KU reportedly hiring Buffalo's Leipold (not Monken)

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
At this point, how much downside really goes with taking the ku job? I mean, if you win, wow! You're a genius! If you lose it's not really much of a reflection on you because no one wins there and you're getting a pile of cash to go with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Nah; some folks in the state of Iowa just work really hard to find validation of their assumptions about KU basketball fans and NU football fans. It's Ok that you don't see it.

I lived in Lawrence for 15 years and I can say, without a doubt, that folks in the state of Iowa assumptions are more than spot on. If anything, they don't fully understand what entitled brats they are because they only play them twice a year.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Leipold's Overall Record @ Buffalo:
37-33 and 25-20 in the MAC
2 MAC East Titles
0 MAC Titles
3 Bowl games (2-1)
4-1 against FCS teams
15-23 against FBS teams with winning (.500 or above) records (includes 0-4 versus teams that finished ranked)
18-9 against FBS teams with losing records (includes 3 wins over winless teams)

credit: aj
I’m really not expecting Leipold to do anything more than build a solid foundation for his successor. Hopefully (for KU’s sake) a condition of him accepting the job was a commitment from KU’s administration for some major facility upgrades.

To be fair, I was expecting the same thing when they hired the lecher. At least he was working on a solid foundation of athletic young players.

BTW, while I’ve liked having the automatic W, I don’t think our football program is in a position to need one any longer—and I’d prefer the Big XII not have such a perpetual embarrassment in football.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Nah; some folks in the state of Iowa just work really hard to find validation of their assumptions about KU basketball fans and NU football fans. It's Ok that you don't see it.
Because it's a mirage.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Yep, it's all a big conspiracy and not at all based on experiences we've had with these fans for... let me see... our entire lives. We have even more "opinions" about a majority of hawkeye fans being preening dbags. But not because we've lived and worked with them for so long. It's all because we got together and decided how we imagined these fan bases would act like.

Nope, no personal experience here.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Overall, I'd say this was a solid hire for Ku. They got a qualified head coach rather than settling for an assistant. I'm not sure why he took the worst P5 job in the land other than confidence and retirement planning. But he has and credit is due Ku's new athletic director. We'll see how Liepold does in Lawrence.

Why wouldn't a .500 MAC coach jump at the first P5 opportunity he has at age 56?

He's not getting anymore P5 offers at this stage of his life.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
  • Winner
Reactions: Aclone and Cycsk

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
We will see how it goes. Pretty hard not to consider KU a coaching graveyard. They have been through 5 coaches in the last 10 years. The results have been amazingly similar. Seems like a decent hire. Better than Miles or Gill or Weis. I wonder how many guys they are still paying off? Beaty was the guy they should have give a couple more years IMHO.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Here's the answer to the question "Why would anyone ever want to coach at KU?"

It's easier to take the risk if the fall from glory is cushioned with $11.55 million of cash.

Yeah, sometimes I think these guys mail it in when it is going bad, knowing that the big payout will come soon and they can go be an assistant somewhere for decent money.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

It's easier to take the risk if the fall from glory is cushioned with $11.55 million of cash.
He would be pushing retirement age also if he survives the contract. Probably a nice retirement payment just from those years also if it’s anything like Iowa’s.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

And he lost a lot of talent from his Buffalo team.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ku has a $300 million Memorial Stadium item before the regents. But it's based on a lot of private funding that's yet to materialize. Memorial is the only stadium in the B12 that hasn't undergone major renovations the past decade.

• Informative
Reactions: STLISU and Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron