Kansas: most overated team in the country

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I was not impressed by them Wednesday night and they almost laid another egg at home to Nebraska. They remind me a lot of Texas last year. A major win streak at the begining of the year but an even bigger collapse once they hit conference play. Their biggest problem is their guards...nothing special here. They really miss Collins and Henry. Reed looks like their best backcourt player but he is probably about as good as Lucca Staiger. Kansas is in trouble, and I think they will have a lot of problems with teams like Missouri and aTm. Can't say this makes me sad.

Last edited:

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Their backcourt isn't good enough to compete for a championship. Selby has been relatively quiet, and Reed and Morningstar are only going to hit the open shot. They have to dominate the frontcourt, which they mostly do.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
They have good front court players but I think they are going to struggle when they play a team that has any physicality at all. They may still win, but it won't be easy.

EddieISU

Aug 16, 2008
Waukee "The Key", iowa
Agree with the earlier post regarding their guard play. I don't see them winning the Big 12 this year either. Having said all that, Big Brother (NCAA) loves Kansas, so who knows what kind of "bunnies" they'll pull out of their hats.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
I am going to have to go with Corey Haim and Corey Feldman as most overrated team. While their outstanding cinematic work speaks for itself, you just can't have the team split and one guy kick the bucket before you even put in a couple of decades of work.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I can't say that I think Kansas is as good as top 5 teams in most seasons. But I feel like college basketball is down at the top this season. So I'm not sure what team that is ranked below Kansas that you think is definitely better. Maybe Syracuse or Pitt, if you really want to argue it, but that still keeps KU in the top 5. KenPom has KU at 3, and Sagarin has KU at 2/3.

So I wouldn't consider KU overrated. They're as good as anyone else in what seems to be a down year. They're not winning by huge margins, sure, but there's something to be said about taking everyone's best shot and still winning every game.

If anyone thinks Kansas is anything but the favorite in the conference, I'd be happy to take some wagers.

Cyclonz

Nov 23, 2009
Denver, CO
I agree, but also believe I State and Nebraska are better and there will be more balance in the Big 12 this season. Kansas, TX, A&M, Missouri, K St will need to show up to play each and every night or they'll find themselves in a dog fight.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I was not impressed by them Wednesday night and they almost laid another egg at home to Nebraska. They remind me a lot of Texas last year. A major win streak at the begining of the year but an even bigger collapse once they hit conference play. Their biggest problem is their guards...nothing special here. They really miss Collins and Henry. Reed looks like their best backcourt player but he is probably about as good as Lucca Staiger. Kansas is in trouble, and I think they will have a lot of problems with teams like Missouri and aTm. Can't say this makes me sad.

I have a good feeling that Baylor will take them down tommorow nite.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't know if I'll put KU in the final four in my bracket because I'm not a believer in their back court to that extent. But judging by who they beat so far they deserve to be ranked in at least the top 3-4 right now.

I do think ISU is going to have a better year than Nebraska, I've thought this since before the season and watching them @Lincoln only reinforced it. Now that they're finally playing road games the wheels will come off because they have no shooters.

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I agree that in my limited opinion, KU is overrated and have an inflated record. I also agree with the poster who mentioned that their back court is what will hold them back.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
KU isn't a very good shooting team, I think Baylor beats them with their zone. I wish we would've zoned more against KU. They certainly haven't been blowing out teams at home, which they normally do to teams like USC, UCLA, Neb, etc.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I don't think that the KU guards are elite, but they distribute the ball well, and the whole team passes well to make up for it. I wouldn't bet against them. These guys saw first hand what happened last year and will be vigilant to make sure that it doesn't happen 2 years in a row.

I think that the way everyone shares the ball will make up for the lack of scoring talent and crazy good assistst from the back court. They are good enough to make it deep into the tourney, but I will agree to the extent that I don't expect them as NC's. They won't be able to finish it all off, but team passing is quite consistant when you have 2 bigs like the Morris'. I don't think that they'll be as vulnerable to hot teams and rough nights.

I see them as a solid Elite 8 team and a good shot at Final 4. Just not more than that, and that is where they are rated for the most part this year. They are on a high because they haven't lost a game, but that is the way the rankings go. They'll level off after a road loss or 2. somewhere close to the top 5, but on the cusp.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
They may prove to be overrated in the end, but Baylor, UNC and Michigan State are teams that have failed to live up to their early season expectations. To the credit of Kansas, they've made it through half the season without slipping up. They must be doing something right.