Laptop advice

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I'm heading off to college next year, and I'm looking for advice on a laptop. Right now I'm thinking I may go with a 17" screen (older bro has one, good for ESPN3, but I'm concerned about portability), and I definitely want Windows 7. Looking for a good quality, fairly priced one under $1000. My grandfather, who's buying it for my graduation gift, already has a Dell account, and likes the Insprion 17R. Any suggestions/help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I would never get a 17", but that's just me. I've had a 13" Dell Studio for a year. It' been great so far.

Make sure whatever you get has an HDMI port. Then you can just watch ESPN3 on your TV.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I would never get a 17", but that's just me. I've had a 13" Dell Studio for a year. It' been great so far.

Make sure whatever you get has an HDMI port. Then you can just watch ESPN3 on your TV.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Get a smaller size laptop for portability with an HDMI port.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Also, what site is best for purchasing them from? Newegg is one I've heard.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Amazon is great for them.

Here's one laptop i might recommend. Taking it to class everyday, id go with something thin and light and about 13" for portability. I have a model similar to this (though not with this year's upgraded specs) and have been pretty happy with it. You might notice there's no disc drive, and ive found that the benefits you get in having a light laptop far outweigh the benefits of having that drive. You can always pick up a $20 external drive for anything you need to install that's on disc, but you wont have to lug that around everywhere you go (which is essentially what you're doing with any laptop that has one built in)

Amazon.com: ASUS U31JG-XA1 13.3-Inch Laptop - Black: Computer & Accessories

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Agreed with the 13 inch. I have a Dell XPS M1330, it has an HDMI output as well. I love it. Check out the dell outlet, you can get more bang for your buck.

Reactions: cyismydog

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Agreed with the 13 inch. I have a Dell XPS M1330, it has an HDMI output as well. I love it. Check out the dell outlet, you can get more bang for your buck.

I have the XPS M1530. If i had to do it over again, I'd choose the 13" over the 15".

jtm

Mar 31, 2006
I'm heading off to college next year, and I'm looking for advice on a laptop. Right now I'm thinking I may go with a 17" screen (older bro has one, good for ESPN3, but I'm concerned about portability), and I definitely want Windows 7. Looking for a good quality, fairly priced one under $1000. My grandfather, who's buying it for my graduation gift, already has a Dell account, and likes the Insprion 17R. Any suggestions/help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Check with ISU first to see if they have a student discount program. If so, you can generally buy it right through the university site.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

If you're going Dell, like IcSyU said, just go to Dell's site. And check out XPS - they're supposed to be awesome.

Lenovos and Toshibas are really good as well.

Personally, I had no problems with the portability of a 17.3" laptop. Big strong guy like me the weight just didn't bother me all that much. My next laptop I want to go a full 18".

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I like my larger 17 inch because of the better keyboard(not tightly packed keys, and you can get a 10-key keyboard which is really helpful if you do a lot of spreadsheets or math. I walk all over downtown Chicago with mine, no problems. I also have a docking station at home to extend the life of my screen and keyboard.

I've had a Dell, Toshiba, and now an Sony Vaio. I like the Sony the best. I haven't had any problem with any of them, though the Sony is by far the fastest of three, but also the newest. Also, go test some laptops at Best Buy. Keyboard and mouse pad feel can be important and vary a lot from brand to brand.

Like the others said - Dell, buy from Dell. They have a refurbished/returned site, that gives great deals on those. I have a friend who buys his business's laptops through there and hasn't had any problems.

Otherwise, I like NewEgg for electronics.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
Newegg is great; I've bought tons of stuff from them over the years. The strange thing is that they don't always have the best prices on preconfigured machines like laptops. There prices are good and newegg is great; just sometimes you can do better. One of the places you can do better is at the Dell website like others have said. They run specials all the time and have 15%-25% coupons. I think there best deals are on pre-configured systems but if that is close to what you want anyway ... go for it.

I echo the others on 17 inch; they are kind of bulky and heavy. Nobody has mentioned the 15 inchers which I think is a pretty good compromise.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
If you want to buy online, Tigerdirect.com is an excellent vendor as we have dealt with them for years with no complaints.

From what I've read from the tech blog sites I subscribe to, stay away from Sony, Compaq and Acer. Gateway and HP have as many detractors as promoters. The brands that have the highest numbers of positive reviews are Lenovo, MSI, ASUS and Dell. TIFWIW.

Last edited: