Last 8 games..

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MattCampbell

Mar 12, 2021
Does it seem like the half court offense passes a lot, but always to someone running and facing away from the basket? Thus no threat to shoot OR drive, and the defender can play super aggressive because the guy catching the ball is just going to stop and have to regroup before he can do anything. Not to mention if allows them to try and jump the pass, but if they miss they have time to recover.

It's just a scheme that is trying to be "safe" and prevent turnovers, but it actuality it's non-threatening to the defense and allows them to be aggressive and overplay. The result has been worse looks and more live ball turnovers leading to run outs.

I would assume this approach is based on our personnel. It’s not like the staff doesn’t know what they are working with. It worked early but has obviously run its course (as expected). IMO, it’s coaching the guys you have and giving them the best chance to win. I’m sure TJ would like to spread it out and play more offense oriented, but that would be a train wreck with this group.

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
Amazing to be even be talking about these things considering where we were last year.

It's been a strange and disappointing year to be a Cyclone fan but a thought just occurred to me. I've been a Cyclone fan for longer than I care to mention. And I'm sure that expectations for football this last season have never been higher. And then with the start the men's basketball team had this year the expectations were pretty high going into the Big 12 schedule. And honestly it's been disappointing on both accounts. But the thought that occurred to me is I'm sure expectations have never been as high for football and basketball as they have been. The bar has been raised.

And that's a good, great, thing.

I've lived in Oklahoma for a long time and when OU loses one of their first football games of the year the entire state goes into a deep, dark depression. It's actually kind of funny. But that's because their expectations are so high.

So this high expectation thing is a relatively rare and new thing to deal with. But like I said before, it's a great thing.

But the women are kicking it. So no disappointment there at all.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Not convinced 7-11 is going to get ISU in the NCAA Tournament. That would likely move ISU out of the Big12 Tournament Wednesday opener to play KU, Baylor or TT in the first round. Not really optimistic we could beat those teams, so a 7-12 record against Big12 opponents.

I know the analytics folks love to cite Quad 1 wins but remember the selection committee is made up of reps from other conferences. So putting ISU in after going 7-12 the last 2 months of the season, means one fewer team for another P6 conference.

That said, our upcoming 6 game window is against teams we can beat:

K-State - 2x
OU, OSU, WVU in Hilton
TCU on the road

IMO if we can't go 5-1 against that group, we don't deserve to be an NCAA Tournament team.

I feel like 7-11 is a lock. Even going 0-1 in KC. The problem is, I don't see any signs that this team is capable of winning 4 more games. I'd put the over/under at 1.5 and take the under.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
No, it wouldn’t. Our blowout losses affect our NET and so do our close wins against the sub 300 ranked teams. Just because our conference is tough doesn’t mean 7-11 gets it. Time to just drop the tournament talk. It’s more likely we finish 3-15.
We have at least 7 quad 1 wins. Win out at home or steal one. 4 wins is what we need

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
There’s a reason a team like Iowa is ranked 15 spots ahead of us with only 1 quad one win.
I’m still not convinced they are a tournament team yet. Like how can they be? Who have they beat who’s worth a damn??

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I’m still not convinced they are a tournament team yet. Like how can they be? Who have they beat who’s worth a damn??

Agreed. Which is why you're seeing 'experts' drop them a bit in their brackets. For instance, USAToday has Iowa a 10 seed, Palm now has them an 11 seed.

They really need to pick up a win against Michigan State in IC which COULD happen but very unlikely. They're also gonna stumble on the road somewhere like tomorrow at Maryland or at Michigan.

What works in their favor, even though they still wouldn't have beaten anyone, is they still play Nebraska twice, host Northwestern, host Michigan, and host Michigan State. They'll likely go 3-1 at worst at home.

If they finish 11-9 or 10-10 in the league with ZERO Q1 wins and get in and we finish like 6-12 with 5+ Q1 wins that will be a travesty...but I think it very well will happen.

QBEagles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2014
I feel like 7-11 is a lock. Even going 0-1 in KC. The problem is, I don't see any signs that this team is capable of winning 4 more games. I'd put the over/under at 1.5 and take the under.

I'd take the over on 1.5. Not confident about over 3.5, but 20-12 (7-11) gets us in. We're in now, and 4-0 vs Q2 and 0-4 vs Q1 treads water. You could make a case at 19 wins, but I'm pretty sure a 6-12 conference record has never been an at large before, and I don't want to try to be the first.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Iowa going to the tournament is like when ISU went to the Camping World Bowl in 2019.

Not a bad team, but haven't beaten anyone and them going kind of feels like some sort of courtesy.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I AGREE I don't see this team winning 4 more games either. but its been a good season with 13 straight wins and a BLOW OUT WIN OVER IOWA....Sure better than the last two seasons ....and remember TJ'S THE WAY!!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd take the over on 1.5. Not confident about over 3.5, but 20-12 (7-11) gets us in. We're in now, and 4-0 vs Q2 and 0-4 vs Q1 treads water. You could make a case at 19 wins, but I'm pretty sure a 6-12 conference record has never been an at large before, and I don't want to try to be the first.

On the other hand if there was going to be a year, this may be it. The committee may need to throw darts for selections.

Reactions: jctisu

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Sorry, I've typed this again and again.
In terms of record, this team is exactly where we should have expected them to be. Now, are they able to win 4 more games. Hope springs eternal. At least it does in me.
I think the key is Brockington. He is a great player. If he if off, we are going to probably lose. Nobody else is capable of making up the slack. It’s not that easy, as people know how to defend him now. I certainly do not blame him, but to win he needs 25/30 points on a 50.%+ shooting night. If he is “on” I think we win 4. If he is “off” I think we maybe win 1.

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Bruce W. is no Bruce Wayne and he is jealous of ISU fans. Bramlage is now known as the Octagon with Room.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Thought on Tristan Enaruna, I think if Cyclones want to make it to the tournament with decent seed (7, 8, 9) his production is going to be key over next few weeks, especially this Saturday vs KSU.

My Thoughts:

I can't really decide where I stand on Tristan E, I get defense is the top priority of this squad but at some point (next few years, especially after IZB leaves) we need some pop on offense, and I feel like he can bring that, next year and the year after potentially. I get he hasn't been great on defense but the dude is a phenomenal rebounder/jumper and kinda makes up for it there, analytically-wise he is second on the team behind IZB.

I really would like to see him get a few more minutes here down the stretch to get a full analysis of him. If i was him I would kinda be annoyed playing for 3 mins then getting hooked after every little mistake, he is already a timid player and I feel like if TJ were to just tell him "you're gonna play 20 mins tonight regardless of what happens, so just go play" we may see a different Tristan.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Bruce W. is no Bruce Wayne and he is jealous of ISU fans. Bramlage is now known as the Octagon with Room.

Fitz loathed the Weber hiring from day one, as he did then-AD John Currie. He's firmly in the Cult of Frank. That said, if K-State doesn't make the NCAA field, Weber should and will be replaced.