KXNO Sports Fanatics

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Have mixed feelings about Murph and Andy ending. Have certainly spent a lot of hours listening to it, but over the past couple years, it has devolved into about half TOE coverage, and half non-sports stuff.

I started to tune them out two years ago during football season when ISU had an upcoming game against Texas, and the other school was idle. Downs was solo on a Wednesday afternoon, and spent the entire first hour talking about Brian Ferentz and the inept Iowa offense. I continued to listen while thinking "surely this can't last forever." It did.

Fales returned the next day and I hoped for some ISU discussion. Nope. The entire first hour was spent re-hashing what Downs talked about on the prior day. My god, the worst offense in the country does not warrant this level of coverage compared to a team that, at the time, was still in the hunt for a conference title.

From that point, I have I just turned it off whenever I hear a Garza, Clark, or Brian reference, and I usually don't turn it back on till the next day. These days, I probably listen to about 5% of the total airtime.

H

Garza getting more run post college than Haliburton and even 4 year starter all time Cyclone great Purdy is one of those massive "tells". I mean you're talking about GLeague/bench warmer vs starting superbowl QB and All Star starter, then on top of it the superbowl is just more popular than any NBA in Iowa. Monte getting far more bench minutes on the same team the past few months might have forced them to calm down the Garza coverage a bit.

A few weeks ago they got the Pacers GM on there in the middle of their deepest playoff run in a quarter century and Murph tried to talk more about Connor McCaffe than Tyrese.

They try most of the time but in the end there were always more sympathetic to Iowa and radically more likely to sympathize with Iowa fans when they are angry about something, compared to ISU fans who always need to "get over it" if they're wronged.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Band gate and doing zero coverage basically of the racial stuff is when I realized how unserious any of KXNO was about covering Iowa/ISU objectively.
Eastern Iowa radio did a great job on racial story. Murphy dropped the ball on that one.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Garza getting more run post college than Haliburton and even 4 year starter all time Cyclone great Purdy is one of those massive "tells". I mean you're talking about GLeague/bench warmer vs starting superbowl QB and All Star starter, then on top of it the superbowl is just more popular than any NBA in Iowa. Monte getting far more bench minutes on the same team the past few months might have forced them to calm down the Garza coverage a bit.

A few weeks ago they got the Pacers GM on there in the middle of their deepest playoff run in a quarter century and Murph tried to talk more about Connor McCaffe than Tyrese.

They try most of the time but in the end there were always more sympathetic to Iowa and radically more likely to sympathize with Iowa fans when they are angry about something, compared to ISU fans who always need to "get over it" if they're wronged.
Garza's dad literally paid them to talk about him.

It's not a sign of a Hawkeye bias, it's about who's paying the bills. If John Haliburton were buying air time, we'd have heard a lot more about Tyrese.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

It's not a sign of a Hawkeye bias, it's about who's paying the bills. If John Haliburton were buying air time, we'd have heard a lot more about Tyrese.
I remember Heather was getting into it with someone on Twitter when they told her to stop acting like Frank was such a good guy. It stopped when the person she was arguing with pulled out the article about him committing fraud, and she still continued to hype him up on air after that.

Reactions: CyNews

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
And if KXNO goes to all National Shows in the near future like so many here predict, you'll all complain about a lack of local coverage on the radio. You guys could've all changed the station but it appears you're all incapable of such a feat.
There hasn’t been local Iowa State coverage on KxNO for years! Nobody here is complaining about local sports radio going National. We are all tired of hearing about Iowa constantly anyway.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

You can tell they don't watch/care for the NBA. The day after Haliburton got hurt in game 2 vs Boston (middle of the 3rd quarter), they commented on his lack of production in the playoffs (10 pts & 8 assists when he went out). Weird take being Haliburton scored double digits in all but two games, including 1 triple double, and almost averaged a double-double in the playoffs. It wasn't until after game 3 they realized he was injured and didn't play.

Reactions: MJ29 and HFCS

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Eh, I've heard him say plenty of backhanded things about ISU. His certainly seem more veiled/smart than what Ross/Travis spout, but he's said plenty of backhanded things. And he seems pretty homerish on nearly all things hawkeye.
It's definitely more noticeable during football season. He must not be as into basketball (like every Hawkeye fan), so he can be more objective during basketball season.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Eh, I've heard him say plenty of backhanded things about ISU. His certainly seem more veiled/smart than what Ross/Travis spout, but he's said plenty of backhanded things. And he seems pretty homerish on nearly all things hawkeye.
True, and I think that is him playing his Hawk part, but he is complimentary to ISU often especially MBB.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You can tell they don't watch/care for the NBA. The day after Haliburton got hurt in game 2 vs Boston (middle of the 3rd quarter), they commented on his lack of production in the playoffs (10 pts & 8 assists when he went out). Weird take being Haliburton scored double digits in all but two games, including 1 triple double, and almost averaged a double-double in the playoffs. It wasn't until after game 3 they realized he was injured and didn't play.

One of the Fever preseason games even had to be rescheduled specifically because of Tyrese's heroics beating the Knicks while playing injured and it was clearly a bigger story that their girl's preseason schedule changed than that a Cyclone all star was hitting game winners and scoring 30+ at MSG getting his franchise to the ECF for the first time in 20+ years.

I still laugh at how my local news in LA (same state but not even in SF) covered Brock's run to the superbowl more than local Iowa media did. I could turn on random local radio here and they'd be talking Brock Purdy while M&A couldn't bother to take a Clark break. Then Cyclone fans on this board would try to convince me it actually was bigger than the Superbowl.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

How did it work, was it paying for specific segments, ads or just in general to slobber over him?

When the TWolves announced a preseason game in DesMoines that became all about Garza even though Monte was already getting more playing time having just been traded there. I don't think they even knew Monte was on the team. He's the all time leader in all sorts of ISU and even Big 12 career stats. I get how Clark is "local" growing up in DM but they'd always act like Garza is local and Purdy/Monte etc are not.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
How did it work, was it paying for specific segments, ads or just in general to slobber over him?

When the TWolves announced a preseason game in DesMoines that became all about Garza even though Monte was already getting more playing time having just been traded there. I don't think they even knew Monte was on the team. He's the all time leader in all sorts of ISU and even Big 12 career stats. I get how Clark is "local" growing up in DM but they'd always act like Garza is local and Purdy/Monte etc are not.

They were buying air time to promote Luka's money grabbing basketball camps.

Reactions: Acylum and CapnCy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

He (Frank) was paying for segments to come on the show and talk about what was going on. I think that just generally endeared them to him (Luka) over time, which lead to more discussion of him down the road.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He (Frank) was paying for segments to come on the show and talk about what was going on. I think that just generally endeared them to him (Luka) over time, which lead to more discussion of him down the road.

I'd listen for a while then leave for years, Frank's talks must have been period I had them blacked out. Hard to imagine a bigger reason to turn off the radio.

I'll be honest, the hyperbole of the CC thing drew me back in to M&A the past four months or so. I couldn't believe what i was hearing on this board and I could tell some of our fans were getting kind of hypnotized by it beyond just admiring what she did, stuff like claiming it was bigger than the Superbowl etc...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
With NIL now I don't know why they don't seek some sponsorships to have some of these athletes do a weekly segment with them or even some on site promo events to fill some air time. How interesting would it be to have someone like Rocco or Audi have a weekly sponsored segment where they are in studio or call in and do a 15-30 minute segment talking about anything relevant going on in their sport otlr life at that time. Or even have an on location event where they not only talk with the athletes but gives fans and listeners a chance to come out and see them too. Could do this for any school or sport really if you find sponsors willing to pay for it.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
With NIL now I don't know why they don't seek some sponsorships to have some of these athletes do a weekly segment with them or even some on site promo events to fill some air time. How interesting would it be to have someone like Rocco or Audi have a weekly sponsored segment where they are in studio or call in and do a 15-30 minute segment talking about anything relevant going on in their sport otlr life at that time. Or even have an on location event where they not only talk with the athletes but gives fans and listeners a chance to come out and see them too. Could do this for any school or sport really if you find sponsors willing to pay for it.

I’d be shocked if the coaches would allow that to happen. Can the coaches stop them? Technically no, but I’d guess they would be encouraged not to do that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron