Kansas City Trip

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
In two weeks I'm heading out to KC for a fun weekend getaway. Friday night we already have tickets to a Royals vs Cards game. Saturday we're talking of Worlds of Fun. We found Jacks BBQ as a place to hopefully get some good food, but we're stuck on what else to fill our time.

We'll be there most of the day Friday, and can't check in before 4pm, and probably won't head back till the evening on Sunday. So that leaves most of Friday, Saturday night, and most of Sunday to check out KC.

We read up on the Power and Light district that seemed interesting, but any other recommendations?

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Could also look int touring the Boulevard Brewery... Im pretty sure they do weekend tours as well... Did it once and would def do it again!! CC Plaza is were tomfooleries is... and Jack Stacks... my wife and I prefer CC Plaza over Power and light....

resident

Nov 13, 2006
seattle
Could also look int touring the Boulevard Brewery... Im pretty sure they do weekend tours as well... Did it once and would def do it again!! CC Plaza is were tomfooleries is... and Jack Stacks... my wife and I prefer CC Plaza over Power and light....

The Boulevard tour books months in advance so it is likely too late for that.

Check out Flying Saucer in PNL or The Foundry in Westport if you are a craft brew fan. The Screenland Theaters are a cool place to grab a beer and a movie. The Plaza has the best shopping. Eggtc. has the best breakfast. There are Sidepockets locations all over for billiards. Westport, Martini Corner, Power and Light, and Waldo (in order of personal preference) are all the drinking/entertainment districts.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Sign me up as a fan of the Power & Light... maybe just the PBR Big Sky bar. That place is awesome.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Ok, so hitting Jack's and Oklahoma Joes for BBQ, great! Tomfooleries on Sunday for brunch buffet sounds good to me.

I appreciate the link to run down of bars, etc -but I think we're looking for "attractions" I guess...

Besides shopping, does the Plaza offer much else - we're not really shoppers.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, it definitely helps to narrow down choices and get personal feedback!

resident

Nov 13, 2006
seattle
Ok, so hitting Jack's and Oklahoma Joes for BBQ, great! Tomfooleries on Sunday for brunch buffet sounds good to me.

I appreciate the link to run down of bars, etc -but I think we're looking for "attractions" I guess...

Besides shopping, does the Plaza offer much else - we're not really shoppers.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, it definitely helps to narrow down choices and get personal feedback!

The Plaza doesn't have much to offer outside food/drink and shopping. The architectural style is neat so if that floats your boat it might be fun to look at. The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art is also in that area.

Others I forgot to mention...Penn Valley Park and the National WWI Museum have the best scenery in the city. Swope Park has a zoo. The River Market is a really great place to visit on Saturday mornings.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
This might prompt a good question.

Being a photographer, would some of these parks that are suggested be good photo opportunities? May other areas?

Did some searching today and Warren Haynes is in town on Sunday night, too bad we're heading back that evening!!!!

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Ok, not here to give a play by play of the trip, but at least wanted to extend out a thanks to everyone for suggestions and give some feedback on places we went.

The Harley tour was one would expect who's been on a tour. Walk around, see the process of stuff being made, then leave. But it was interesting to see such a thing. Some parts your up close and personal, others you stand back and watch - overall a grade of B+

Oklahoma Joes' - we hit this place after the tour and before the Royals game. Not a big place, but the turn around is awesome. Unfortunately the Burnt Ends weren't available, so I settled for Pulled Porked Sandwhich. I wasn't blown away, but it was still rather good. I would definitely go again and get ribs and see how that compares. Overall a grade of A-

Kauffman Stadium - That is one big scoreboard!!! Actually that really helps with the enjoyment of the game. Although we had some good seats, the scoreboard added an extra dimension. It's a nice, simple looking stadium. I've been there before, but only as a kid, and the game ended up being really god to. Overall a grade of A

Worlds of Fun - Another place I've been before, and although they have 3 awesome roller-coasters, I'm reminded a lot of Adventureland. It was a fun day, and got there early enough to hit everything and not have to wait in line. For two adults without kids, the entertainment only lasts so long, but look forward to heading back again with the kids. Overall a grade of B+

BB's Lawnside BBQ - Maybe the best atmosphere of BBQ eating ever. Recommended by a gentleman I met at Oklahoma Joe's I was very excited to try this place and it didn't disappoint. Arriving at 4:30 in the afternoon, they had live Blues music to enhance your dining experience. This time I got the ribs, and they fell off the bone and melted in my mouth. The sauce was a bit spicy, but manageable - none the less I walked away impressed. Overall a grade of A+

Tomfooleries - At first I was concerned. We showed up at the Plaza location around 10 in the morning, and the place was empty, but that didn't last long. The brunch selection options were plentiful and filling. I've never been to a brunch with such an assortment of quality food and deserts. Being a picky eater, I wasn't able to take advantage of the selection, but could definitely see the reasoning of why it would be a popular place. Overall a grade of A-

Crown Center and Country Plaza - The two shopping districts. Crown Center is much like the downtown shopping area of Des Moines. A few shops here and there, some of your well known named ones, and some not so much. Small area so your time there will be limited. The Country Plaza shopping district is a great relaxing social scene. It reminds me of what Jordan Creek is trying to bring. Although my interests in the majority of the shops was pretty low, you could still make an evening walking around, maybe seeing a movie, and getting something good to eat. Overall a grade of B

Power and Light District - I never felt more out of my element then at this place. Bar hopping and club dancing are not my definitions of a good time, and this place has plenty of that. Regardless, the area is impressive on it's own. A roof covered courtyard of downtowns popular clubs and bars makes this a great gathering spot for everyone throughout the day. Tons of people, and a lot of loud music everywhere, I'm betting this would be more of somewhere I would enjoy during the day. None the less I would still recommend it to everyone for its original experience. Overall a grade of A-