Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
It's RAGBRAI, I'm sure if you polled everyone in it you'd find worse than lying and doping in the crowd. Certainly both... After each day.

Plus.. its RAGBRAI..

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
It's not so much the cheating. It's the years of denying, lying, and smearing of anyone who accused him that I've got a problem with. He earned his penalty.

Exactly. The smearing of people telling the truth is the biggest thing to me. He deliberately tried to disparage and destroy the reputations (and livelihoods) of people who investigated his cover-up. That is the biggest thing to me.

Imagine if someone tried to defame you and destroy your reputation and put your job at risk because you were following leads and uncovering facts. Would you be ok that the person was doing that to you and you could potentially lose your job?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I am ok with the guy. Other people have cheated in sports and lied about things and didn't get it this bad. The guy tried to do some good things with his fame. All in all I would say his impact on the world has had more positive then negative effect for the masses.

This is kind of how I feel about it. Yes, the guy cheated and lied about it. What about ARob or all the other guys that have and probably still are doping? Didn't they deny that they were on drugs? Didn't they try to discredit their accusers?

Lance at least was trying to do some good for the rest of the world with Livestrong. Maybe it isn't run to everyone's standards, but I bet it is better than 1/2 the other charitable organizations out there.

I am not a huge fan of Lance because of the way he acted in and out of the sport, but if you can be arrogant and be in sports.........

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I don't believe Livestrong contributes to cancer research. All their money goes to awareness and support for those with the disease and their families. That has been one criticism of the organization -- donors think they are supporting cancer research.

Bingo... Livestrong simply exists to take money and spread awareness of cancer. Its been documented that Livestrong contributed pretty much nothing to actual cancer research. Livestrong did line the pockets of big time agencies though so that's pretty great.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
This is kind of how I feel about it. Yes, the guy cheated and lied about it. What about ARob or all the other guys that have and probably still are doping? Didn't they deny that they were on drugs? Didn't they try to discredit their accusers?

Lance at least was trying to do some good for the rest of the world with Livestrong. Maybe it isn't run to everyone's standards, but I bet it is better than 1/2 the other charitable organizations out there.

I am not a huge fan of Lance because of the way he acted in and out of the sport, but if you can be arrogant and be in sports.........

U mean Arod? Baseball guy got caught and is paying the price. Arob football guy has never been shown to be a doper.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I hate to be this guy, but I also think Lance used his situation to propel himself as all he cared about was Lance. Like another poster said, his type of cancer results in a .8% death rate. He saw symptoms, had a quick procedure done to cut one of nuts out, and is now living large off of it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
He was a cool dude on last year's Ragbrai. I get the feeling he wishes he would never have gone in to high level cycling and gotten mixed up in the PHD era. He could have done pretty much anything, superb athlete.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Arob football guy has never been shown to be a doper.

resize.php

This ARob was a dope(r)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Lance Armstrong did more to cure a disease that is real than 99.999% of the rest of
the world. I really don't care if he cheated at a race that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know I would rather have cancer cured than somebody winning a bicycle race.

Livestrong has donated very little to cancer research, and has completely stopped funding any research some time ago. Not saying Livestrong doesn't do good things, just that the whole "curing" cancer thing is a big misconception.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Lance Armstrong did more to cure a disease that is real than 99.999% of the rest of
the world. I really don't care if he cheated at a race that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know I would rather have cancer cured than somebody winning a bicycle race.

Nobody would care that he cheated if he had owned up to it when he was caught. Instead he did nothing but deny and did everything he could to ruin the reputation of anyone who accussed him of cheating.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
He raised MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to fight cancer. He also gave a few million of his own personal money to fight cancer. He might be an arrogant jerk, but he did more then all of us on this board combined to fight a disease. So he's not a doctor, but he raised money for doctors to use on research. He gave hope to millions fighting cancer and he still reaches out and records videos for cancer patients in his spare. Which is still more then most people on this board has done.

So he cheated on a bike race.... So did 95% of the field. Yes he lied to cover his ***. So did 95% of the field at the time. And so would 95% of the people on CF if put in that position. I don't feel bad for him attacking the riders that accused him. They made money off of Lance plain and simple. They did the drugs too for several years before finally either getting caught or having a guilty conscious. And they made money doing it. Not a whole lot of other teams were knocking on Landis' door or Hamilton to be on their team. I find it funny that everyone that is going after Lance in one way or another made money off of him during the time period.

So I'll take the good over the bad and welcome him to Iowa if I would happen to see him.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I find it funny that everyone that is going after Lance in one way or another made money off of him during the time period.

Newspapers, reporters, TV stations tried to find out the truth and he ruined quite a few of their careers.