Ken Miller KXNO ripping us

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Because his last name is Miller and he's going to be on this show today.....I stumbled upon Jon Miller's twitter....just BASHING CPR for the presser..again, I don't want this to be a bash on Jon Miller...but rather a PRAISE for Chris Williams....Chris reports Cyclone stories/slants...but I can't remember him openly taunting/picking at the Hoks. Anyway, just a random observation.

Chris is a professional. The same can't be said about Jon

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
Chris is a professional. The same can't be said about Jon

Sry to break it to ya there Hungus, but technically speaking Jon is a professional. He speaks his mind. He gets paid to do so. I'm sure he doesn't expect you to like or even respect what he does or says. It's just his opinion. This story exploded because of what Rhoads chose to do. Obviously Jon was gonna be asked about it. If you don't like members of the Iowa media talking about it then you should be upset your beloved champion coach chose to bring the attention on himself.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Sry to break it to ya there Hungus, but technically speaking Jon is a professional. He speaks his mind. He gets paid to do so. I'm sure he doesn't expect you to like or even respect what he does or says. It's just his opinion. This story exploded because of what Rhoads chose to do. Obviously Jon was gonna be asked about it. If you don't like members of the Iowa media talking about it then you should be upset your beloved champion coach chose to bring the attention on himself.

Uh, there's a big difference between being a proffessional and being professional. Jon is a little too much of a shot-taking fanboy to be considered the latter. But it's okay. I don't expect you or the EI media to know the difference.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have to admit, the first time I watched Rhoads' Signing Day press conference, I just cringed. Paul has a way with sticking his foot in his mouth like no other. It borders on being unprofessional IMO. It makes him look silly and whiny, and he'd be much better off IMO, if he would just move on instead of crying about stuff like that.

First off, all schools, including Iowa State and Paul Rhoads himself, negative recruit. So right there, he has no room to talk about Iowa and ND trying to sway Lazard away from us, even right up to the last minute, because he does the exact same thing. He's done it on several occasions. The last one being when he stole Harvey away from his Southern Miss commitment just days before this press conference in fact. Sorry, but that is pathetic Paul. You do the same exact thing as everyone else does.

As for the media, I think they actually did deserve a little bit of ridicule from Rhoads. Maybe not to the extent that Paul did, but they still deserved some calling out IMO. I wish Paul would have started his press conference by praising Allen Lazard and talk a bit about what a great player he is, and then just end it with a simple statement about how much you admire Lazard for sticking with his commitment even though many in the media seemed to want you to go somewhere else. Then move on.

Because I did find it ridiculous how much some media members in Des Moines seemed to want to talk Lazard out of going to ISU. That is BS IMO. They should want to keep a young stud local football player in the state, versus going to ND. Because the fact was, Lazard was never really even interested in going to their favorite school, Iowa, so why even push that anymore? It was always between ISU and ND. Now why would the local media want him to go to ND instead of ISU? That is BS.

And as far as Rhoads not making Lazard available for the media for his first year, that's also dumb IMO. It just sounds like a little kid. If he doesn't want the media talking to Lazard, then just put in a rule that none of the incoming freshmen will be available to the media for interviews anymore as an ISU football policy going forward. But don't single out Lazard. I have no problem with keeping the freshmen off limits the first year so they can concentrate on adjusting to college life, etc. But don't start singling out players as something "special" versus other players on team. Just stupid IMO. It puts added pressure on Lazard too. In fact, that entire press conference just put a HUGE amount of extra pressure on Lazard's shoulders now IMO. Not fair at all to him.

Rhoads screwed this one up pretty big IMO. It made him look petty and whiny. It made ISU look even more like the little brother in the state that has no idea how to react when a great HS player picks ISU over others. And now Rhoads himself has put Lazard on an even higher pedestal than he was before, which only adds to the pressure on Lazard IMO. I know I'll be ripped apart for saying how I truly felt about this when I first saw it, but that's exactly how I felt. It was a head coach that obviously had no idea how to handle the fact that a star player actually committed to his program. I'm not sure I've ever seen a head coach act like that before just because they got a great player to commit to their program. If you are any good, it should not be that big of a deal.

Rhoads' schtick is getting pretty old IMO. Just win Paul. Let your team's winning speak for you. Winning an average of 4 times a year doesn't cut it. Not everyone in the world is out to get you. You make 2+ million dollars a year. Part of the deal with making that kind of money is dealing with criticism. And the other part of making that kind of money is winning, and frankly you aren't winning enough to justify what you're making anyway.

Just win Paul, and that will shut everyone up. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: cytown

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Uh, there's a big difference between being a professional and being professional. Jon is a little too much of a shot-taking fanboy to be considered the latter. But it's okay. I don't expect you or the EI media to know the difference.

Last edited:

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Getting mad at CPR for being passionate is like getting mad at Meat Loaf for showing emotion.

That's who he is. Get used to it or get over it. It's not the first time and certainly won't be the last.

wamfam

Dec 13, 2013
I have to admit, the first time I watched Rhoads' Signing Day press conference, I just cringed. Paul has a way with sticking his foot in his mouth like no other. It borders on being unprofessional IMO. It makes him look silly and whiny, and he'd be much better off IMO, if he would just move on instead of crying about stuff like that.

First off, all schools, including Iowa State and Paul Rhoads himself, negative recruit. So right there, he has no room to talk about Iowa and ND trying to sway Lazard away from us, even right up to the last minute, because he does the exact same thing. He's done it on several occasions. The last one being when he stole Harvey away from his Southern Miss commitment just days before this press conference in fact. Sorry, but that is pathetic Paul. You do the same exact thing as everyone else does.

As for the media, I think they actually did deserve a little bit of ridicule from Rhoads. Maybe not to the extent that Paul did, but they still deserved some calling out IMO. I wish Paul would have started his press conference by praising Allen Lazard and talk a bit about what a great player he is, and then just end it with a simple statement about how much you admire Lazard for sticking with his commitment even though many in the media seemed to want you to go somewhere else. Then move on.

Because I did find it ridiculous how much some media members in Des Moines seemed to want to talk Lazard out of going to ISU. That is BS IMO. They should want to keep a young stud local football player in the state, versus going to ND. Because the fact was, Lazard was never really even interested in going to their favorite school, Iowa, so why even push that anymore? It was always between ISU and ND. Now why would the local media want him to go to ND instead of ISU? That is BS.

And as far as Rhoads not making Lazard available for the media for his first year, that's also dumb IMO. It just sounds like a little kid. If he doesn't want the media talking to Lazard, then just put in a rule that none of the incoming freshmen will be available to the media for interviews anymore as an ISU football policy going forward. But don't single out Lazard. I have no problem with keeping the freshmen off limits the first year so they can concentrate on adjusting to college life, etc. But don't start singling out players as something "special" versus other players on team. Just stupid IMO. It puts added pressure on Lazard too. In fact, that entire press conference just put a HUGE amount of extra pressure on Lazard's shoulders now IMO. Not fair at all to him.

Rhoads screwed this one up pretty big IMO. It made him look petty and whiny. It made ISU look even more like the little brother in the state that has no idea how to react when a great HS player picks ISU over others. And now Rhoads himself has put Lazard on an even higher pedestal than he was before, which only adds to the pressure on Lazard IMO. I know I'll be ripped apart for saying how I truly felt about this when I first saw it, but that's exactly how I felt. It was a head coach that obviously had no idea how to handle the fact that a star player actually committed to his program. I'm not sure I've ever seen a head coach act like that before just because they got a great player to commit to their program. If you are any good, it should not be that big of a deal.

Rhoads' schtick is getting pretty old IMO. Just win Paul. Let your team's winning speak for you. Winning an average of 4 times a year doesn't cut it. Not everyone in the world is out to get you. You make 2+ million dollars a year. Part of the deal with making that kind of money is dealing with criticism. And the other part of making that kind of money is winning, and frankly you aren't winning enough to justify what you're making anyway.

Tell us how you really feel? You couldn't lead by example and kept it short & to the point? A Monday morning Qb?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

is this your term paper or your thesis? JFC you'd be ****** too if all the hawk media was trying to sway your recruit in their own state. My guess is CPR wouldn't have gone off if it was just the schools but when your own press coverage is rooting against you it must feel pretty f 'info frustrating and he went a little overboard. CPR is great, and with the fat man we should roll. And the media will hate us for it. Pathetic.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You knew the KXNO guys were going to be pissy as soon as CPR gave that press conference yesterday. I don't know why anyone was surprised. They pulled the same crap on Iowa when Ferentz wouldn't let DJK talk to the media, and in hindsight that was absolutely the right decision. Normally I think the KXNO bashing is a little overboard, but it is annoying when he uses the show to ***** about a decision being terrible because it makes his job harder, and then acts as though it's all about how the fans are getting hurt.

This is what all the backlash boils down to.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
is this your term paper or your thesis? JFC you'd be ****** too if all the hawk media was trying to sway your recruit in their own state. My guess is CPR wouldn't have gone off if it was just the schools but when your own press coverage is rooting against you it must feel pretty f 'info frustrating and he went a little overboard. CPR is great, and with the fat man we should roll. And the media will hate us for it. Pathetic.

Sorry about how long it was, but if it's too long, then don't read it. Pretty simple.

And if you did in fact read it, then you would know that I said the media deserved a lashing from Rhoads for trying to convince Lazard to not go to ISU. That is BS, and I said so.

I'm not going to apologize for calling a spade a spade though, when I see it. Can you possibly imagine how Cyclone fans would have treated KF had he come out and spoke like that about getting Jay Scheel to go to Iowa? We would have been all over him, and he would have deserved it too IMO. He would have looked completely silly, whiny, and stupid by doing something like that.

And Rhoads looked the same way IMO. Rhoads won the recruiting battle for Lazard. That should be victory enough. Let it be. Be a man about it. Don't lower yourself to the others level.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

No, they shouldn't. They shouldn't WANT a kid to go to any school. And I don't think they were trying to talk him out of going to ISU, either. When Lazard was still taking visits and ISU was struggling on the field the way they did, it wasn't hard to assume that the other shoe was going to drop eventually. Very, very few recruits of his caliber go to a program like ISU. It wasn't a case of the media trying to talk a kid out of his commitment. It was a case of the media being confused as to why such a star-studded recruit wouldn't bolt for Notre Dame, Stanford, etc., especially when the player still took a visit or two to Notre Dame.

I felt very confident, after I spoke with him in July, that he wasn't going to decommit. But if I were working at one of the bigger newspapers in the state, my gut feeling wouldn't be enough to overrule what my editor tells me I need to cover. And Lazard's recruitment would certainly fall under that umbrella.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
No, they shouldn't. They shouldn't WANT a kid to go to any school. And I don't think they were trying to talk him out of going to ISU, either. When Lazard was still taking visits and ISU was struggling on the field the way they did, it wasn't hard to assume that the other shoe was going to drop eventually. Very, very few recruits of his caliber go to a program like ISU. It wasn't a case of the media trying to talk a kid out of his commitment. It was a case of the media being confused as to why such a star-studded recruit wouldn't bolt for Notre Dame, Stanford, etc., especially when the player still took a visit or two to Notre Dame.

I felt very confident, after I spoke with him in July, that he wasn't going to decommit. But if I were working at one of the bigger newspapers in the state, my gut feeling wouldn't be enough to overrule what my editor tells me I need to cover. And Lazard's recruitment would certainly fall under that umbrella.

Sorry, I just don't agree with you. Why can't the media just trust Lazard when he says he's 99% committed to Iowa State? Why does that seem to bother them? Why can't they accept that?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Sorry, I just don't agree with you. Why can't the media just trust Lazard when he says he's 99% committed to Iowa State? Why does that seem to bother them? Why can't they accept that?
Sorry I didn't read your novel, but I read this. If it was so clear to all of us he was coming here, why were our fans constantly reading between the lines? Stop with this, "They're out to get us. Media, refs, big xii leadership, other coaches, the weatherman..." Did I forget anybody?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Because that's what happens when you leave the door open. Maybe I'm wrong, but it all seemed to die down once Lazard made the comments (I believe on Twitter, IIRC), that as long as Rhoads was the coach, he was going to ISU. But in the middle of all the Notre Dame visit business, you can't blame the media for asking questions. First of all, that's their job. And secondly, it would hardly have been the first time a recruit said he was committed, but kept taking visits before eventually going somewhere else.

If Pierschbacher hadn't flipped so soon after getting an offer from Alabama, he would have gotten pretty similar treatment. But there was never much drama (real or perceived) in his decommitment. There weren't visits made to Bama while he was still committed to Iowa. He got the offer, everyone assumed he'd bolt, and he didn't take long to do it.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
While you are all bashing the kxno guys, remember that Chris Williams is asked to come on these shows quite often and they are nothing but respectful to him and they do spend a fair amount of time giving ISU some decent pub (not to mention CF).
Respectful? A lot of butt kissing during those segments....from both sides.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL

Give me a break. Nobody held a gun to Lazards head and made him take all those calls from other schools. He openly said he was still going to accept recruitment from other schools. He even went to ND for a game and a recruiting weekend. He wanted to keep his options open til the end. The media simply followed suit.

It'd be completely different if he said "I'm done, I'm going to ISU no matter what". But that wasn't the case.

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
Uh, there's a big difference between being a proffessional and being professional. Jon is a little too much of a shot-taking fanboy to be considered the latter. But it's okay. I don't expect you or the EI media to know the difference.

Go back and read Hungus' post as that's what I was responding to. He said "Chris is a professional". Which means he was talking about being a professional. If Chris is a professional then Jon most certainly is as well.

As far as what you're saying... Just because you don't agree with something a member of the media says doesn't make them unprofessional. Is Ken Miller unprofessional for voicing his opinion as well? Or the guy who wrote the article in the Register? These guys are paid to share their opinions. Jon is as well. You're just calling him unprofessional because you don't agree with him.

wamfam

Dec 13, 2013
Sorry about how long it was, but if it's too long, then don't read it. Pretty simple.

And if you did in fact read it, then you would know that I said the media deserved a lashing from Rhoads for trying to convince Lazard to not go to ISU. That is BS, and I said so.

I'm not going to apologize for calling a spade a spade though, when I see it. Can you possibly imagine how Cyclone fans would have treated KF had he come out and spoke like that about getting Jay Scheel to go to Iowa? We would have been all over him, and he would have deserved it too IMO. He would have looked completely silly, whiny, and stupid by doing something like that.

And Rhoads looked the same way IMO. Rhoads won the recruiting battle for Lazard. That should be victory enough. Let it be. Be a man about it. Don't lower yourself to the others level.

IMO, who are you again?????:twitcy: