KU signs Bill Self to a lifetime contract

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
For the most part, schools don't pay recruits. The shoe companies do. Nike more than Adidas.

Semantics. Typical KU, trying to justify cheating via loopholes.

Is this better?

KU fans: Neither KU, its representatives, agents, nor boosters, pay recruits!
FBI: We found evidence during our investigation that recruits were paid at KU's behest and for KU's benefit.
KU fans: .......EVERY team pays recruits either directly or through an agent, representative, or booster!

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
For the most part, schools don't pay recruits. The shoe companies do. Nike more than Adidas.

Boohoo, we extended our contract with the shoe company that doesn't pay recruits as well as the competition. Poor KU.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Ok, you are right. I don’t know you. But if you are anything like the persona you portray on this message board, then you are just as sleazy as Self.
I am of the belief that some of the ncaa's rules regarding amateurism are pretty archaic and dumb and are only in place so that rich old men can continue to get wealthy off of the talents of young athletes. I have no problem with some of the specifics as to how these athletes receive compensation for their talents and wish that the rules would be changed so that the athletes could be compensated for their talents better, allowing them to more freely compete in college basketball, a sport that I love. If that makes me "sleazy" then so be it.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Semantics. Typical KU, trying to justify cheating via loopholes.

Is this better?

KU fans: Neither KU, its representatives, agents, nor boosters, pay recruits!
FBI: We found evidence during our investigation that recruits were paid at KU's behest and for KU's benefit.
KU fans: .......EVERY team pays recruits either directly or through an agent, representative, or booster!
Not quite. Try this:

KU fans: I think the ncaa rules are dumb and that players should be able to get some money if a shoe company offers them money. Some of those players might even choose to go to Kansas as part of the agreement, which is a bonus but others who may have otherwise chosen to attend Kansas may choose to go somewhere else as part of the agreement, which is a bummer.
FBI: We found some cases where some assistant coaches were getting money as kickbacks for pushing players to financial advisors.
KU fans: That's just another case of adults profiting off of the talents of players while the players are the ones who get punished. I am not cool with that.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Not quite. Try this:

KU fans: I think the ncaa rules are dumb and that players should be able to get some money if a shoe company offers them money. Some of those players might even choose to go to Kansas as part of the agreement, which is a bonus but others who may have otherwise chosen to attend Kansas may choose to go somewhere else as part of the agreement, which is a bummer.
FBI: We found some cases where some assistant coaches were getting money as kickbacks for pushing players to financial advisors.
KU fans: That's just another case of adults profiting off of the talents of players while the players are the ones who get punished. I am not cool with that.

tenor.gif

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
Not quite. Try this:

You may believe this BS, but bottom line, the rules are there and KU isn't some trailblazer in the NIL discussion by coordinating payments to recruits. And while this little story of yours may make you think that KU doesn't cheat, the overall impression outside of the KU bubble is that KU hasn't accomplished anything without cheating to do it.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
You may believe this BS, but bottom line, the rules are there and KU isn't some trailblazer in the NIL discussion by coordinating payments to recruits. And while this little story of yours may make you think that KU doesn't cheat, the overall impression outside of the KU bubble is that KU hasn't accomplished anything without cheating to do it.

Yup, goes all the way back to Wilt. Self is just continuing the tradition.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Which part is BS?

Should players be able to profit off of their abilities and be paid by a shoe company if one offers them money? Sure, why not? I can accept the money if a shoe company chose (poorly) to pay me.
Do I think the ncaa rules that make this a violation need to be changed? Yes, I doubt I am alone there.
Has KU benefited by landing some guys who were paid by Adidas? Yes
Has KU been harmed by not landing some guys who were paid by Nike? Yes
Does it stink that some financial advisors and assistant coaches conspired to steer players to those advisors while the coaches made money? Yes.

So which part is BS?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It doesn't make me think that KU hasn't cheated. They have been found guilty of some violations over time and have paid the consequences in various forms. I just don't find this particular situation to be one that bothers me at all or that should be against the rules in the first place. I have no problem with players getting money from a shoe company, a cookie company, a car company, etc... If some company feels that it is a good investment of their money to give it to a high school basketball player on the hopes that this player will develop into an NBA star some day then that's their choice. Capitalism at its finest.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Which part is BS?

Should players be able to profit off of their abilities and be paid by a shoe company if one offers them money? Sure, why not? I can accept the money if a shoe company chose (poorly) to pay me..........

Has KU benefited by landing some guys who were paid by Adidas? Yes

If that shoe company does decide to waste money on you, make sure you get get a 1099 and pay the taxes, just like your KU players did.

Then you can really call it 'benefiting' vs. cheating.

Reactions: Ozclone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
To me, this is not about Adidas or their Ku relationship. It's about Ku ethics. The fact that academics and boosters at that school somehow can justify doing this deal in spite of the evidence is appalling. The university and its supporters are seemingly soulless.

The school is facing five Level I allegations—the most severe the NCAA can hand down—related to men’s basketball. Among them are a lack of institutional control charge and a lack of head coach control charge that is aimed directly at Self. The NCAA also has a long list of aggravating factors in the case and a short list of mitigating factors, which means the potential penalties could skew to the high end of the NCAA penalty matrix.

Interim athletic director Kurt Watson ... has been the stopgap AD because Kansas fired the last AD, Jeff Long, after the Les Miles creepiness seeped out of LSU and led to his resignation in Lawrence. So the school has an interim AD, an interim football coach, a huge NCAA infractions case … but a basketball coach for life, baby.
Sports Illustrated

Reactions: Neptune78

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Interim AD hires Self, interim AD gives him a lifetime contract...:rolleyes:

I thought KU losing their AD was going to leave Self exposed for his violations. Nope.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
If that shoe company does decide to waste money on you, make sure you get get a 1099 and pay the taxes, just like your KU players did.

Then you can really call it 'benefiting' vs. cheating.
See, there's another added bonus of making it allowable. It can be done properly and taxes can be paid on it.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not quite. Try this:

Hahaha this is comedy gold. You blue chicken fans are awesome.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I am of the belief that some of the ncaa's rules regarding amateurism are pretty archaic and dumb and are only in place so that rich old men can continue to get wealthy off of the talents of young athletes. I have no problem with some of the specifics as to how these athletes receive compensation for their talents and wish that the rules would be changed so that the athletes could be compensated for their talents better, allowing them to more freely compete in college basketball, a sport that I love. If that makes me "sleazy" then so be it.

I have to admire your ability to continue digging and digging a hole deeper and deeper.