Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I haven’t followed this whole story but I’m assuming Kirk had that old HS mentality where everyone had to be dressed in a suit on game day and whatever else. He never changed with the times and is now getting hammered for it.
ISU does this for every home game so not sure I'd use that as a knock against Ferentz

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Mark Emmert of the DMR with a detail of the legal implications. Reason enough for the silence. Which outcome provides the least downside?

Lose/lose,.... just how much.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ns-tricky-gary-barta-kirk-ferentz/5344148002/

“The really good universities, they are super proactive on this, and every couple of years they do a health check on their culture and see if there are any problems,” Gordon said. “And you’ll never hear about it because they’re constantly turning people over for the right reasons.”

That’s the quote of the article there. Maybe why we aren’t seeing a flood of these nationwide.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Here is how this press conference is going to go today:

Hawkeye Media: Kirk, here is an example of a story levied against you.

Kirk: I don’t remember that happening

Hawkeye Media: Many members of you staff including you and your son were implicated in 20 years of treating players of color to a different standard.

Kirk: Our bad, we are gonna not do that now.

Iowa Media: Kirk, thank you again for doing this press conference. You are truly a great man and a leader in solving racism.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
“The really good universities, they are super proactive on this, and every couple of years they do a health check on their culture and see if there are any problems,” Gordon said. “And you’ll never hear about it because they’re constantly turning people over for the right reasons.”

That’s the quote of the article there. Maybe why we aren’t seeing a flood of these nationwide.

Also because most people aren’t racists.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Has Kirk ever fired anyone?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Here is how this press conference is going to go today:

Hawkeye Media: Kirk, here is an example of a story levied against you.

Kirk: I don’t remember that happening

Hawkeye Media: Many members of you staff including you and your son were implicated in 20 years of treating players of color to a different standard.

Kirk: Our bad, we are gonna not do that now.

Iowa Media: Kirk, thank you again for doing this press conference. You are truly a great man and a leader in solving racism.

Hawk fans- THATS MY COACH! G’AWKS!

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
With an athletic department that recently lost $6.5 million in 2 discrimination law suits, I have to think the University is freaking about the potential financial liability and negative exposure brought on by 50+ players claiming discrimination. And all this is occuring when the University is in the midst of an enormous budget crisis (just like ISU) due to COVID.

It's going to be fascinating to watch how they try to wiggle out of this mess. Just from a strategic standpoint, I'd be shocked if some folks high up the food chain aren't fired.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My stance is based on the fact that there have been very few, perhaps no, calls for Kirk to be fired by anyone with credibility.
That's actually not true, but I'll agree with you that his job is less up in the air as others on the staff are. However with that being said, this entire situation is multi-faceted and could get very very interesting when punishments start getting handed down. We know Kirk wants Brian to be the head coach when he's gone, so what happens if Brian is fired? Does Kirk stay? Doyle has already came out and denied any wrong doing on his part, so if he's terminated and decides to sue the school (which would happen), is he going to take Kirk and Brian down with him?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Someone called out the local media for the coverage on this subject during the penalty box on the morning rush. Heather and Travis both agreed that it is odd that bandgate did get way more coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.