Kansas State vs Iowa State Predictions

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You could make a legitimate case for #2 for Bruce.

one Final Four, one Elite 8, one shared B12 title, and on his way to at least another share (possible outright) title.

His resume is better than all but Self and maybe Huggins or Krueger.

With that said, it’s a tough league to rank because there are a lot of REALLY good coaches in the B12.

Would you trade Prohm for Bruce? I wouldn't

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Would you trade Prohm for Bruce? I wouldn't

Probably not because that includes the future and Prohm hasn’t coaches for as long as Weber, so he hasn’t had the chance to build his resume.

Weber is annoying and comes off as whining, but there’s no denying he’s a good coach.

If you compared blind resumes, his stacks right up there with some of the top non-blueblood coaches in the country.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Probably not because that includes the future and Prohm hasn’t coaches for as long as Weber, so he hasn’t had the chance to build his resume.

Weber is annoying and comes off as whining, but there’s no denying he’s a good coach.

If you compared blind resumes, his stacks right up there with some of the top non-blueblood coaches in the country.

That's why I put Prohm 3rd behind Self and Beard. If you're going off resumes Prohm wouldn't be in the top half

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
That's why I put Prohm 3rd behind Self and Beard. If you're going off resumes Prohm wouldn't be in the top half

Ok fine, but we're biased towards ISU and Prohm. If you polled 10,000 random B12 fans of all schools, Weber would rate way higher than Prohm. Also, Weber is having some of his best success currently (last two years) so it's not like it's all ancient history on his resume.

Prohm is also performing very well taking the 10th place team to top 4 currently.

It's very tough to rank coaches in a league like this where you have so many who have been to the Final Four. There aren't a lot of clear cut answers.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We can certainly win but with the way we are playing and the way they are playing I just don't see it. I don't see a toughness with our team right now. We showed some toughness against Texas and OU but those shouldn't have been such close games in the first place. Tack on the TCU debacle and my brain can't predict good things. We all know that the worm can turn so it's always possible.

70-63 Purple Kitties

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We can certainly win but with the way we are playing and the way they are playing I just don't see it. I don't see a toughness with our team right now. We showed some toughness against Texas and OU but those shouldn't have been such close games in the first place. Tack on the TCU debacle and my brain can't predict good things. We all know that the worm can turn so it's always possible.

70-63 Purple Kitties

We've won 6 out of 8 with two top 20 road wins in there

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i'm sure prohm has his reasons, but in watching other teams play the past few days, many good teams switch up their defense. just the switch alone sometimes causes 10-12 seconds off the shot clock and teams get a few good defensive stops out of it. the 3/4 press worked amazingly well for both iowa and duke in their big comeback wins too.

without an adequate zone, we're being exposed when teams start to drive on us, and k-state has the players to do that to us again.

KSU/TX/TCU are obviously our toughest tests remaining, I think we can get at least one, but KSU might be the toughest given how well they're playing.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We've won 6 out of 8 with two top 20 road wins in there
I'm talking the last 3 games. Teams go through ups and downs and I hope the downs are over. Beating Texas and OU while not playing very well is awesome but doesn't change the fact that we didn't play very well.

I actually think starting off with some hot shooting will propel this team no matter what game that happens in.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Ok fine, but we're biased towards ISU and Prohm. If you polled 10,000 random B12 fans of all schools, Weber would rate way higher than Prohm. Also, Weber is having some of his best success currently (last two years) so it's not like it's all ancient history on his resume.

Prohm is also performing very well taking the 10th place team to top 4 currently.

It's very tough to rank coaches in a league like this where you have so many who have been to the Final Four. There aren't a lot of clear cut answers.

Remember KSU's own fanbase wanted Weber out before last year's run in the tourney, I think most B12 fans would prefer Prohm if polled, there is a reason it seems KSU is almost always underrated as they were leading the B12 a week ago and still behind KU and ISU in the selection committees eyes.

I prefer Prohm but as you state as an ISU fan there is some inherent bias. Weber is a very good in game coach and gets the most out of his players and I'd say a bit better than Prohm there. I have seen some improvements from CSP in calling plays and improving the defense so I think he can match Bruce there in a couple of years. The major difference in my mind is the recruiting, Prohm has already proven to me that he can identify elite college talent, get them to commit and improve to the NBA interest level. That raised the ceiling of an ISU chances to make national noise over KSU.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We showed some toughness against Texas and OU but those shouldn't have been such close games in the first place.

Why not? Texas can play with anybody and some mock brackets still have Oklahoma remarkably in as a 9 or 10 seed. The TCU loss was a dumpster fire, but it amazes me that people expect blowouts in the Big 12 every night.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Remember KSU's own fanbase wanted Weber out before last year's run in the tourney, I think most B12 fans would prefer Prohm if polled, there is a reason it seems KSU is almost always underrated as they were leading the B12 a week ago and still behind KU and ISU in the selection committees eyes.

I prefer Prohm but as you state as an ISU fan there is some inherent bias. Weber is a very good in game coach and gets the most out of his players and I'd say a bit better than Prohm there. I have seen some improvements from CSP in calling plays and improving the defense so I think he can match Bruce there in a couple of years. The major difference in my mind is the recruiting, Prohm has already proven to me that he can identify elite college talent, get them to commit and improve to the NBA interest level. That raised the ceiling of an ISU chances to make national noise over KSU.

Will be interesting to see who is still on the Weber train 12 months from now. He's doing what he pretty much should do this year with an upperclassmen-dominated team.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
ISU is more talented and better coached plus should be pissed off from last weekend. I'll got 71-67 clones

I have to say I find the bolded a bit comical. Bruce Weber has been to twelve NCAA tournaments, including an Elite 8 and a Championship game. He is in the midst of a 9 game conference win streak. We lost at home to them already this year. Wade and Brown are probably First Team All-Big 12 if voting was today.

I'm all for positivity, but that statement is not exactly rooted in fact.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I have to say I find the bolded a bit comical. Bruce Weber has been to twelve NCAA tournaments, including an Elite 8 and a Championship game. He is in the midst of a 9 game conference win streak. We lost at home to them already this year. Wade and Brown are probably First Team All-Big 12 if voting was today.

I'm all for positivity, but that statement is not exactly rooted in fact.

You'd trade Prohm for Weber right now?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
ISU definitely should throw in some zone against KSU because they really struggle with it. Give KSU credit because they could have easily got beat last night on the roads at Texas but they shot well and Texas didn't. I just hope that that TCU loss has ISU coming out looking to murder KSU on Saturday. You would think they would come out focused and with a ton of energy.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You'd trade Prohm for Weber right now?
Most observers probably would, but right now it’s a TBD. Remember, Weber is at Kansas State. Perhaps you’re not as high on ISU as a program as others are?

Weber has accomplished things Prohm has yet to, and done better in comparable situations, such as inheriting a 10-8 team and winning the conference the next year. He’s a flake though, which leads to some inconsistencies, although I guess his floor season is still a little better than Prohm’s.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You made the claim that we are better coached. If you are asking me if I had to pick one of the two of them to coach a single game, I'd pick Weber.

giphy.webp

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This makes the “as good as your last game” crowd seem reasonable.

I've already noted that I think he's a good coach, despite some of his issues. Simply noting that, human nature being what it is, Weber would have been ranked lower last year (before the tournament) and will likely be ranked lower in a conversation 12 months from now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron