Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
All you have quoted are paragraphs showing a general agreement that Iowa’s culture was more difficult to adapt to for black players (which is not discrimination), and unsubstantiated claims from various players that they perceived a difference in treatment based on race. Please point out specifically where in the report that Husch Blackwell confirmed, as a matter of fact, that black players were treated differently from white players.

Thank God your back Brodie, I thought you were going to leave
STC061693 as the standard bearer for ignorant Hawk Talk. I new we could count on you!!! Come to think of it the two of you rarely post in the same time frame perhaps you are him, doubling your impact!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We're not in criminal court 'beyond a reasonable doubt' territory here BO. Kirk's screwed.
I was the one who said the report made it clear Iowa treated Black players differently, because that's literally what the report found. Husch's investigation was to not prove anyone's innocence nor their guilt, but to report on detailed accounts from various parties. Barta believed however none of it was enough to terminate anyone else besides Doyle, their sacrificial lamb.

If this gets taken to court, they will then decide beyond a reasonable doubt, whether or not Kirk and co. discriminated against Black players. The lawyer(s) representing the players already have two separate findings to use against Iowa, one by the University done in 2018, and one done by HB just this past summer.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I was the one who said the report made it clear Iowa treated Black players differently, because that's literally what the report found. Husch's investigation was to not prove anyone's innocence nor their guilt, but to report on detailed accounts from various parties. Barta believed however none of it was enough to terminate anyone else besides Doyle, their sacrificial lamb.

If this gets taken to court, they will then decide beyond a reasonable doubt, whether or not Kirk and co. discriminated against Black players. The lawyer(s) representing the players already have two separate findings to use against Iowa, one by the University done in 2018, and one done by HB just this past summer.
I think what he's saying is that in civil court, the burden of proof isn't reasonable doubt, it's just a preponderance. That means the prosecution only has to prove that the defendant is most likely responsible, as opposed to responsible beyond a reasonable doubt. Given the findings you illustrated, I can see why some think that Iowa will settle with these players.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think what he's saying is that in civil court, the burden of proof isn't reasonable doubt, it's just a preponderance. That means the prosecution only has to prove that the defendant is most likely responsible, as opposed to responsible beyond a reasonable doubt. Given the findings you illustrated, I can see why some think that Iowa will settle with these players.
Ah, sorry for the confusion then. Well if all they have to do is find Kirk responsible that won't be hard considering he literally took blame in his press-conference saying it was his job to know what was going on within the walls of the program..

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020

It’s literally not what the report found though. The racial biases pointed out in the report were largely claims that black players felt they had to conform to a different culture, rather than feel comfortable being themselves. They cited things like not being able to listen to rap music, not being allowed to wear jewelry, being discouraged from having tattoos or individualized hairstyles, etc. I think all of those rules are stupid, and should not have been in place. But none of that proves “without a doubt” that Iowa treated players differently based on race, and it doesn’t create an actionable cause of discrimination under Title VI.

Regardless, 7 of the 8 players in the lawsuit will not be able to bring a claim under Title VI because the statute of limitations has run.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It’s literally not what the report found though. The racial biases pointed out in the report were largely claims that black players felt they had to conform to a different culture, rather than feel comfortable being themselves. They cited things like not being able to listen to rap music, not being allowed to wear jewelry, being discouraged from having tattoos or individualized hairstyles, etc. I think all of those rules are stupid, and should not have been in place. But none of that proves “without a doubt” that Iowa treated players differently based on race, and it doesn’t create an actionable cause of discrimination under Title VI.

Regardless, 7 of the 8 players in the lawsuit will not be able to bring a claim under Title VI because the statute of limitations has run.
You chose the weakest of the arguments to highlight.

"A former player said the culture is one where it is acceptable to demean people due to their disability or race".

"A second coach stated that players have told him the Iowa Way means “you act like a White person and cannot be yourself.” Indeed, one employee told investigators that White players, as well as one coach, have said that Black players do not fit “the mold.”

"One student stated that immediately upon arrival on campus, freshmen were “secluded from the rest of the team” and told by a coach that the program was “going to Tough, smart, physical Discipline Accountability Structure Giving great effort Doing things that are hard Doing things "the right way" Showing up and doing your work the best that you can Doing little things right that create a competitive edge to help create success Being responsible, accountable, caring more about others than yourself. 9 strip who they are and teach them the Iowa Way.” Players felt deceived because the coaching staff promoted a family atmosphere throughout the recruiting process yet neglected to inform them of the program’s requirement that they conform to a specific mold."

But since you want to highlight the rules argument..

"Numerous players told investigators that the rules appeared to be racially motivated or enforced differently based on race. Players observed that, because of the requirement for conformity, coaches were not accepting of minority cultures. Indeed, several players expressed Accessories Players: Not allowed to wear earrings or other jewelry or have tattoos. Coaches: Two explained jewelry rules were for health/safety reasons; two others did not know the rationale. Several noted that the team's policy changed in 2019 to allow earrings. Staff denied rules about tatoos. Clothing Players: Not allowed to wear hats, "do-rags," tank tops, and required to wear only "Iowa-issued gear" while in the football building. Coaches: Acknowledged rules about dress at team functions, while on the road for games, and wearing Iowaissued gear in the football building. Grooming Players: A number of players reported short hair was required and that hairstyles traditionally associated with Black culture (e.g., locs, braids, cornrows) were not allowed. Coaches: Two coaches noted the need for hair not to obscure players' eyes. Denied formal rules restricting long hair or other natural hairstyles. Identified former players Black and White with long hair. Overall appearance Players: Expectation of presenting a “professional appearance.” Coaches: Expectation of presenting a "professional appearance." One explained presence of scouts in the football building. 11 a belief that the rules were targeted toward Black players, and one current player asserted that the coaches were using the rules to “eliminate Black culture.” Numerous players indicated that hairstyles traditionally associated with Black culture were not allowed. Moreover, two current players complained that rules regarding hats were unfair, racially motivated, and enforced differentially because White players could wear hats, but Black players could not wear “dorags.”"

When you have rules that specifically target a group of people that's discrimination.

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Funny how I've seen quotes from Herrold and KKKirk, but nothing from Barta. Suppose he is with Mrs. Franny somewhere making counterfeit money.

merx

Sep 6, 2011
Kalispell, MT

The only conclusion I can draw from your posts is that you do not know what racial bias or racial discrimination actually is.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Is it just me, or could any dumbass have sifted through social media and written something more informative than the Husch Blackwell report? What a joke. They interviewed plenty of players, and rather than highlight answers including by race, everything was basically, "Two players reported being subject to punishment for doing X, when white players did the same thing. One coach confirmed this. However, another player interview said they did not witness different treatment based on race." Seriously, as long as you had one player out of all questioned that takes each side of the issue you pretty much can write this garbage report.

Seriously, interview all the players, see how players of each race respond, then interview players from a couple other schools in a similar way and compare the answers. Is there a disparity between how players respond by race? How does that disparity compare to other schools?

I guess that's why you never send a lawyer to do a useful human being's job.

There were instances of players and coaches citing differential punishment and enforcement of rules. Yes, there are also examples of players being punished without an example that shows differential treatment. But the latter doesn't invalidate the former. And as has been said many times, you can't dismiss Iowa players talking about feeling like there is a disparity and chalk it up to a tough environment or sour grapes. If that were the case we'd have widespread reports across CFB, yet we simply haven't seen it.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The only conclusion I can draw from your posts is that you do not know what racial bias or racial discrimination actually is.

Hawk fans usually wear blinders. All they want are wins. They don't care about or understand anything else. I would say they use the "win-at-all-costs" method, but KKKirk can't get them to the CFB playoffs as the B1G East dominates the rest of the B1G, so that method is a moot point.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Hernandez versus Baylor makes it more likely to pursue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron