Kevin McHale Interview on ESPN - Credits Freddy for Royce Pick

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nicmilani

Mar 24, 2006
Did anyone else catch the Kevin McHale interview between picks 21 and 22 where they discussed Houston's 1st round?

Basically, the ESPN crew asked him about RW and Kevin began by describing his skill set and how excited he is to utilize a pass-first big man. Then the ESPN crew asked about off the court issues and Kevin said something like, "I've known Freddy for a long time - I coached him for a while - and Freddy said nothing but positive things about Royce and the things he does on and off the court." (Paraphrasing since I don't have DVR in my hotel room)

That is recruiting GOLD!

Reactions: Gtown25

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
I believe that could be the best thing to happen to Istate basketball. Let the young kids know that "Freddy" has some serious connections in the NBA.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Did anyone else catch the Kevin McHale interview between picks 21 and 22 where they discussed Houston's 1st round?

Basically, the ESPN crew asked him about RW and Kevin began by describing his skill set and how excited he is to utilize a pass-first big man. Then the ESPN crew asked about off the court issues and Kevin said something like, "I've known Freddy for a long time - I coached him for a while - and Freddy said nothing but positive things about Royce and the things he does on and off the court." (Paraphrasing since I don't have DVR in my hotel room)

That is recruiting GOLD!

It was definitely some nice extra pub, especially making note of Fred's NBA connection. It may have minimal direct impact on recruiting, but it probably won't hurt.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I think it might be here. Kevin talked last night from the draft after his selection of Royce about how unique he was as a player and a player like him doesn't come around that often.

Starts at about 6:15 talking about Royce
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jhZt-XeISU]Kevin McHale, discusses Rockets 2012 NBA draft picks - YouTube[/ame]

Found this as well. Starts about 1:05
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM0nH3cjeFA[/ame]

Last edited:

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009