(Lack of) Iowa Football Fan Support

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Iowa State hosted three ranked conference opponents last year and had around 51k for all three games. That is 10k empty seats in a small- to medium-sized.

#13 Baylor 50,842
#12 Oklahoma 50,662
#19 WVU 51,365

I'd say that's very good considering ISU had a 1-3, 1-8, and 3-8 records, respectively, for those games. How many other schools would have that level of support for a team going nowhere?

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
OK? You're comparing a 3 loss team playing the #18 team in the country to a nationally televised Saturday night game where an undefeated team is hosting a top 5 team. Like I said you can get tickets cheaper for this "big game" on the secondary market than you can for when ISU comes to town.

Well it is hard to find a comparable situation. I just know that ISU has a very hard time selling out a stadium when they are decent that has 10,000 less seats and back in those days 15,000 less seats. They also have much cheaper ticket prices. So I have a very hard time believing they would sell out a game where every ticket is $95 with 10,000 more seats when they can't sell out a stadium with 10,000 less seats for $45 a ticket.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
You mean that FRIDAY night game?

A Friday night game and we weren't undefeated. Two undefeated teams, one top 5 in the country, under the lights on a Saturday night, in September so weather is good is VASTLY different than the conditions of ISU vs OSU in 2011.

Fact is, given Iowa's history as a football program, not selling out for a game like this is news and kind of pathetic. Period.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
If we had 20+ wins in the last 2 years and were hosting a top 5 team for national television for a prime time Saturday game we would sell out in a heartbeat. You're comparing rotten apples to oranges.
FIFY

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
A Friday night game and we weren't undefeated. Two undefeated teams, one top 5 in the country, under the lights on a Saturday night, in September so weather is good is VASTLY different than the conditions of ISU vs OSU in 2011.

Fact is, given Iowa's history as a football program, not selling out for a game like this is news and kind of pathetic. Period.

I'm not sticking up for Iowa. It should be a sellout. But I hardly doubt ISU would be able to fill Iowa's stadium with the same ticket prices.

• Agree
Reactions: hawxrox09

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well it is hard to find a comparable situation. I just know that ISU has a very hard time selling out a stadium when they are decent that has 10,000 less seats and back in those days 15,000 less seats. They also have much cheaper ticket prices. So I have a very hard time believing they would sell out a game where every ticket is $95 with 10,000 more seats when they can't sell out a stadium with 10,000 less seats for $45 a ticket.

When has ISU been "decent" and hosted a top 5 team for a nationally televised Satyurday night game? Look how much support the football program has gotten when we've been terrible, you're crazy to think it wouldn't be sold out if we were successful.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
When I read hok fans actually thought GameDay should be coming to Iowa City this weekend I immediately thought- Can we get a Jim Mora soundbite for "GameDay????"
Best I can do.
giphy.gif

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I actually think it is pretty impressive that the little state of Iowa can support two P5 programs. On any given saturday, 130,000 fans show up. That is more impressive than Nebraska or Wisconsin selling 80K since they are the only P5 school in the state.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
It will be hard to get farmer's to any games after this weekend, unless they get rained out of the fields. HNF

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
1) Game Day should be in Iowa City before Times ******* Square
2) Prices and time of game are ridiculous. 4+hrs not including travel or tailgating makes it hard. Who wants to drive home at 2 am from IC?

Game Day should've been in either Stillwater or Athens. Iowa City? Iowa's not even ranked.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
2011 was a bowl team for you guys and you couldn't sellout a night game against Oklahoma St. A game you won in double OT.

Nice try... That win is what put Iowa State in a bowl game! On paper they blew their bowl chances @Colorado and needed to beat either OSU or @OU to become bowl eligible, which literally looked impossible.

Edit: Wrong season regarding the loss at Colorado but my point is still valid. Our chances of a Bowl game were bleak.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When KCRG news in CR did this story last night they talked about "fans frustrations with poor wireless access around Kinnick" as a reason some fans do not attend.

That is sad.... "I'm not going to the game because it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to send my selfies."

I'm with you but the statement is accurate. There's a reason big time programs like tOSU have put in wireless internet stadium wide... You have to change with the times.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We are told time and time again how much larger the Iowa fan base is than Iowa States yet the argument is Iowa State wouldn't sell out Kinnick. No **** captain obvious. At least not yet...

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
OK? You're comparing a 3 loss team playing the #18 team in the country to a nationally televised Saturday night game where an undefeated team is hosting a top 5 team. Like I said you can get tickets cheaper for this "big game" on the secondary market than you can for when ISU comes to town.

Supply and demand it really isn't that difficult to figure out. It's basic economics.

Aside from it looking pretty on TV it doesn't really matter to the bottom line and in fact one could argue that selling the seats for $25 just to get people in the door isn't an economically sound decision. Iowa is probably making more money being close to a sellout then they would be if they lowered prices to sell out every game.

It's simple math. Don't get me wrong I think it's pretty sad they can't sell out a night game vs. Penn State but like I said in my previous post it isn't like this isn't a new issue at Iowa or just about any other school for that matter.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Supply and demand it really isn't that difficult to figure out. It's basic economics.

Aside from it looking pretty on TV it doesn't really matter to the bottom line and in fact one could argue that selling the seats for $25 just to get people in the door isn't an economically sound decision. Iowa is probably making more money being close to a sellout then they would be if they lowered prices to sell out every game.

It's simple math. Don't get me wrong I think it's pretty sad they can't sell out a night game vs. Penn State but like I said in my previous post it isn't like this isn't a new issue at Iowa or just about any other school for that matter.

Is the opportunity cost of putting $ before the fan worth the extra revenue? IMO that's a big piece of the equation that is getting left out. Let's not pretend that Iowa is in desperate need of the extra gate dollars Their season tickets have already shrunk because of the price gouging that has occurred hence the number of tickets that were even available for the general public. It's a bigger issue than a ticket price for one game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron