Kene Nwangwu getting PAID, drafted 4th round

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I don't know if this makes any difference -- but I read it as better than most/all of the players at their positions. IE - Lazard is better than most receivers drafted ahead of him, DM is the 2nd best RB from that draft.

Lazard works harder and is tougher than most receivers, but he's not the most talented, or the most productive. He's a guy you want on your team, but if some team had drafted him in the 3rd round their fans would have freaked out.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and madguy30

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not saying I agree with this whatsoever but the pick got at least one bad review...

View attachment 84860

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades4.php
Well yes, that’s a “bad” review. For more reasons than one.

Apparently the reviewer failed to grasp that Kene wasn’t drafted to be full time feature back. Which seems remarkably dumb.

He was drafted for his kick returner abilities, a year after the Vikes waited too long and had to settle for K.J. Osborne. Kene’s additional RB utility is just a bonus.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

Apparently the reviewer failed to grasp that Kene wasn’t drafted to be full time feature back. Which seems remarkably dumb.

He was drafted for his kick returner abilities, a year after the Vikes waited too long and had to settle for K.J. Osborne. Kene’s additional RB utility is just a bonus.
I see him taking the Ameer Abdullah role on the Vikes.

Reactions: Aclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
This has been argued many times but the people that assert it don’t ever provide evidence. Are they saying oh he played for Iowa State let’s not draft him no but there is a unconscious bias. I think it’s more an anti bi 12 bias though.
The pundits that make the narratives are some of the same types that make up GM offices. They might believe themselves perfectly fair and meritocratic, but they’re beholden to biases like everyone else.

An example is keeping drafted vs undrafted players. When in doubt, they go with the one they drafted, because it satisfies they’re pre-existing bias (and makes it seem like they didn’t waste a pick). When in doubt, some GMs probably go with the SEC or Big 10 over others, or blue bloods over others. And there’s not much difference between many of the guys taken in the later rounds and those not. Same is true about guys taken late first and in the second, and so on.

Where I think the Big 12 suffers is that our schools aren’t networked as heavily as those in bigger population centers. Lots of SEC/Big 10/PAC-12 in media, and I’m sure it’s similar in the management world because people tend to hire people like themselves.

Reactions: amishclone

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL

Walter football is garbage. They have Tyler Shough projected as the #1 pick next year.

Spartanantler

Jul 10, 2018
Yeah, I love Purdy and he's an amazing college QB, but he IS a little undersized and has made some poor decisions and doesn't have a huge arm. Those are all things that when taken together lower a QB draft stock. When every team has a McDonald and Bailey trying to chase you down and defenders that can cover and catch bad throws--yeah. But, I DO believe he'll make a team somewhere -- I just don't think he's NFL starter material. He could improve, though, and I hope he does! That would be amazing, as he's already great. Really if he just drops the "gunslinger" part of his game he'd be great -- the NFL now values mobile QBs, but if you are making bad throws you're more of a liability.
The whole undersized comment is a bunch of crap. Look at Kyler Murray and Russell Willson. I dont think those dudes are pushing 6ft

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
The whole undersized comment is a bunch of crap. Look at Kyler Murray and Russell Willson. I dont think those dudes are pushing 6ft

And drew brees. Let's not pretend the NFL isn't still a bit stuck on things like that though. It's all about the total package. If he cleans up his mistakes I think he'll get drafted (and we'll do very well this season!) The NFL is still more likely to take a flyer on a QB who is a little taller but maybe that's changing.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And drew brees. Let's not pretend the NFL isn't still a bit stuck on things like that though. It's all about the total package. If he cleans up his mistakes I think he'll get drafted (and we'll do very well this season!) The NFL is still more likely to take a flyer on a QB who is a little taller but maybe that's changing.
Agreed. For the record Murray was 5-10 1/8 at the combine. Wilson was 5-10 and Mayfield was 6-0 5/8.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

I hate to be this guy, but kick return is really no longer part of the NFL game since they moved the tee up. I'm not sure if he can return punts, but that will be his best bet to make an impact on ST

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I hate to be this guy, but kick return is really no longer part of the NFL game since they moved the tee up. I'm not sure if he can return punts, but that will be his best bet to make an impact on ST
This is false. Teams have actually started kicking the ball as close to the end zone line as possible. (as high as possible too). Which forces teams to return kicks. The extending of the fair catch to the 25 made this happen.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well it has reduced the number of returns, but hasn't eliminated them by a long shot. Last year Carolina was the best at yielding TBs on kick offs at 87.65%. Only 6 teams are able to get a TB 70% or more of the time. Detroit was worst at 33.3%

It makes sense for the Vikings to invest in a kick off return man since they play in the NFC North with:
t25th GB 50%
t25th Chi 50%
32nd Det 33.33%

Also matters that two of their division opponents have open air stadia which means wind can factor into the ability to get the kick off into the endzone.

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/kickoff-touchback-pct

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

Patterson is certainly a part of his team's ST game. Not saying Kene will put up Patterson's numbers, but if Kene can return at least 1 out of 3, that's an improvement for the Vikes.
I'm thinking the hok kid they drafted might be their punt return candidate.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I could see Purdy going as high as mid-third if he has a killer season (which I honestly expect him to) but I think that’s probably his ceiling no matter how great he is this season.
Maybe he becomes the next Drew Brees. I meant I'm kidding here. But same size, and Brees got shuffled around abit (San Diego) before becoming All-world in NO.

Is Brees arm strength that much better? I know the answer is prolly yes. but Brees also has that extra-something. Purdy might have a little of that as well?

Regardless, if Purdy doesn't become a long-term starter, I think he will start a lot of games, he should have a nice NFL career. I hope.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Maybe he becomes the next Drew Brees. I meant I'm kidding here. But same size, and Brees got shuffled around abit (San Diego) before becoming All-world in NO.

Is Brees arm strength that much better? I know the answer is prolly yes. but Brees also has that extra-something. Purdy might have a little of that as well?

Regardless, if Purdy doesn't become a long-term starter, I think he will start a lot of games, he should have a nice NFL career. I hope.
I easily could see him having a Sage type of career, and there’s absolutely no shame in that at all.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I easily could see him having a Sage type of career, and there’s absolutely no shame in that at all.

I refer to Chase Daniel in these situations although perhaps Purdy gets drafted and Sage had more yards.

But:
Undrafted
Super Bowl Ring (Saints)
$30-some million career earnings
Likely very healthy with limited field time (thrown for less than 2,000 yards)

A dream, really.

Reactions: Acylum