Key to being successful next season....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
Anyone that has watched the last two games should know that when Railey has been in the lineup we do not give up layups, he alters shots, and is willing to dive or sacrifice his body to get the ball. In my opinion we have another Homan, Rancik, Edwards, Shirley, Vroman, and Hamilton if he would have stayed in the making. This guys in my opinion is the second most improved player on the team only to Diante Garrett with his ability to shoot the ball from the outside.

MIP(Most Improved Players this season)
1. Diante Garrett
2. Jordan Railey
3. Calvin Godfrey

As soon as Railey comes out teams can get to the basket at will, he simply is the difference in us being able to challenge teams defensively. Against Mizzou when Railey/Godfrey came in we went on a run and when Railey comes out we start to struggle defensively. When Railey picked up a foul late we were tied, he came out and we fell behind by 8, with his jump shot and his lost post moves that keep improving, I think it would be a mistake to not start him next year. He changes everything defensively for us and he can shoot. I love godfrey at the four but he simply cannot do for us what Railey can do for us due to his size, at the five, especially in Big 12 play.

I told my buddies that we would struggle in the Big 12 season if we didn't start one of these combinations:
1. Garrett
2. Anderson/Christopherson
3. Ejim
4. Godfrey/Vanderbeaken
5. Vanderbeaken/Railey

Next season we should start:
1. Who ever gives us the best chance to win at point
2. Allen
3. Ejim
4. White
5. Railey

Back-ups
1. Mcgee/Sledge/Odunsi(Hopefully one of these guys is Big 12 starter material)
2. Christopherson/Babb
3. Allen/Babb
4. Godfrey/Booker
5. White/Godfrey/Booker

I am not worried about offense under the MAYOR, I am however worried about defense, ability to create turnovers, and rebounding!!!! These three things account for about 75% of wins in my opinion!!!!

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Not quite sold on Railey, he's still not as versatile as I would want him to be... however, he had some really big buckets yesterday.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Railey is not starter Quality, He has improved but still not skilled enough. He is out of position a lot and struggles to hold his own without fouling. Booker/White is our best post guys next season. Booker will be that beast on the inside defensively.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Just to throw a potential wrench in next years starting line-ups, I saw in a interview with Korie Lucious where CFH told him that Allen would b in a smiliar role to DG this season. I don't know for sure if that means Allen will play point or if it just means that he'll be our main outside scoring threat, but it's a possibility that he'll play the 1.

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
If anyone goes back and watches the last two games and wants to understand why we have been more competitive do it. Our defense is so much better with an actual center. Railey just needs the opportunity, I am worried about Fred right now, I know it his first year but defense is the key. You can't play guys out of position or you will struggle to win consistently. Booker, Godfrey, and White are not centers, but they can play center sparingly.

My biggest issue with this team is Vanderbeaken and Chrisopherson are below average defenders at best. Garretts bigest weakness is he is an average defender at best. The only real defender we have is Jake Anderson and he is still in his first and only Big 12 season. Ejim, Railey, and Godfrey are freshmen and have not reached their potential yet so the jury is still out on their defensive capabilities for now. I think that they are actually better defenders as freshman than Garrett is as a senior but the problem is consistency and experience. Sometimes they are better and sometimes they are worse.

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
I'm not sold on Railey's screens, everyone he sets he's moving

Do you watch much college basketball? A majority of screens that are set are moving. Coaches do it intentionally to help create more space and confusion for the defensive players. Everyone tries to get away with anything that they can get away with, it is human nature. The best teams are the best at getting away with or disguising their moving screens, hand checking, or simply pushing guys out of the way in order to get a rebound.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Just to throw a potential wrench in next years starting line-ups, I saw in a interview with Korie Lucious where CFH told him that Allen would b in a smiliar role to DG this season. I don't know for sure if that means Allen will play point or if it just means that he'll be our main outside scoring threat, but it's a possibility that he'll play the 1.

I fully expect Allen to start at point.

clone319

Nov 27, 2010
Do you watch much college basketball? A majority of screens that are set are moving. Coaches do it intentionally to help create more space and confusion for the defensive players. Everyone tries to get away with anything that they can get away with, it is human nature. The best teams are the best at getting away with or disguising their moving screens, hand checking, or simply pushing guys out of the way in order to get a rebound.

But when he consistently gets in foul trouble when his minutes increase it is dumb for 1-2 of his fouls being a moving screen. And since JVB is out, naturally his minutes have increased. I understand he's just trying to create an edge, but it has been a reoccurring problem for him. Just watch him one game.

Despite that small problem I am quite impressed with Railey. He's got a better shot than I thought at the begining of the year, but I still don't see him starting with the inside men we will have eligible next year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Railey is too obvious. JVB is not a good actor either. We need improvement in this area.

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
Railey should have getting more minutes earlier in the season and he would be more ready by now. Plus he is a freshman, do you expect him to be perfect already.

If Booker was great, I think his numbers at S. Illinois would be a little better. He average 6.5 points, 4 rebounds, under 50% FG percentage, under 60% free throw percentage his sophomore year. If anyone thinks that booker is going to be a key contributor, let alone a starter they are crazy. He will be coming off the bench, there is no way he will be playing over Godfrey. He was a bench player for Southern freaking Illinois for crying out loud in the Missouri Valley. Godfrey is better as a freshman in the Big 12 than Booker was as a Sophomore in the Valley.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Godfrey: 4.8 ppg 5 rpg

Booker: 6.4 ppg 4.1 rpg

Pretty much the same to me, plus Booker has been able to redshirt and learn the system for a year.

Cydog04

Jan 18, 2011
I think your way off here! Im not big on Railey yet. He has a good middle range jumper and hes a big body but thats it. Big bodies always alter shots but he hasnt showed me the shot blocking ability he was known for in high school and when he tries he just gets fouls. With Godfrey in we have more energy and rebounding. Railey needs to improve a lot before he will see much time next year. For one he cant play enough minutes to be a starter not in very good shape and not real athletic to start with. And he gets in foul trouble easy. Hes not gonna fit in a fast paced transition offense either. But I think he will be a good utility player next year to come in and throw his size around for 10-12 minutes a game.

Cydog04

Jan 18, 2011

I think that just meant our offense would run through Allen and hed be our go to guy like DG is this year. Not that hed play point. I could be wrong but I think Allen is better served as a sg .

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I agree with the OP to a point. Jordan Railey has been much more valuable than most on this board realize. When he is in our defense is ten times better. Heck Missouri started the game 10-13 and we put Railey in and our defense starts getting stops. It's not a coincidence.

I don't know if he will start b/c we got some other guys on the bench who may be able to do what he does to an extent, but his future is bright at ISU