Lack of bench is killing us....

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
For some reason it didn't matter last year.

I have said this numerous times before but Georges needs to find a way to be able to rebound. It's big liability when he's has to guard someone inside and he's our 4th best re bounder. This is going to happen when we play against size and when he shoots like he did tonight, he's a net liability. Given, he won't shoot like that probably again this year but it is what it is. I don't know if it's fatigue or what but he doesn't even look like he cares to rebound.

I think Monte needs to see as much time as anyone out there with Kane at the two. I thought defensively he did great things like he has all year and he is the only one besides Kane who can get to wherever he wants on the floor. Thomas is a shooter that hasn't added other offensive tools and Naz, right now, doesn't look anything close to what he did early. As a team, Hogue was Hogue and Monte was Monte. They were both what you expect on a given night but everyone else played poorly. That happens and you can't afford for that to happen against a decent team.
Why do you think it did not matter last year? Because foul trouble limited his minutes? Georges and our undersized posts, more often than not, could have used more breaks the past two season.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Georges has to do better. Period. He's flat footed when they need him to grad boards. I wish he could get even 3 inches off the ground. The way he's looked this year, I'd be surprised to ever see him dunk, if he even can. Still a good player, don't get me wrong, but it's becoming clearer with each game why so many other school passed on him. I want him to make me eat these words very badly.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If this team could get 3 more points each out the 5th to 7th player on the team the lack of bench would not be talked about.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If this team could get 3 more points each out the 5th to 7th player on the team the lack of bench would not be talked about.
I disagree, in the past wins I have brought this up, we need to gain depth down below down the stretch, with loses it is just more visible.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
And if Royce White was playing as senior we would be Big 12 favorites. 9 more points would be more than doubling what we usually get against teams that are at least decent. Another issue is Naz and MT are not great defenders or distributors or rebounders. They are role players with very limited roles.

15-20 points a game is what we need from the non-Big Four. In games against non-cupcakes it is much more likely we get 10 or less.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Georges has to do better. Period. He's flat footed when they need him to grad boards. I wish he could get even 3 inches off the ground. The way he's looked this year, I'd be surprised to ever see him dunk, if he even can. Still a good player, don't get me wrong, but it's becoming clearer with each game why so many other school passed on him. I want him to make me eat these words very badly.
Niang had to block out against Embiid tonight. That's not the best matchup for him for obvious reasons. I think he will be fine.

But to the more general point, yes, lack of size is killing us. Every defensive board the last two games has brought on a huge sigh of relief. If they don't start to shoot it better and/or get something out of the Edozie or Gibson, it's going to be a huge struggle. I'm really interested to see how they play against UT. Crucial game, all of a sudden.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
What was SDW going to do today? Percy? Edozie? The same as everyone else on the court. Miss shots. Playing more people wouldn't have done **** today.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
And if Royce White was playing as senior we would be Big 12 favorites. 9 more points would be more than doubling what we usually get against teams that are at least decent. Another issue is Naz and MT are not great defenders or distributors or rebounders. They are role players with very limited roles.

15-20 points a game is what we need from the non-Big Four. In games against non-cupcakes it is much more likely we get 10 or less.

All I am saying the team needs to get more out of the 5th, 6th, and 7th player on the team. Its not like that is expecting a lot.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I feel like SDW should be seeing 4-5 min or so a game. In the rare times I have seen him come in and play 1-2 minutes I feel like he brings quite a bit of energy and plays some pretty good defense. Plus he is capable of getting hot. Feel like he is trying really hard to prove himself and should at least get a chance.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Our big men got beat too often tonight. They had to work very hard, but I don't think it was a problem of any of them being tired. Frustrated at times, maybe, but I don't think being tired was the issue.

Now, having said that, it would have been great to have McKay on the court. Or Royce White (who was standing near the bench.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I honestly thought we'd be deeper this year than we have been. Bluford leaving didn't really even matter, as he wasn't playing anyway. Fred seems pretty reluctant to go deeper than 8, and really just 7. I don't know if this is due to guys 8-12 being sub par athletes or if Fred just doesn't see the need to use anyone other than his 7 best. I can't imagine though, that at this point guys like Gibson, Edozie, and SDW would contribute any less than MT and at times Naz and Monte.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It would be really interesting to know what Gibson did to get himself so far into the dog house that he can't even get a few minutes in a game like last night, where the starters are gassed and a big body is needed...

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
If we collectively as a team make 4 more 3's last night this thread is titled "OMFG THE TENACITY AND NEVER GIVE UP ATTITUDE OF THIS AWESOME TEAM", and all this hand wringing is for naught.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Let's go kick Texas' *****.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If we collectively as a team make 4 more 3's last night this thread is titled "OMFG THE TENACITY AND NEVER GIVE UP ATTITUDE OF THIS AWESOME TEAM", and all this hand wringing is for naught.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Let's go kick Texas' *****.

I completely disagree..... With wins or loses this is a glaring issue, even if we won I would have still added this thread, it would not have had the response that it does but it would still be. My fear is Texas is bigger down below.....