Kory Kodanko Progress?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Not questioning coaching staff but has anyone close to the program heard anything about Kodanko? I thought he might at least see some playing time.I believe he has already red shirted.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I mean, if our OL is as bad as it is and those guys haven't played yet, I think you may have your answer.

Yep, if you've been in the program 3 years, and you can't make the two-deep this season... that's a bad sign.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
No way our record wont suck until we get a decent line. Defenses pack the box & dare us to run/throw deep. We cant do either. Busch light, where are you?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is probably my biggest gripe over the years with Iowa State football. I get we are at a geographic disadvantage when it comes to finding speed and some of the skill positions. But there would appear to be no shortage of big dudes you can find to develop into linemen around here. Iowa does it. It seems like every damn person who stays there 4-5 years turns into an NFL lineman. Other programs around the Midwest seem to do it. K-State, Wisconsin, Minnesota-- those schools always seem to have a really good line.

I just don't get our inability to develop linemen over time.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This is probably my biggest gripe over the years with Iowa State football. I get we are at a geographic disadvantage when it comes to finding speed and some of the skill positions. But there would appear to be no shortage of big dudes you can find to develop into linemen around here. Iowa does it. It seems like every damn person who stays there 4-5 years turns into an NFL lineman. Other programs around the Midwest seem to do it. K-State, Wisconsin, Minnesota-- those schools always seem to have a really good line.

I just don't get our inability to develop linemen over time.

This is where Tom Manning and Eli Rasheed need to earn their paycheck. OL and DL build off each other because they practice against each other. We need to get the talent on campus and then have the coaches develop the fundamentals. In past years, we have done a terrible job of evaluating OL talent and have under recruited on the DL. If one side of the ball is weak, it is hard for the other side to develop.

My guess is some of the sophomore/junior scholarship players who are not in the two deeps won't be on the team next fall. I believe we only have 18-20 graduating players and we are recruiting to have a class of 25+.

My bigger question is where are the JUCO OL prospects that Campbell brought in? Does he think they can have an impact mid-season, will they redshirt, etc?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Toledo replaced 5 starters on the o-line last year an gave up 5 sacks. need to get guys in the system for a few years with some consistency in coaching and we'll be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk and SpokaneCY

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Sadly he hasn't cracked the two-deep. And the other DE we once had committed that season (Anthony Nelson) is playing well for Iowa already.

The Anthony Nelson one is so irritating he is a very good player and maybe will end up a great one. But yet the guy we got can't crack the 2 deep of this D-Line.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Nerness seems a little on the child-like side mentally. Gotta be a man to go against 300 pounders. I could be all wet but it's just a possible answer to the question. Rhoads was talking him up pretty big before he left, but we know his track record with evaluating talent at this point...

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
The early departure of Burton and the subsequent injury to Jake are two losses we will not be able to overcome.

Sad but true.

It does create opportunities for others to step up, let's see who decides to take advantage...

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Toledo replaced 5 starters on the o-line last year an gave up 5 sacks. need to get guys in the system for a few years with some consistency in coaching and we'll be fine.
I think maybe Manning should have been hired as just the OL coach so he could put all his focus on that area, but I doubt CMC knew how bad our line was when he was putting a staff together. Plus, Campos wasn't hurt at the time and we still had Burton.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Our o-line hasn't been good, but I don't think it has been as bad as people are talking. They have actually pass blocked pretty well.

We need to give them some more time before we right them off as a lost cause. Last year after the second game the exact same talk was happening and people were saying we should just all out abandon the run game. They started to get it together and actually became a pretty solid unit for us.

Cyclion

Sep 12, 2016
Kodanko.....Windjammer .....Curtis....where are any of these guys?
Good question...This staff & last even more so have pllenty on online ...they simply don't develop them.. They currently have 20+ on online... But they both do...same old same old... Why did Burton leave? And Brick Dagel even try for NFL?? Injured & burned out!! Yeah... They got to play & play & play... The others I've seen asked
about??? Curtis? Seda? Larson? Sitting on bench waiting for chance... Kodanko? Green? O? Another 10 more including Foster (whose redshirt should not be burned ? Burnt...& 10 more? Severs? Gave up last year...Glenn? Homa? Given medical red shirts coz they have too many !! PLEASE!! GO WITH WHAT YOU GOT!!! Wow.. This is sooo hard to correct! Sorry for typos!

• Dislike
Reactions: isutrevman

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think maybe Manning should have been hired as just the OL coach so he could put all his focus on that area, but I doubt CMC knew how bad our line was when he was putting a staff together. Plus, Campos wasn't hurt at the time and we still had Burton.

Manning wasn't the first option, he was the backup plan.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: The_Gent and Cycsk