Ken Miller KXNO ripping us

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No just a Canadian

USATSI_7508035_221257_lowres.jpg

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
It is kind of ironic how the media carries the "Iowa State will NEVER be good in football - they'll never get quality players to Ames" meme.

Then when a quality player DOES commit to ISU they get all, "Why doesn't he pick Notre Dame or Iowa?" on us.

Stormwarning

Aug 6, 2013
I feel that if Ken Miller is ripping on Iowa State, then we're probably doing something right.

If Miller starts singing ISU praises, then it's time to be truly concerned.

Actually...then everyone on here would think he is awesome and knows his stuff.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
It is kind of ironic how the media carries the "Iowa State will NEVER be good in football - they'll never get quality players to Ames" meme.

Then when a quality player DOES commit to ISU they get all, "Why doesn't he pick Notre Dame or Iowa?" on us.

Nexus - The bias of most Iowa media types is . . . .ISU is NOT WORTHY to "be good" in modern football BECAUSE of what happened in the last century. That argument is really getting old to most true ISU fans. They blatantly dismiss what ISU has accomplished in the last 15 years in football compared to what it once was. They also ignore what programs ISU had to recruit and compete against versus the pathetically weak Big 10-11-12 (or whatever they call themselves now).

Secondly, predominant sportscasters in this state have EITHER graduated from Iowa OR MUST publically proclaim allegiance to Hawkeye Nation (in some cases passing the Shibboleth test - that is . . . public scorn, humor, foolish headlines, ignoring, marginalization, and open ridicule of ISU football. The ole' "we know how pathetic ISU football has been . . . lipstick on a pig . . . . no Jan 1 bowls . . . mistaken 'Clowns' comment, etc.."

You are correct.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Radio sucks and has for the last 10 years. (thank you Janet Jackson) They have pushed the talented well paid professionals out of the profession and replaced them with $10/hr no talent trolls. I believe I'm being very generous in saying $10/hr. They are just bitter, underpaid DJ's that go home and drink themselves to sleep in the hell they've surrounded themselves in. Take them for that and you'll learn to listen to them in the context of comedy radio.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Radio sucks and has for the last 10 years. (thank you Janet Jackson) They have pushed the talented well paid professionals out of the profession and replaced them with $10/hr no talent trolls. I believe I'm being very generous in saying $10/hr. They are just bitter, underpaid DJ's that go home and drink themselves to sleep in the hell they've surrounded themselves in. Take them for that and you'll learn to listen to them in the context of comedy radio.

Exactly right.

Radio is dying just like print, and just like print that leaves the hacks to take **** wages to do it.

I remember living in Des Moines listening to Steve Deace (sports, not bible thumping) and thinking how remarkable it was that he was so good and everyone else locally was so bad. Why any of you DSM guys would listen to local hacks is beyond me.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I've always considered Ken Miller the least-biased and most-knowledgable guy on the radio in this market. I mean that. But with that said, after today's show, it seems he's followed the lead of other butthurt media types on this one. The press conference has been completely blown out of proportion because the Reg and radio types like M & A and M & B don't like be called out for hounding and singling out an 18-yr-old kid.

Yeah, they got a little butthurt from CPR's statements, but I still think a lot of it has to do with a success story at ISU football. All of these guys are happy to tell ISU how sweet we are, we're doing a good job, as long as ISU is still a mid pack, struggling to recruit football team. Even in years we beat Iowa, they still feel superior and blame it on some fluke. When something like AL committing to ISU happens, it pisses them off because they just don't understand it. They honestly can't believe why a kid would choose ISU over any other school, especially Iowa. When I hear the hawkeye name thrown around with Notre Dame, Alabama, it makes me laugh my *** off.

I think as much of the butthurt comes from Hawkeye entitlement as it does actually being ****** about AL being off limits. Iowa State can't do this, they are Iowa State.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Miller and Brinson brought up this topic an hour into their show Wednesday, so it was not near as the taking point that it was yesterday.

If you don't think they all read message boards, find the most takes about subjects, and then try and create buzz for people to listen and call into their show, then your stupid.

The fact that there is a thread on CF about this means that they have won.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Miller and Brinson brought up this topic an hour into their show Wednesday, so it was not near as the taking point that it was yesterday.

If you don't think they all read message boards, find the most takes about subjects, and then try and create buzz for people to listen and call into their show, then your stupid.

Nobody wins in the world of DSM sports talk radio.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Miller's an *** and I haven't to him for years so I really don't care what he thinks. I actually think Murph and Andy are pretty fair and neutral, and while I don't really agree with them in this case, I get why they're upset. I just won't listen to them till Monday and problem solved.

upstateclone

Sep 26, 2013
South Cackalacky

Oh, the irony!

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Not in Iowa so don't know the specific comments.

But any comparison of Mac and CPR is silly. As just one objective measure, I believe CPR has had more upset victories in his coaching career than Mac had in twice as many years. And I liked Mac. Not trying to rip on him at all and happy he found success at NT. But CPR is a better coach (and recruiter) during a much more difficult competitive landscape.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Not in Iowa so don't know the specific comments.

But any comparison of Mac and CPR is silly. As just one objective measure, I believe CPR has had more upset victories in his coaching career than Mac had in twice as many years. And I liked Mac. Not trying to rip on him at all and happy he found success at NT. But CPR is a better coach (and recruiter) during a much more difficult competitive landscape.
It depends on what you're using to judge recruiting. If it's Rivals, which seems to be preferred by most, then Mac actually had better rankings in the conference on average then CPR. CPR has been last or next to last every single year. Mac had some classes in the middle of the pack. Mac wore out at ISU and it was time to move on for both him and ISU but he was and is a pretty good coach.

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
Put a gun to their head and make them choose, I believe Miller, Murph and Andy would all pick ISU over Iowa. While I agree that there are lots of admitted hoks on the radio (and O admitted Clones) I think you guys are way way too sensitive about this stuff. They can't be critical of ISU without being a hok homer? That's their job. All three of those guys regularly hammer the hoks on stupid $hit they do.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Put a gun to their head and make them choose, I believe Miller, Murph and Andy would all pick ISU over Iowa. While I agree that there are lots of admitted hoks on the radio (and O admitted Clones) I think you guys are way way too sensitive about this stuff. They can't be critical of ISU without being a hok homer? That's their job. All three of those guys regularly hammer the hoks on stupid $hit they do.

I don't listen to any of them, so I don't know. However, Hoks seemed to get a total pass on Rhabdogate. That was when I still read the Rag's sports page. And then they had the hissy fit on ISU's NCAA phone thing, which seemed much less serious than a bunch of college athletes in the hospital. Did these KXNO hacks say anything about Rhabdogate?

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
It depends on what you're using to judge recruiting. If it's Rivals, which seems to be preferred by most, then Mac actually had better rankings in the conference on average then CPR. CPR has been last or next to last every single year. Mac had some classes in the middle of the pack. Mac wore out at ISU and it was time to move on for both him and ISU but he was and is a pretty good coach.

Don't try to argue Mac had better Rivals rated classes or more wins on here. Been there, done that. Most on here don't believe he holds a candle to Rhoads. How quickly we all forget.