Last minute career fair advice.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Don't waste all your time waiting in line for the biggest companies that you've heard of. Talk to the little guys that may not have anybody in line at their booth too. It's a numbers game if you aren't the brightest person in your class. Play it intelligently.

This. Most kids graduate wanting to work for the name brands (John Deere, Microsoft, Rockwell Collins, etc). They don't even acknowledge the smaller companies where there is often less competition. Just the nature of the game - use that to your advantage.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
This. Most kids graduate wanting to work for the name brands (John Deere, Microsoft, Rockwell Collins, etc). They don't even acknowledge the smaller companies where there is often less competition. Just the nature of the game - use that to your advantage.
I've never understood this as well. I have gone before and have seen a huge line for Boeing (who will maybe hire 2 people from ISU) but then some very respectable Iowa based companies who will probably hire a ton of ISU students have not a single person at their booth.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've never understood this as well. I have gone before and have seen a huge line for Boeing (who will maybe hire 2 people from ISU) but then some very respectable Iowa based companies who will probably hire a ton of ISU students have not a single person at their booth.

But Boeing brah... and if you're a computer engineer, you should go to the Business Career fair. Talk to all the companies at the engineering one but no lines!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

On that note, I would not hesitate to walk up to a booth for a small company and strike up a conversation (yes without having researched). Sure, do your homework - but don't avoid a company that might have an opportunity just because you don't know their story.

resident

Nov 13, 2006
seattle

I'll also add that if you want to work for the big name brands but don't make it out of school, get the right experience and they will come knocking later. I just got hired by Microsoft earlier this summer after 4 years experience at my previous employer. Keep this in mind at the career fair if you are looking for full-time positions.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
You need to be able to carry on a conversation and speak with some knowledge. Find the companies where you are actually talking with someone who does the job vs. a full time recruiter. Most full time recruiters can't tell you squat about the jobs they are recruiting for other than what's on the sheet of paper they have. The people who recruit and actually do the job everyday are far more valuable because they actually know what it takes.

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
I'll be recruiting there Tuesday and this guy has some great tips, few others: Firm Handshake, look the person in the eye, act like you want to talk to the person.

If you didn't have at least 1 (2 is better) internship be ready to discuss why. Target 5-6 Companies that have jobs you're wanting and crash coarse tonight learning about the company the jobs available. Apply for those jobs "online" and go up and introduce yourself to the Company Recruiter introducing self and letting them know you applied, be ready as they might ask you why you applied, what intrigued you to apply. Are you willing to relocate? If not you're limiting your ability to brand your skills.

Email me your resume privately, will review for you, Good Luck

Thanks for the offer but have had numerous people review it for me. As a recruiter what's your opinion with on campus involvement? I've worked all four years while I have been at school to pay for my student loans, debt, and hobbies and have very little involvement. My last employer did not care about this at all and in fact we got along very well.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Carry a pocket full of Tootsie Rolls and offer each person who talks to you a piece of candy. They may not hire you, but they will not forget the kid that was handing out Tootsie Rolls to the recruiters.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I'll be recruiting there Tuesday and this guy has some great tips, few others: Firm Handshake, look the person in the eye, act like you want to talk to the person.

Email me your resume privately, will review for you, Good Luck

privately? I think just posting his resume right here on CF is best--lots of experts who can/will help. Look what he's gotten so far.....whiskey breath, bean burritos, sleep pants. CFers are here to help. Post that bad boy, let the help really begin!

resident

Nov 13, 2006
seattle
Carry a pocket full of Tootsie Rolls and offer each person who talks to you a piece of candy. They may not hire you, but they will not forget the kid that was handing out Tootsie Rolls to the recruiters.

If I were talking to a recruit that desperate to leave an impression I'd assume there is nothing remarkable about their skills.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
some good tips here - if nothing pans out right away from the Career fair - take the rest of this semester to spend extra time with your fave major-related professor or advisor. They (ok, most) love to help their students, so take advantage of it. But they can't recommend you for jobs if they don't know you very well. There is a whole lot of "who you know" out there and professors/advisors are a great link to the "former student who is now big-wig at company you'd love" type of thing.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
So, what would the prospects be for an Agronomy student who is fluent in Chinese (written, spoken and research time in country.)

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
So, what would the prospects be for an Agronomy student who is fluent in Chinese (written, spoken and research time in country.)

The Chinese ag industry is starting to open up for the U.S. I was introduced today to a new (Chinese) employee helping head up marketing there for my company. One of my co-workers is originally from China. I would think that fluency and experience with the culture would be a hugely valuable asset.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Lots of great tips here, especially in 2015's post. I always went to the career fairs, and got the job that I have now at my last career fair this past spring. I'll just add a couple things.

The best advice I ever got was to pick out one or two companies that you are interested in, but not your top choices, and go to them first as a "warm up" to kind of get a feel for questions that will be asked and to prepare yourself. My 4th or 5th time through it was usually my best.

Also, go early. I always tried to be there within a half hour after it starts. Interview slots fill up fast and they are more likely to remember the early people before they see hundreds of other faces that start to run together.

Lastly, don't get discouraged if you don't get a job at the fall career fair, lots of companies are looking to hire winter graduates and don't really know what will be available in May. The spring career fair will be the real time to shine and if you make good contacts now they will remember you.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
privately? I think just posting his resume right here on CF is best--lots of experts who can/will help. Look what he's gotten so far.....whiskey breath, bean burritos, sleep pants. CFers are here to help. Post that bad boy, let the help really begin!

In addition to the whiskey breath and burritos, i'd also say using big words in a conversation with the recruiter helps immensely. Using words like hermaphrodite and sociopath really piques their attention. Especially if you can work them both into the same sentence during the conversation.

Good luck!

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Make sure to heavily emphasize this during your discussion. Unfortunately, the companies that will likely view this as a huge asset would be the larger ones such as Monsanto, Syngenta, Pioneer, etc. which will all tell you to apply online

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Step 1. Get a job offer
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit