Kevin Jackson

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
Wow I do love his attitude. I'm just not sure his experiences lend to being a successful D-1 college head coach.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Wow I do love his attitude. I'm just not sure his experiences lend to being a successful D-1 college head coach.

I just liked his comment about how he doesn't want anyone with Hawkeye ties near the Iowa State program. Sounds like a guy that hates Iowa as much as some of us that post on CF. I like that attitude alot.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
While I wouldnt mind a number of Ex hawkeyes getting the job, I love that Kjack would. His attitude is awesome, though I still have some reservations about him I would not be upset at all if he was named the HC.

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
I just liked his comment about how he doesn't want anyone with Hawkeye ties near the Iowa State program. Sounds like a guy that hates Iowa as much as some of us that post on CF. I like that attitude alot.

I hate that comment and that attitude, quite frankly. Some of the best wrestling coaches in the country wrestled or worked at Iowa. Eliminating that group is just plain silly.

ISU doesn't have the kind of coaching tree to make that a valid point, IMHO.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
While I don't really care one way or the other about his "not wanting an Iowa person at ISU' I do love the fact that the guy comes out and says "I'm the best guy for the job." Of course that probably means his resume will never see the light of day.

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
Just what I thought when I read the article.

My 2 cents, having met JP for about 10 seconds last year: That's more important for higher profile coaching searches. Basketball and football, sure. Wrestling? Not so much.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

I hate that comment and that attitude, quite frankly. Some of the best wrestling coaches in the country wrestled or worked at Iowa. Eliminating that group is just plain silly.

ISU doesn't have the kind of coaching tree to make that a valid point, IMHO.

:confused::confused:

You have me confused!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Can he recruit, and I believe he can.
Can he coach wrestling, I believe he can
Does he have a winning attitude, yes!

WLCY

Mar 24, 2006
West Liberty, IA
After reading the article, my guess is that Joe Heskett has been contacted by JP as he is not commenting. I would not be surprised if Joe isn't named coach.

benisu

Apr 23, 2009
Ames
The more I sit and think about it and after reading the Register article about KJ, I'm starting to really like the idea of him becoming our next head coach.

After hearing that several members of the team think he would be a good coach, it makes even more sense. This will help keep the current line-up together and it is always good when squad believes in their coach and truly wants to wrestle for them. I have no doubt he can coach, witnessed by the fact he has been the US National Freestyle team. If he can coach the nation's elite, I think he could coach the collegiate elite as well.

He also appears to have the intensity and mind-set needed to win at the college level. If he can help coach Henry Cejudo to an Olympic gold, he can coach our athletes to a national championship.

The only thing I'm not sure of is his recruiting ability. However, if you come in and take over a team and win a national title in your first year, a lot of that recruiting might just take care of itself. Especially when members of the current roster praise him and his abilities.

KJs got my vote. (and I've got his autograph :smile:)

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
Can he recruit, and I believe he can.
Can he coach wrestling, I believe he can
Does he have a winning attitude, yes!

The problem with your first two points is we have to "believe" it. I'm more than a bit surprised that a wrestling program like ISU has to hire on "belief" and not "proof."

That said, I don't think Jackson is in the mix. If you have to contact ISU and "send in materials" instead of vice versa, you aren't very high on the list and may not be on the list at all.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County

I agree. uofi has dominated wrestling for the last 30 years. It's just plain stupid to say that you're not interested in someone because of where they went to college. Perhaps we could find an ex-hawk who is intense without being an *******. As far as hating all ex-hawks, we seem to have had some ex-uofi football coaches that did o.k.
On the other hand, Kevin Jackson intrigues me, and I did shake his hand once. He'd be o.k. with me. As for his experience, how much head coaching experience did Cael have?:skeptical:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Not wanting Iowa grads in any of our athletic programs is not silly. It is the sentiment of a high percentage of Cyclone fans.

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
Not wanting Iowa grads in any of our athletic programs is not silly. It is the sentiment of a high percentage of Cyclone fans.

Well if most people believe it, it's clearly correct. Remember, a high percentage of Germans supported the Nazis.

Also, Bob Stoops isn't good enough to coach our football team.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I don't like the idea of closing the door on Iowa ties. Even if Jackson were to become coach, he needs to keep an open mind and bring in the best staff... by limiting all Iowa ties he would instantly be limiting the resources available to help ISU.

I would be OK with Jackson but quite honestly Gable was just too successful at Iowa not to have someone who learned directly from him in ISU's wrestling room. It's just dumb to eliminate any ties to the most successful team training / coaching process in the history of wrestling. We need to integrate it into our ISU process on at least some level whether it's a head coach or an assistant.