SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Things I'd rather do than go to KC this year:
schitts-creek.gif

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Only reason to go to KC this year for the mens side is to watch what should be a pretty good tournament outside of ISU.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It’s still a blast to go to. Plus you can catch actually good basketball by watching other teams. Just go root for Tech or something.

Reactions: ATCy

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Perhaps a paltry showing in KC (as much as it pains me to say) would help JP make the right decision.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyBobby

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
I live in KC and Q39 is my go to. The people who don’t say Q39 usually say KC Joes, which you can’t really go wrong either way. I also like Char Bar in Westport near Kelly’s if your already going there.
Agree with you on Char Bar, though the wait can be nuts. Joe's is great if you want to do carry-out, and eat socially-distanced, and Q39 had the advantage of taking reservations, if there was a time you were shooting to eat for sure.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I live in KC and Q39 is my go to. The people who don’t say Q39 usually say KC Joes, which you can’t really go wrong either way. I also like Char Bar in Westport near Kelly’s if your already going there.

Have you heard what's up with LC's now that he passed away, my favorite beans in KC, and I just like food and atmosphere of the place. Seeing the open BBq doors as you walk in, a floor slick from the smoke of the pit. It isn't fancy or even nice but it had a lot of character and good food.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Places for Q:

Completely overrated:

- Jack Stack - there is much better bbq to be had and especially at their prices
- Gates - Straight up trash
- Bryants - Slightly better than Gates
- Slaps - Don't get the rage. Been there twice and it was totally mediocre

My favorites:

- Danny Edwards - Been my joint for almost a decade. Love the burnt ends, fries, and sauce. People that work their/own it are also good people. Hours (11-3) can make it tough to eat there.
- Joes - I always try to avoid the gas station locatoin as it's a major PIA. If it's someone's first time I get you gotta try it once.
- Q39 - Not the best value but the food is pretty amazing.
- Blind Box - Likely has the best collection of sides in the metro and the Q is great too. Only place I'm aware of where you can choose if you want your burnt ends fattier/less fattier.
- The Junction - It's a newer place, only been open for about a year in Lenexa, but the food is great. Their Q Rangoons are the bomb.
- Hawg Jaw - Probably some of the best value in the metro. I think I got a craft beer with my meal for 2.50 and couldn't believe it.
- A Little BBQ Joint - It's way the hell out of the way in Independence, but the food is worth the drive
- Roscoes - Same as above.

Reactions: NWICY and I@ST1

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Char Bar is another good location. Between the wait and the portions (if you are looking to get food for the buck) are the biggest downsides.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron