Keithen English Update

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Don't know for sure it's a miss, I'm just going off of what's been posted on this board. Any good football player that ISU offers that decides to go elsewhere is a "miss". You have a problem with my lingo? I'm sure CPR will tell you the same. He doesn't extend offers to kids that:

1. He doesn't think he can get.
2. He feels is not a miss if they go somewhere else.

Like I said, I've seen him at 305 pounds cover RB's out of the backfield in 7 on 7 competitions. Just thought you would like to know that.

Why does a coach have a 300 pound kid play 7 on 7? I guess I don't understand that - he's not gonna be a linebacker at the next level - investing time in 7 on 7 seems odd.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'd heard that his coach wanted him to hold out and wait for a better offer, and take ISU if no one his coach deemed better offered. I'm sure Paul wasn't going to wait around and let the rug get pulled out from under him.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Yeah, I can see that. After all, there are so many athletic, 300 pound defensive tackles fighting to get into ISU that CPR can just turn another one away... :jimlad:

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
if he is interested in the cyclones he would have committed by now...we can turn the 6-7 230 lb stork from california into a 320 lb. defensive tackle by his soph year.just take him downtown ames to the bbq restaurant 4x a day and he will be ready to play defensive tackle by his soph year. who was the great linebacker that was 25-40 years back that was tall a gangly lad and was named the "STORK?" i think he ended up playing pro ball after playing college ball..

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, I can see that. After all, there are so many athletic, 300 pound defensive tackles fighting to get into ISU that CPR can just turn another one away... :jimlad:

I'm sure he didn't turn him away but he isn't going to sit around and wait for him. We can't.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
if he is interested in the cyclones he would have committed by now...we can turn the 6-7 230 lb stork from california into a 320 lb. defensive tackle by his soph year.just take him downtown ames to the bbq restaurant 4x a day and he will be ready to play defensive tackle by his soph year. who was the great linebacker that was 25-40 years back that was tall a gangly lad and was named the "STORK?" i think he ended up playing pro ball after playing college ball..

Ted Hendricks was known as the "Stork" but he never attended ISU. Matt Blair did attend ISU and was a pretty great Linebacker at ISU and for the Vikings in the NFL.

Keithen English is a decent prospect but I don't see Texas, Oklahoma, and the perceived "Powers" offering him or knocking down his door. He may now end up at a mid-major at best. Hope he is happy.

And maybe he still gets offered, but I think the Coaches are concerned that he hasn't decided to be "ALL IN" at this point and would rather have someone completely committed to ISU.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
And maybe he still gets offered, but I think the Coaches are concerned that he hasn't decided to be "ALL IN" at this point and would rather have someone completely committed to ISU.
Horse manure. Any kid has the right, even the responsibility, to take until Feb. 2 to determine not only where he will spend the next four or five years of his life or spent, but likely, how the remainder of his life will be shaped. Some of you guys seem to think that you just flip a coin over such decisions.

Either that, or you're a little too full of yourselves.

After a kid commits, or signs on the dotted line, then, he's expected to be fully committed. If he needs it, let him take all the time in the world to decide. It's his future, after all!

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Horse manure. Any kid has the right, even the responsibility, to take until Feb. 2 to determine not only where he will spend the next four or five years of his life or spent, but likely, how the remainder of his life will be shaped. Some of you guys seem to think that you just flip a coin over such decisions.

After a kid commits, or signs on the dotted line, then, he's expected to be fully committed. If he needs it, let him take all the time in the world to decide. It's his future, after all!

Thank you!

+1

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

No doubt. Keithen English has that right. But the ISU Coaching Staff also has the right to impose their own deadlines on certain recruits if they desire. That is one of the ways you get young men to commit early.

In other words, We have a scholarship for you NOW, we will give you a bit of time, but if you want to continue to look around and not commit at a certain point, we plan on moving on to a young man who is WILLING to commit to us.

So the OFFER of a Scholarship may contain an Expiration Date. And SOME recruits may be offered a Grayshirt scholarship but if someone else wavers and doesn't sign they may get the full offer right away.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I saw him last spring in a 7 on 7 tournament in Dallas. He was closer to 305-310 but he does run very well. He played middle linebacker in the tournament and covered RB's. So, I would agree that he very well runs a 4.7 to 4.8. Huge miss for ISU!

CPR's stated credo on recruiting - its not the kid you want and don't get thats a "miss" - its signing a kid who turns out to be less than stellar that truly counts as a "miss".

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

They sure do. He can take all the time they want but the staff can also pull the scholarship off if they don't want to wait. Hell they can pull the scholarship after they sign if they want, but that's beside the point.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006

After a kid commits, or signs on the dotted line, then, he's expected to be fully committed. If he needs it, let him take all the time in the world to decide. It's his future, after all![/QUOTE
I agree it's his future, but it's also CPR's scholaship to give out and if he waits to give it to someone else than English is out with the Good Guys.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
They sure do. He can take all the time they want but the staff can also pull the scholarship off if they don't want to wait. Hell they can pull the scholarship after they sign if they want, but that's beside the point.

I agree it's his future, but it's also CPR's scholarship to give out and if he waits to give it to someone else than English is out with the Good Guys.

All of these are very good points--and very true. However. they also have absolutely nothing to do with either known facts, or the original post that I was responding to.