Lasagna

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

One or two

• One

Votes: 77 84.6%
  • Two

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think most people don’t use enough noodles. It starts to taste like you are eating spaghetti sauce with meat and a random noodle mixed in. Noodle heavier and blend different cheeses with it and it will be better, and I don’t think mine is the best. I think it’s like a middle of the road food. Don’t love it but don’t hate. I won’t order it at a restaurant.

This is absolutely correct. Most people do not make it as a pasta - they make it as a casserole with some noodles as garnish. And I agree - it's not offensive or anything (although my mom used to make hers by not cooking the non-precooked noodles, and it traumatized me for life as a child). But it's just not spectacular.

I’m fully onboard with your Mac and cheese take. It’s all the same and almost never that memorable. Mac and cheese is for 5 year olds.

Yeah, and some places do weird stuff with it. Like - I love me some pepperjack cheese, but rarely is it good in macaroni. It just tastes of "trying too hard."

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My take on lasagna is there's just no way the work is worth the hassle. What a pain in the *** and mess for what is essentially just pasta.

Reactions: Angie

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I've never tried anything but milk for scrambled eggs. I didn't realize that was a cost-savings thing. What are other options?

Oh, put cinnamon and vanilla in your french toast mix, too. Half and half if you have some to use up. And marscapone on top.

sour cream is good. Started doing that after watching it on a cooking show once and anytime we have that in the fridge and are making eggs, that’s the route we take.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I also start with a noodle on the bottom of the glass pan. There will inevitably be fluids that work their way down and help cook the noodle so you don't need to add sauce or anything. I do however like my lasagna to have a little crisp to it. This method can produce a more firm bottom layer that helps with serving and adding a bit more texture.

I trust that your desire for having "a little crisp" and "a more firm bottom layer" led to you vote for two lasagnas not becoming one when stacked.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
sour cream is good. Started doing that after watching it on a cooking show once and anytime we have that in the fridge and are making eggs, that’s the route we take.
I have some sour cream in the fridge, might have to try adding some to some scrambled eggs

Reactions: clone4life82

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I trust that your desire for having "a little crisp" and "a more firm bottom layer" led to you vote for two lasagnas not becoming one when stacked.

Nah, it's kind of like putting potato chips in my sandwich. A little texture goes a long way!

• Friendly
  • Sad
Reactions: Cycsk and Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My take on lasagna is there's just no way the work is worth the hassle. What a pain in the *** and mess for what is essentially just pasta.

It doesn't seem as labor-intensive if who you're feeding truly appreciates it. I'm lucky in that regard (I make it only a couple of times a year and it's a requested main course). If it were just me, I probably wouldn't bother.

For most of my life, I was, at best, "meh" about lasagna, until I learned how to make it and people approved of the final product. That makes it worthwhile to an extent.