KU reportedly hiring Buffalo's Leipold (not Monken)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They can do whatever they want. My point in that particular message was good teams can play below potential and I think people read into it too much, like last year when we lost our first game but then won the conference.

I'm all for KU doing something different. We did.

What are you talking about. We went out and got one of the best coaches in the level below us. That’s not different.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If he is the guy, I think it's potentially a good hire. Not for the triple option, whether they run it or not. KU stinks on toast. They need someone to bring some pride and discipline and effort. An Army guy is going to expect that as a given. So as far as instilling an effort culture, a never-say-die culture, Monken might be a good hire.

Kansas NEEDS to give him 5 full years. Anything less is just self-harm. That said, I would bet a nickel they fire him before that.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If he is the guy, I think it's potentially a good hire. Not for the triple option, whether they run it or not. KU stinks on toast. They need someone to bring some pride and discipline and effort. An Army guy is going to expect that as a given. So as far as instilling an effort culture, a never-say-die culture, Monken might be a good hire.

Kansas NEEDS to give him 5 full years. Anything less is just self-harm. That said, I would bet a nickel they fire him before that.
This, they need a culture changer and he definitely seems to be that.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
What are you talking about. We went out and got one of the best coaches in the level below us. That’s not different.
Our offensive and defensive schemes are major changes from status quo, a la bringing the triple option would be for KU. Not sure what your point is?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Really the whole AD needs a culture change because having your BB coach and team running the AD = Football will struggle.
Yeah Bball is always going to be number one at KU. I don't think there is much that could change that but they can at least try to make it 1b.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Dude is one of the best in the business at running it well. If ku gives him 5 years and he gets his owns recruits, he stands a reasonable chance at being competitive. It's hard to defend because it is co.completely different than anything you defend against week in and week out. You have to start from scratch for that week of prep co.pared to any other team on the schedule.
Yes he is. And with that comes needing the right personnel. Back to my post, he won't be running it well enough for KU to be much of a concern next year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If the triple option would work in the B12, OU and Texas would still be running it. He won't implement that system in Lawrence. But if he does, he'll fail.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Seen Kansas is a known and unpunished cheat in basketball, the least the football gods can do is to have them wander in a winless wilderness for at LEAST another decade. The NCAA and the basketball gods have failed us, it up to the football gods.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It seems they pulled the plug too fast on Gill. You have to give a guy there like 5 years, whatever I hope they keep flopping

Yeah, Gill's two years were bad, but that's too short to pull the plug on a coach.

I think they were a little impatient with Beaty; idk if he was the long term solution, but he seemed to be willing to grind and at least try to get them competitive again.

Weis is far and away the worst hire. Didn't give a **** about them.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, Gill's two years were bad, but that's too short to pull the plug on a coach.

I think they were a little impatient with Beaty; idk if he was the long term solution, but he seemed to be willing to grind and at least try to get them competitive again.

The only silver lining from the Weis era was that KU was able to extend their apparel contract with Lawrence Tarp and Awning that was left over from the Mangino era.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

KU's roster was decimated after going from Mangino to Gill to Weiss in three years, and then Weiss somehow made it ever worse in his 2+ seasons. Beatty was paid far less than his Big XII contemporaries, and I'm fairly convinced he was just a budget placeholder while they waited for the roster to get back up to full strength. Getting kicked aside after 4 years when Les became available kind of backs that up.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL

The Beaty situation was such a joke. Jeff Long just got hired as AD and wanted to hire his guys from the boys club. In order to avoid a $3M buyout, he came up with some trumped up recruiting violations against Beaty. He then turns around and hires Les while appearing to either no do a background check, or just ignore the findings of the background check.

Beaty came into a bad situation at Kansas after the Charlie Weis disaster and should not have been expected to be competitive, but he was at least refilling the scholarships.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron