Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have absolutely no idea if Kirk has changed for the better or not. But you can't say he's changed because of how he's acted the past 10 months during all of this.
He’s just doing a better job of not getting caught, or trying.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have absolutely no idea if Kirk has changed for the better or not. But you can't say he's changed because of how he's acted the past 10 months during all of this.

I find it awfully difficult to even understand why he should have even been the person to change the culture. He was literally one of the main issues within the program but now he gets to be the solution? Find another employer that would allow this to even happen?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He’s just doing a better job of not getting caught, or trying.
If you're under investigation for something or if you were just under investigation for something, you are going to be tip toeing around for a long long time.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I find it awfully difficult to even understand why he should have even been the person to change the culture. He was literally one of the main issues within the program but now he gets to be the solution? Find another employer that would allow this to even happen?
That's college athletics for ya.. I mean how many situations have we seen like this over the years in which a head coach was given so much power, abused it, and had the help of their administration in helping them cover it up so it wouldn't make the University as a whole look bad? It has happened and will continue to happen as long as you have people in charge like Gary Barta.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Also, I'd very much like to point out that when you're 65 f****** years old, there are certain instances when you just don't get second, or in this case third chances. Yes, when you're a kid, you will be given the benefit of the doubt at times and are allowed to make mistakes because scientifically your brain has not reached full form yet to make sound decisions.

I'm sorry, but it's asinine to me thinking that Kirk is allowed to make the mistakes he did over the past 10 years or so and because he just "didn't know", he comes off scott free in all of this.

I've brought this analogy up before but imagine if a principle of a school wasn't reprimanded after years of allowing his teachers to be verbally abusive towards students because of the color of their skin or their intellectual ability... And there were 70+ allegations that named the principle and teachers?? Yeah, that principle and teachers involved are getting fired or let go 99/100 times.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Also, I'd very much like to point out that when you're 65 f****** years old, there are certain instances when you just don't get second, or in this case third chances. Yes, when you're a kid, you will be given the benefit of the doubt at times and are allowed to make mistakes because scientifically your brain has not reached full form yet to make sound decisions.

I'm sorry, but it's asinine to me thinking that Kirk is allowed to make the mistakes he did over the past 10 years or so and because he just "didn't know", he comes off scott free in all of this.

I've brought this analogy up before but imagine if a principle of a school wasn't reprimanded after years of allowing his teachers to be verbally abusive towards students because of the color of their skin or their intellectual ability... And there were 70+ allegations that named the principle and teachers?? Yeah, that principle and teachers involved are getting fired or let go 99/100 times.
KirK Knew

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It is easy to say you want Campbell fired, but he is of a different era and mindset philosophy. I love it honestly and ISU is better for it. I am not rooted deep into Iowa. I just appreciate them letting someone fix it or at least attempt to see their wrongs and be better. Kirk even asked his current group if he needed to leave and they wanted him to stay. That tells me a lot. It is much deeper than Doyle. FWIW I hope when Kirk is done we get fresh blood. I do not want to see Brian take over.

Campbell wouldn't need to be fired unless it were a huge scandal that implicated him directly. Luckily his program philosophy seems to be much more modern than Kirks.
Is this the first time you've admitted it was much deeper than Doyle? I haven't read all your arguments in the past but that seems to be outside the common hawk fans belief structure.

As for the team not asking Kirk to leave, that's kind of a ridiculous measurement, you know that right? I don't know how that was asked but there are tons of problems with that being a measurement for everything being hunky dory.
First, if it was asked in a big team meeting, do you think ANYONE would raise their hand and say "Yeah **** Kirk, get him out of here!" It's never going to be a majority rules situation unless it's all blatant as hell instead of being more systemic as it appears to have been.
Second, even if they did a blind ballot asking "who wants Kirk gone", it's still a ridiculous measuring stick. Pretty much all of those guys signed on specifically because of Kirk being the head coach. They aren't going to volunteer to start over with a new coach they have no idea who it would be. Even if the reality of the program culture isn't what they originally envisioned, there aren't going to be many who would openly say they want kirk gone. He's still their best shot at making it to the NFL and most aren't going to rock the boat.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I think the root of so many of these issues with Iowa is the "old school" nature of the program. They do it how Kirk has done it for decades and he does it how Ole Raisin Face Hayden Fry and Kirk's other coaching mentors did it. Old School.
So many times "Old School" has deep roots in being non-inclusive for all kinds of minorities and non-inclusive for something that's just recently becoming taken seriously, anxiety issues and other mental well being/self care concerns. "Old School" programs were known to berate kids of any color for ******* up, be it not conforming fully to the culture or legal/personality issues. "Old School" programs are also the ones who handled things "internally", be they drug issues or legal issues like sexual assault at Baylor. So much of this is still done covertly but it's accepted because the program wins. The racial issues at Iowa fit this criteria to a T.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Wasn’t he suspended also?

Yeah, but I think he was also hurt maybe? It's been a while. So he was just gone for the last chunk of the season.
I remember there was speculation that he might not be back the next season, but he was. The shine was off though and he was gone soon after.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Maybe he finally got banned.

Or he's just really...

thinking about it?

the-new-thinker-Zso7mpIa_200.jpg

BTW. @Thinker you should totally make this your avatar. Hell I kind of want to abuse my mod powers and do it for you. HA

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The fact local media didn't dig into that more kind of pisses me off really. A current player saying there are issues should be a huge red flag..

See this is the kind of bull **** that makes it worse. Kirk would have to be caught whipping his black players with a belt for him to actually be fired for anything at Iowa. He is beloved. I'm surprised they haven't built his statue or named anything after him yet (maybe they have).

That is why athletic programs look the other way on this ****. Just like JoePa at PSU. They KNEW that Joe knew where all the bodies were buried but it took forever for it to finally land.

That "Old School" covert racism runs deep in this state. Those who deny it are kidding themselves. We're still a red state for a reason unfortunately.

You can call me a dirty liberal, but things like racial sensitivity and mental health awareness are not strongly embraced and a program that ignores those things like Iowa will get accepted by the masses, especially if Saint Kirk gets to keep his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.