KU reportedly hiring Buffalo's Leipold (not Monken)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Nah; some folks in the state of Iowa just work really hard to find validation of their assumptions about KU basketball fans and NU football fans. It's Ok that you don't see it.
Allow me to break it down for you.

It was a joke based on the stereotype of Nebraska football fans—who root for KU basketball. And vice versa. Especially referring to the average folk in western Iowa.

I have a friend in Lincoln who is an Iowa alum...and has season tickets to Husker football. And her husband is a KU alum, so they follow Jayhawk hoops. And they follow ISU...fourth.

So yes, stereotypes—but with a grain of truth. That’s why it makes a good joke.

That you don’t get that is okay, you’re not from Iowa.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Didn't sound like a roll of the dice when you forecasted KUs future a couple years ago.
You sounded pretty damn sure of what was going to happen.
We're fans on a message board. To treat any comments here as anything more than that is silly.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Allow me to break it down for you.

It was a joke based on the stereotype of Nebraska football fans—who root for KU basketball. And vice versa. Especially referring to the average folk in western Iowa.

I have a friend in Lincoln who is an Iowa alum...and has season tickets to Husker football. And her husband is a KU alum, so they follow Jayhawk hoops. And they follow ISU...fourth.

So yes, stereotypes—but with a grain of truth. That’s why it makes a good joke.

That you don’t get that is okay, you’re not from Iowa.
So different people from different areas of the Midwest cheer for different teams, stay around the Midwest and occasionally marry other fans of other sports and other teams. Got it. I guess you do have to be from Iowa to find that a funny joke.

In all seriousness, there are a ton of KU alumni here in Nebraska. Los of people from this area either went to KU or send their kids to KU. My daughter is a HS senior this year and Kansas is easily 2nd place to NU in where her fellow classmates will be attending college. I know a half dozen parents of her friends who went to KU. The whole Nebraska/Iowa state rivalry doesn't really come into play so it seems I frequently seen NU and KU families mixed together.

Last edited:

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Which begs the question—WHY are you on here?
To talk about my thoughts and opinions about sports and current events with other sports fans. Isn't that why most of us are here?

Last edited:

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Hiring coaches is a roll of the dice. You hope you find a good fit, pray you hit a grand slam and deal with however it plays out.
Some would say when you hire Les Miles it’s a foolish roll of the dice with awesome downside risk and limited upside

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I married a woman who grew up in Omaha and we now live in Omaha. What does that have to do with anything?

Man, you guys sure seem to have a lot of precon eived notions about exactly what fans are and are not allowed to do. It must be exhausting to carry all that baggage.
And YOU, sir, have zero ability to laugh at yourself and your posturing.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
So different people from different areas of the Midwest cheer for different teams, stay around the Midwest and occasionally marry other fans of other sports and other teams. Got it. I guess you do have to be from Iowa to find that a funny joke.

In all seriousness, there are a ton of KU alumni here in Nebraska. Los of people from this area either went to KU or send their kids to KU. My daughter is a HS senior this year and Kansas is easily 2nd place to NU in where her fellow classmates will be attending college. I know a half dozen parents of her friends who went to KU. The whole Nebraska/Iowa state rivalry doesn't really come into play so it seems I frequently seen NU and KU families mixed together.
You just can't help yourself, can you?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Kansas and Kansas State both hired basketball coaches that were previously at Illinois. Are they performing the same?

The "Turner Gill didn't work out so this won't either" shtick is lame.

LMAO one coach was throwing out bags of cash while the other was throwing a ringer...

Reactions: JP4CY

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Didn't read through all the 11 pages so sorry if this is a repeat but last time they hired the Buffalo coach (Turner Gill) it was considered a good hire at the time and 2 seasons later and a 5-19 record (gee that sounds familiar...) and 1 conference win he was fired. Just a hunch but I'm not too concerned about KU all the sudden becoming a powerhouse FB program to contend with in the Big 12 anytime soon. They continue to chew through coaches with losing results and scandals so the bar is pretty low for what their fans would call success at this point.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
And YOU, sir, have zero ability to laugh at yourself and your posturing.
I laugh at myself all the time. Not sure what "posturing" I do here. I just share my opinions on various topics and respond to various posts that are in response to my posts. I think you give me far too much credit for the level of effort I put towards posting here and believe I have some sort of concern as to what opinions others may have of me. I assume, that isn't a concern of mine at all.

The weekend is officially here. I hop you all enjoy the beautiful weather. Looks like it will be a nice one!

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Pivot pivot pivot gif
We aren't getting graded or fined based on our accuracy rate here, are we? No? Then it is of no concern to me. I was hopeful that Miles would work out and he definitely dug us out of the scholarship nightmare we were in but he didn't have the results I was hoping for. So it goes. Hopefully the new coach will do better.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We aren't getting graded or fined based on our accuracy rate here, are we? No? Then it is of no concern to me. I was hopeful that Miles would work out and he definitely dug us out of the scholarship nightmare we were in but he didn't have the results I was hoping for. So it goes. Hopefully the new coach will do better.
You won’t know. You don’t watch college football.

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: Aclone and JP4CY

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I laugh at myself all the time. Not sure what "posturing" I do here. I just share my opinions on various topics and respond to various posts that are in response to my posts. I think you give me far too much credit for the level of effort I put towards posting here and believe I have some sort of concern as to what opinions others may have of me. I assume, that isn't a concern of mine at all.

The weekend is officially here. I hop you all enjoy the beautiful weather. Looks like it will be a nice one!
You just can't help yourself, can you?

Reactions: JP4CY

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Leipold's Overall Record @ Buffalo:
37-33 and 25-20 in the MAC
2 MAC East Titles
0 MAC Titles
3 Bowl games (2-1)
4-1 against FCS teams
15-23 against FBS teams with winning (.500 or above) records (includes 0-4 versus teams that finished ranked)
18-9 against FBS teams with losing records (includes 3 wins over winless teams)

credit: aj

• Informative
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Eh, OK. That's a you issue, not a me issue.

College football is boring to me. Five seconds of action followed by a multi minute break between nearly every play. I am too hyperactive to sit there waiting for something interesting. The game action/total time ratio of basketball is what I love about the sport the most.

But it would be fun to see Kansas get better and be a bowl caliber team again. More athletic department funds can only help the sport I like to watch.
I was trying to figure out how Big 12 football would be too slow for you but NFL being just fine since you go watch Chiefs football. The Big 12 has been the fastest average time between snaps of any of the P5 conferences - generally around 19.5-28 seconds for the most current data (2016) I can find. I only found info on 2013 for the NFL and it is between 23 and 31 seconds.

So the college football we are talking about here is faster than NFL football.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
As a comparison to the "optimism" in that special 2019 season in Lawrence, in year 8 of the Walden era, (his final season) one where we went 0-10-1, we STILL averaged over 35k per game...at a time when the facilities were FCS quality.

I attended each and every one of those home games in 1994. We had a bad rash of foul weather Saturdays that year to boot! I watched ISU lose to UNI, lose to Western Michigan and lose to Rice along with the conference losses.

To be fair, in the off weeks that season, I went to games @ Iowa X 2, @ Auburn, @ Alabama, @ Nebraska, @ Drake and @ Oklahoma to break the monotony of Iowa State's awful home season.

What a year!

Last edited: