Keeping Dogs off Property (yes it is the offseason)

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
So this morning I find dog poop on my sidewalk, a hazard we all face from time to time. I was wondering if anyone has had success with keeping people's dogs off their lawn/sidewalk with deterrents, etc. I don't want to harm the dogs, but do want to keep them off my property.

Anyone find any successful remedies?

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Re: Keeping Dogs off Propery (yes it is the offseason)

I just make sure my dog is bigger than theirs.

Otherwise you could talk to them, but I don't like my neighbors much.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

A fence? But you can't stop people from walking on the sidewalk unless I'm misunderstanding something.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

More then likely the sidewalk is not your property. You are responsible for maintenance and upkeep, but the City owns the property the sidewalk lays on.

That being said, find the culprit and follow the lead of this video...
[video=youtube;PA6HYvaXdHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA6HYvaXdHU[/video]

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

My neighbor let's his two labs run around the front yard alot and I end up picking up about 3-4 piles a week. Super annoying.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA

lawn chair+no shirt+cooler of beer near sidewalk and you don't have to worry about the dogs/owners walking down your sidewalk

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny

Get a trail cam to identify the offender then relocate the mess to the owner's front step.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa

So this morning I find dog poop on my sidewalk, a hazard we all face from time to time. I was wondering if anyone has had success with keeping people's dogs off their lawn/sidewalk with deterrents, etc. I don't want to harm the dogs, but do want to keep them off my property.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Really though, whats the big deal? Yes, if the owners do not pick up the dog crap they are being ********. If you catch them leaving the turds behind give them a good *** chewing, if you do not catch them looks like you either have to clean up a few turds or just leave it for some good fertilizer. The people and dogs are just passing through, not moving in.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

I can understand the annoyance. When we first got a dog as kids we didn't really understand until a neighbor complained to my parents.

If it is that big of deal put a sign up. If they are roaming free call animal control. Otherwise it is the sidewalk and I can do pretty much anything there.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

See if you can figure out the culprit and politely ask the owner to clean up after their pet as that's common courtesy. The dog isn't the problem, an irresponsible owner is.

REDCYBIRD

Mar 27, 2006
Ames, Iowa

We had this problem a few years back. I asked the owner to please keep his dog out of our yard. Didn't work. I threw turds back in his yard, put them on his front step and sidewalk. Nothing worked. I finally came up with an idea that worked. He had a car with recessed windshield wipers. I put the turds on the wipers and as luck would have it there was a heavy dew the next morning. I never had another problem! :twitcy:

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008

As a dog owner - there are times where we find our dog's bowels to surprise us and are left unprepared.

If it makes you feel better, it's embarrassing for us to act like we're picking it up only to shuffle off quickly.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

As a dog owner - there are times where we find our dog's bowels to surprise us and are left unprepared.

If it makes you feel better, it's embarrassing for us to act like we're picking it up only to shuffle off quickly.

So true. My wife brought Dierks to one of our pregame radio shows last fall. Big man took a crap right in the middle of the road where the band marches to get to the stadium. Luckily, she had a bag.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

2 bags for every dog you're walking. Not hard, get pockets.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

In all serious Linden, this all comes down to the dog owner. Any responsible dog owner should either carry a bag with them at all times or if you don't have one, go back and pick it up. Sounds like you have some idiots around you that make the rest of us look bad.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Was raking yesterday and came across an occasional dog poopie. I figure they are from my neighbor’s geriatric beagle. He’s my old buddy so I give him a pass. Seriously old little doggy though, I remember him stealing gloves when my buddies and I were laying block for my house addition. That was 2000.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Amen to this. I have a corner lot so I have a lot of sidewalk traffic. I was out mowing for the first time this weekend and was pretty ****** to see how much dog poop there was out there. Come on dog owners!

Reactions: LindenCy