Kevin Durant Skills Academy

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Good assessment. Just terrible defender. Bad shooter. Bad ball handler. Exceptional finisher around the hoop. Very one dimensional. I like him as a player, but dont think he is skilled/clutch enough to be considered that great.

A homeless man's Blake Griffin

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I could personally care less about comparing White to Hogue (I don't even think they are that similar of players), but your numbers comparison argument is quite bogus, because outside of 3 pt% (which Hogue is not a major 3 pt shooter for us), I'd say they are actually fairly similar (based purely on your numbers). Hogue has a little edge on rebounds while White has a little edge on points. I'd also say what White lacks in 3 pt% is made up for in his 80%+ free throw %. I'm still always a little uneasy with Hogue up there (not too bad though) at the free throw line. To me, he has a very unorthodox shot that is one of those brick or swish shots in my mind (not much in-between).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66148/dustin-hogue
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56985/aaron-white

I guess I didn't make it clear by what I meant. I meant since their numbers are so similar you could argue Hogue being there too.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Both White and Uthoff were down low. How you let a guy get a lay up to win the game vs going at them hard is beyond me.

That's not what you said before with the "let Niang walk to the basket" comment. White was at the free throw line and came to help when Uthoff got burned.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I remember talking about White with my uncle (Hawk fan) earlier this year after the ISU game. His thoughts were something along the lines of: great player when he can get out and run in transition, average at best in the half court game. Pretty much agree with that. Not a bad player by any means, but has some shortcomings keeping him from really being the type of guy to dominate night in and night out.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I remember talking about White with my uncle (Hawk fan) earlier this year after the ISU game. His thoughts were something along the lines of: great player when he can get out and run in transition, average at best in the half court game. Pretty much agree with that. Not a bad player by any means, but has some shortcomings keeping him from really being the type of guy to dominate night in and night out.

Not even, in a grinder game he's going to get ground up pretty much every time.

ExCYteMe

Apr 12, 2014
So a thread that should be about BDJ turns right into a thread ripping on and defending Aaron White? WTF

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
A lot of these descriptions sound like a young Ejim and even Hogue from early last season. White has/had a lot of potential, and if he had FH as a coach, I think he could have been really good.

This was my point. Simmer down folks.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Melvin ejim?

This is exactly what I was thinking, especially Mel before this past season. Though Ejim's is a far better rebounder and White will not have remotely the senior season Mel had.

Ejim can shoot and is way better in the half court. White moves really well without the ball just like Mel though

Ejim's clearly the better all around player, but his shot wasn't that much better than White's before this last season. To his credit, White makes it down the floor quicker than Ejim did most of the time which is huge for a big man. In the Iowa-ISU game he basically beat Ejim down the floor for half his points.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
White is a good basketball player (good not great) when he's consistent, however, he has a problem staying consistent.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron