Kansas City area Fanatics - living in KC advice

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Only took 8 posts for bbq to come up. I’m surprised it didn’t just turn into a big bbq fight. Nicely done (so far).

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Housing supply is tight here right now. Very little for sale from 150-450k, and the few that come to market are selling within days, receiving multiple offers. Lee's Summit is a good option on the Missouri side. I live on a .75 wooded lot in the middle of Lenexa, but those properties are unusual in town. Having easy access to the I-35, I-435, and US-69 roads makes it easy to get around pretty quickly.

As far as Q-39 goes, there's a location in Overland Park now, so south O.P. would put you in the Blue Valley school district with pretty quick access to killer BBQ. There is a bit of a premium for housing in that district though.

Some of the old downtown areas are cool like Mission, KS. Lenexa, Olathe downtowns aren't very exciting.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Brookside, Fairway, and Prairie Village are dramatically overpriced and the people that live in those areas are convinced they live in Zion. I have friends that live in those areas, and they can go ahead and continue to pay huge real estate taxes on their tiny bungalow and one car carriage house garage, and meanwhile it takes 45 minutes to go anywhere in town. The old tree lined streets are nice, but that's about the entire appeal in my opinion.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Brookside, Fairway, and Prairie Village are dramatically overpriced and the people that live in those areas are convinced they live in Zion. I have friends that live in those areas, and they can go ahead and continue to pay huge real estate taxes on their tiny bungalow and one car carriage house garage, and meanwhile it takes 45 minutes to go anywhere in town. The old tree lined streets are nice, but that's about the entire appeal in my opinion.

Thanks for making my point on why I live in Brookside!

OP...People like this don't live here FYI.....

Reactions: Macloney

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Housing supply is tight here right now. Very little for sale from 150-450k, and the few that come to market are selling within days, receiving multiple offers. Lee's Summit is a good option on the Missouri side. I live on a .75 wooded lot in the middle of Lenexa, but those properties are unusual in town. Having easy access to the I-35, I-435, and US-69 roads makes it easy to get around pretty quickly.

As far as Q-39 goes, there's a location in Overland Park now, so south O.P. would put you in the Blue Valley school district with pretty quick access to killer BBQ. There is a bit of a premium for housing in that district though.

Some of the old downtown areas are cool like Mission, KS. Lenexa, Olathe downtowns aren't very exciting.

If you move to any of the suburbs of Kansas City, go get your cargo shorts, white new balances, blue lives matter shirt, and opinions on Kappernick. If you don't want to give up on life in your 30's-40's stay out of LITERALLY all of these suggestions.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Good BBQ is no small thing for me, especially since it kind of sucks in CBus.

the best ones are the ones nobody talks about. LC's is my favorite, although white people get the fatty cuts. Which I guess we deserve.

If you do go to q39 or Joes or Jack Stack, or Bryants or Gates or any of those, go to the originals. Joes is a perfect example of what happens when these places try to expand. They lose everything that made them great.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
If you live in or work in KCMO you have to pay a 1% income tax, so avoid living there since your job's remote. Overland Park and Olathe tend to have best schools but they are also pricey and crowded.

Avoid living anywhere east of Holmes road until you get to the Blue Springs or Lee's Summit area. Lee's Summit is a very affordable suburb with a good nightlife in the downtown area and is about 30 minutes from downtown KCMO.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Only took 8 posts for bbq to come up. I’m surprised it didn’t just turn into a big bbq fight. Nicely done (so far).
The fights I normally see are regional. So KC BBQ fighting with Memphis BBQ etc. You can always have a debate about which local place is better, but that tends to stay civil.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So in summary, you want to say that you live in a diverse area but you don't want to live in a diverse area. Maybe a "diverse light" area.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If you move to any of the suburbs of Kansas City, go get your cargo shorts, white new balances, blue lives matter shirt, and opinions on Kappernick. If you don't want to give up on life in your 30's-40's stay out of LITERALLY all of these suggestions.

This may have been true in the past, but things have changed a lot. Suburbia is now left leaning since the majority are college educated and that demographic shifted left after Trump took office. Witness JoCo voting for Clinton and then easily electing Sharice Davids in 2018. It’s not 80/20 like KC but it’s even to leaning Dem in most areas.

Last edited:

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
This may have been true in the past, but things have changed a lot. Suburbia is now left leaning since the majority are college educated and that demographic shifted left after Trump took office. Witness JoCo voting for Clinton and then easily electing Sharice Davids in 2018. It’s not 80/20 like KC but it’s even to leaning Dem in most areas.

I know, i'm just speaking in generalities to **** all over Johnson County. The SAHM that fill up the neighborhood pools are all college grads and all vote Blue. I just find that part of KC literally the most boring part of the Country. Everyone looks and dresses the same, nobody thinks KU did anything wrong and they always try and promote what features their new Odyssey has.

Seems like every dude out there is either a giant cuck or the type of dude that starts sentences "I'm not racist but..."

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Someone else mentioned Parkville, Mo. I have a sibling that lives there and likes community.

Being on North side of KC it is closer to airport if you travel much for work. Also a little closer to DSM.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
the best ones are the ones nobody talks about. LC's is my favorite, although white people get the fatty cuts. Which I guess we deserve.

If you do go to q39 or Joes or Jack Stack, or Bryants or Gates or any of those, go to the originals. Joes is a perfect example of what happens when these places try to expand. They lose everything that made them great.

Maybe I just don't have a distinguished pallet, but I've been to the gas station Joe's location and I've been to other locations and I honestly can't tell a difference in the food which is quite impressive.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I live in West Lenexa on the Kansas side. Our neighborhood has a great elementary school within walking distance of every home and feeds into one of the top high schools in the state. There's a bike trail that goes through woods to a small park/lake and there are plenty of golf courses very close by.

This is definitely white bread suburbs so smoking a J wouldn't go over well but if you're interested here is the only current listing:
https://www.reecenichols.com/homes-for-sale/22270-W-98th-Terrace-Lenexa-KS-66220-300291386

There are also usually other listings at a much lower price range.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Someone else mentioned Parkville, Mo. I have a sibling that lives there and likes community.

Being on North side of KC it is closer to airport if you travel much for work. Also a little closer to DSM.
+1 for Parkville. Close to the airport, close to downtown and close to North KC which has enough breweries to kill an entire Saturday on a crawl, https://cinderblockbrewery.com/ is my favorite in KC.

Also they have a fun annual beer fest http://www.parkvillemicrobrewfest.com/