25, 2010
Ankeny
Can someone objectively recount the situation for those of us who have not made up our mind?

TIA!
Its hard not to be opinionated on this, because of the lack of real facts about what is going on.
At this point Royce is making Hoiberg look bad, Freds recruiting pitch is that he knows the NBA guys and he can hook you up.
What do you think Royce might have done to Fred's NBA friends, by being (so far) a bust like this?
Royce isn't only letting himself and his family down, he is ****ing over Fred and the program at ISU

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Its hard not to be opinionated on this, because of the lack of real facts about what is going on.
At this point Royce is making Hoiberg look bad, Freds recruiting pitch is that he knows the NBA guys and he can hook you up.
What do you think Royce might have done to Fred's NBA friends, by being (so far) a bust like this?
Royce isn't only letting himself and his family down, he is ****ing over Fred and the program at ISU

Seems objective to me.

In all seriousness, I think it's hard to tell if Fred's reputation is tarnished because of this. It's not like Royce had zero special requests in college that would have been hard to accommodate in the NBA. Didn't he drive with his Dad to the 2nd round of the NCCA tournament while his teammates flew? I thought I remember the announcers saying that on the TV telecast.

Fred isn't stupid, and nothing is for certain. He had a whole year with Royce. I'm sure there was some caution to the NBA in his recommendation.

Also, this isn't what the NFL used to be where rookies break the bank. There's 2 rounds of the NBA draft and historically, it seems like anyone outside of the top half of the first round that makes it is a heck of a steal. It seems like a lot of these guys slip into obscurity. Royce was talented and he was going to get his shot regardless of what Fred said.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
With all the new Rocket people melding on the squad, sitting out is the wrong thing to do. I do not see any other NBA team wanting to deal with this situation. It is the Rockets or the highway. Royce needs to show some value for the millions spent on him and a highlight reel of ten pre season plays is a little like the minnesota scene.