Ku case to be heard by independent panel ...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's heartwarming to see how people actually still believe that fair play isn't just an illusion and that justice is blind and the cheating blueblood will get punished. On the other hand it's sad and laughable. Kansas will get some very minor nothing burger of a sanction just to "prove" that the new system isn't the sham that it likely is.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The only thing KU lawyers have is the 'victim' card. We'll see if the panel wipes off the the slime and buys this incredible argument.

• Winner
Reactions: Neptune78

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Independent Resolution Panel
The Independent Resolution Panel reviews the allegations issued by the Complex Case Unit and the school’s response to those allegations. It then conducts a hearing, decides whether violations occurred and prescribes penalties. The panel consists of 15 members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds. Once a case is referred to the IARP, a hearing panel consisting of five Independent Resolution Panel members is generated.

Decisions issued by the Independent Resolution Panel are final and are not subject to appeal or further review.

Members: 15 members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds who are not affiliated with NCAA member schools or conferences. Each case will be handled by a panel of five of the 15 members. • Reviews allegations from the Complex Case Unit and the school’s response to those allegations. • Oversees the case hearing and decides penalties. • If appropriate, expands upon allegations presented by the Complex Case Unit.

I believe the new rules allow for the case to be appealed to an independent panel or to the NCAA. Okie St went the NCAA route and got slammed, which is sort of obvious because the NCAA in't likely to to rule against it's self.
The other schools involved will try the independent panel and hope for a better outcome.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Five will be selected from this list. Most are lawyers. Many in the arbitration profession. Having been in arbitration more than once, this doesn't make me confident that Ku will get what's due them.

Jodi Balsam Brooklyn Law School
David Benck American Arbitration Association
Jeffrey Benz JAMS, Inc.
Mary Braza Foley & Lardner LLP
Bernetta Bush JAMS, Inc.
Joan Cronan University of Tennessee, Knoxville (Retired)
Javier Flores Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
Hugh Fraser JAMS, Inc.
Patricia Timmons Goodson Justice, Supreme Court of North Carolina (Retired)
Corey Jackson University of California San Francisco
Bruce Meyerson Bruce Meyerson PLLC
Tracy Porter Premiere Solutions
Michelle Pujals Tautemo Consulting LLC
Christina Guerola Sarchio Dechert LLP
Dana Welch Welch ADR

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hope whatever panel they come up with they do a thorough background check to make sure none have KU ties whatsoever and I would even go as far as say no ties to a blue blood school if they want a fair panel. The less allegiance or ties to big money sports the better, needs to be a binary level type of look at this with all bias thrown out the window. Did they or did they not commit violations that are subject to sanctions and punishment. No if and or butts about what happened because you know KU will try to muddy this process up with as much irrelevant stuff as possible to try and get out of this mess.

And yes I don't have much faith in this process because we have enough examples already of big programs getting off the hook with nothing more than a slap on the wrist for some major violations that just about any other non blue blood school would get hammered for.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
"5 members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds who are not affiliated with NCAA member schools or conferences"
~~~~~~~~

Reactions: BoxsterCy

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Five will be selected from this list. Most are lawyers. Many in the arbitration profession. Having been in arbitration more than once, this doesn't make me confident that Ku will get what's due them.

Jodi Balsam Brooklyn Law School
David Benck American Arbitration Association
Jeffrey Benz JAMS, Inc.
Mary Braza Foley & Lardner LLP
Bernetta Bush JAMS, Inc.
Joan Cronan University of Tennessee, Knoxville (Retired)
Javier Flores Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
Hugh Fraser JAMS, Inc.
Patricia Timmons Goodson Justice, Supreme Court of North Carolina (Retired)
Corey Jackson University of California San Francisco
Bruce Meyerson Bruce Meyerson PLLC
Tracy Porter Premiere Solutions
Michelle Pujals Tautemo Consulting LLC
Christina Guerola Sarchio Dechert LLP
Dana Welch Welch ADR
Holy moly, I know Jeff Benz. That's funny. I had no idea he was on this panel. He is a fantastic lawyer and has worked in sports arbitration law for years. His sister Julie Benz is an actress.

Ha, small world.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Shocked, I tell you that Frank Martin and S. Carolina are dirty . . . .

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Shocked, I tell you that Frank Martin and S. Carolina are dirty . . . .

Actually, Frank Martin had nothing to do with it. I think the punishment was way too harsh as well. I think if they would have fought it instead of cooperated they could have gotten a lesser punishment.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Martin left K-State over purported cheating. He took his assistants with him to USC,e. The program is put on probation. Follow the dots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron