KState players speaking out and might boycott?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Kansas State already made the decision to take that student. This isn't a private business, its a publicly funded institute of higher learning. For them to come out to punish a student for what some people view as a "free speech issue" has put them into a tough spot. One that will likely have legal ramifications depending on their decision.

I had thought that it was a player on the team. But it's just one of the 20,000+ students in school... Ok.. yeah cancel culture and the 1st amendment/Constitution are bound for a head-on collision and it won't be pretty.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
If the student has posted or said things that are clearly racist, that would be grounds for dismissal. This joke wasn't that. This is a power play by the athletes to suppress other's free speech.

Do some research on McNeil. The joke doesn't exist if George Floyd is not a black man. It was 100% a racist joke.

In my opinion hate speech is free speech in the sense that nothing McNeil were to say, however hateful could land him in jail. But obviously all speech has consequences.

I don't know what KSU should do, they're in a tough spot. But if the administration is being honest then they have to acknowledge that if some football players want to boycott that is their right, also...whatever consequences come of it.

I think if I were the KSU president I'd make a statement condemning McNeil's statements and associations and make it clear that they're antithetical to KSU's mission. Basically I'd say (without saying it) that "we have to let this douchebag go to school here but he doesn't belong here."

Now, if I were the football program I'd put this kid on blast. I'd make it my mission to make sure every season ticket holder know exactly why any players might be boycotting. And the answer would be simple - Jordan McNeil. If the KSU football program is smart they'll embrace the players who boycott and direct all their energy to making KSU a place where Jordan McNeil doesn't want to attend school.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I had thought that it was a player on the team. But it's just one of the 20,000+ students in school... Ok.. yeah cancel culture and the 1st amendment/Constitution are bound for a head-on collision and it won't be pretty.

Argent cucking out. Look at the power play these football players are pulling and bask in its glory. ALPHAS

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Argent cucking out. Look at the power play these football players are pulling and bask in its glory. ALPHAS

The answer to hateful Free Speech has always been More Speech. Not picking up and taking your ball home. This guy was a nobody that few even knew and now he is getting every bit of attention he wanted.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kansas State already made the decision to take that student. This isn't a private business, its a publicly funded institute of higher learning. For them to come out to punish a student for what some people view as a "free speech issue" has put them into a tough spot. One that will likely have legal ramifications depending on their decision.

He can only speak if he's a ksu student?

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
If they believe they cannot in good conscience play for a university that allows students freedom of speech, then they shouldn't play. I think they're grandstanding and would fold very quickly if the university took an unequivocal stand in favor of free speech. A commitment to free and open debate has been a foundational principle of the modern university for centuries.
The players are expressing their own "freedom of speech" - against the racism and bigotry of a fellow student. Nothing wrong with that. The racist student wants white supremacy and is cloaking his racism in "freedom of speech." And now he is whining (as you are too).

In fact, you are condoning the students bigotry. Now we know what you REALLY are, mr realist.

Last edited:

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree the totality of his associations and activities could justify removal. The initial reporting focused on the joke. A free speech argument could be made but I don't think most people would be too offended if this white nationalist was disinvited.

You could frame it from the perspective that KSU (or most state universities) do not showcase white supremacist student activist groups to prospective new students including student athletes on recruiting visits.

No football player went on a campus visit and got the grand tour including the meeting places for white supremacy groups. In fact if they were given a student handbook they would likely have gotten the impression that such a thing is not allowed.

Now if Matt Campbell is taking all of our students to white supremacist meetings and telling them this is a part of Iowa State Univerisity...the contrarians (let's give them benefit of the doubt they aren't actual racists) on this board may actually not be completely stupid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron