Kinnick north end zone renovation

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
Maybe the University should have a free tuition contest to enhance game day experience.
Wrong on both accounts, as usual. Tons of Iowa fans griped about the whole shutting the lots down 1 hour after game ending, the draconian drinking policies that were enacted/redacted a few years back. I know you won't believe it but I personally know two longtime Iowa fans who stopped renewing their premium parking passes over those two issues.

I also know PLENTY of Iowa fans that prefer the tailgating experience at ISU due to the proximity of the parking lots.

But I digress... in your mind absolutely everything Iowa is superior to everything ISU.

Also hear, "The seats are too narrow" all the time and that was one of the reasons the NEZ needed to be renovated. I know many on this board disagree but I think the remodel looks great since i've never been a fan of the 4 slabs of concrete look that is Historical Kinnick.

Is it just me or does it make a lot of sense to just renumber the the seats at Kinnick to improve both the fan experience and the challenges that schools have in declining attendance? I'm not sure how the math works out but i would think you could remove a seat or two from the rows to help with both comfort and boost attendance percentage. Barta was on record mentioning they are trying to find the "right size" for Kinnick and that would be an easy fix.

... the school could also just block off a seat in each section as people will just naturally fill that space so they don't even have to take on much of any expense and it would still be a full house.

• Creative
Reactions: CascadeClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You're talking based on the assumption I expected you to agree. You have people here actually saying Iowa's NEZ is ugly and that Hilton is better than Kinnick LOL... of course you're going to make up something like that as a response.

I don't think Kinnicks NEZ is ugly. I actually think it looks nice. I think it makes the other part (as seen in the picture that was posted) that butts up against it look poor. Kinnick versus Hilton, apples and oranges, can't really compare them much, way different. Not making anything up. I even posted a picture of Waldorf's football field and how it bubbled. Forest City High had the same thing. Nothing I said was made up.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Is Iowa City going to get rain today? I wonder what type of conditions the field is in now

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Is Iowa City going to get rain today? I wonder what type of conditions the field is in now

Not only that, but it's supposed to rain every day this coming week. JP should offer to play next week's game at the Jack versus risking our players' health on that dangerous crap they play on in Kinnick.

• Optimistic
Reactions: wclarson

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Not only that, but it's supposed to rain every day this coming week. JP should offer to play next week's game at the Jack versus risking our players' health on that dangerous crap they play on in Kinnick.

I never thought about that. I wonder if we give them a majority of the gate if they would consider it?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I imagine there are some significant concerns regarding the integrity of the playing surface.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This kinnick turf convo reminded me of the late 80s hawkeye football poster. It was the centers hand on a football on the ground. It said real turf, real tough.

Does this mean that Iowa is no longer tough since it no longer has real turf?

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
This kinnick turf convo reminded me of the late 80s hawkeye football poster. It was the centers hand on a football on the ground. It said real turf, real tough.

Does this mean that Iowa is no longer tough since it no longer has real turf?

Iowa 2015 Football Motto could have been: "Pretend Turf, Pretend Contenders"

#missedopportunity

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Hearing as long as Iowa City doesn't get 2 inches or so before tomorrow the field should be good to go. If it rains heavy tonight or tomorrow morning things are going to be dicey

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I would lie if i didnt admit my own bias (my avatar is literally cyclone koolaid) but I've had conversations with 3 different friends this week alone who are big hawkeye fans and former or current season ticket holders that all complained about trying to get in and out of IC on gameday. Not just complain but call it a total nightmare. Also, they all praised the ease of access, set up, and atmosphere at ISU tailgates. I think your glasses may be tented a little too black and gold to see through them.

Your friends haven’t gone to many games at other venues then. It’s a lot easier to get to my spot off Melrose Ave then the one in Ames on Gameday. Especially if Iowa or Nebraska is in town. Hwy 30 is often backed up to 35 or even Boone!

Camp Randall is in a residential area, that presents challenges of its own. Minneapolis can be a doozy as well, with the stadium sitting in the middle of campus next to one way street. It gets really congested when Iowa or Wisconsin come to town. Texas A&M is another one. Yikes

mriowaniceguy

Sep 11, 2015

Nope. Didn't rain. It was hot and humid. The field was fine. Iowa worked out some kinks, a couple OTs without any experience managed to learn to deal with someone like Sutton Smith on the other side, and everyone had a great time.

I really hope the clones come in with all the glorious mentality that grips the collective hivemind of this echo chamber.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Nope. Didn't rain. It was hot and humid. The field was fine. Iowa worked out some kinks, a couple OTs without any experience managed to learn to deal with someone like Sutton Smith on the other side, and everyone had a great time.

I really hope the clones come in with all the glorious mentality that grips the collective hivemind of this echo chamber.
**** iowa

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Your friends haven’t gone to many games at other venues then. It’s a lot easier to get to my spot off Melrose Ave then the one in Ames on Gameday. Especially if Iowa or Nebraska is in town. Hwy 30 is often backed up to 35 or even Boone!

Camp Randall is in a residential area, that presents challenges of its own. Minneapolis can be a doozy as well, with the stadium sitting in the middle of campus next to one way street. It gets really congested when Iowa or Wisconsin come to town. Texas A&M is another one. Yikes
I didn’t think A&M was bad getting out of. Wisconsin, we tailgated in a business’s parking lot and that seemed to be the norm. Minnesota we rode the light rail, so I can’t speak much on how parking is, but that’s slick.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

It’s your own fault to not ride the rail at Minnesota. Gets you in and out very well.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Newsflash: Welcome to an ISU fan site.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron