KANE

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
Yeah, I've rewatched it on the DVR multiple times... and the slow mo replay makes it look bad because it feels like he has plenty of time to react differently. But normal speed is a completely different story because it all happened in a fraction of a second.

The strange thing is watching it in super slow mo (1/15th speed on my DVR of a replay already in slow motion)... and it doesn't look intentional at all. You can see after he catches the ball and turns with it, the ball starts going up and Kanes hands look to be on perfect course to intercept the path of the ball, expecting him to continue like most post players going straight up for the shot after the catch.

Then unexpectedly instead of continuing to go up for the quick shot, Mika drops his body as if he's going to try to get power to push off for a dunk (which of course involves bending knees to drop down and leaning forward over the ball) only to meet Kane's hands.

I feel it was a fair call, but there was no malicious intent by Kane other than to strip the ball as Mika shoots. I feel absolutely horrible as I didn't like how the final 5 minutes of the game played out. Nobody's fault really but just bad luck as the game wasn't able to be determined by two teams going at eachother at full strength, but instead marred by a some of unfortunate events.

I really hope Mika is okay as it looked very painful and I would have preferred he got to finish the game, as he was playing well for BYU. It did, however, soften the blow of some of the bogus calls that added up to three of our starters fouling out.

That said despite there having been some poor calls against us there were also a number missed calls that we benefitted from to even it out. And all of them were not easy calls so I can't really complain too much about the refs as I feel it was evened out or possibly slightly in our favor by the end of the game (though early in the game I wouldn't have said that).

And

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Ugh....they're saying scratched cornea. Hope the guy will be ok.

Not that I like he has a scratched cornea, I like it wasn't any worse... It could have been.

I had one of those once. It sucks, but if anything like mine he'll be fine and won't keep him out of the next game.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
When they came back from commercial break, if I could read the lips of the conversation correctly (and I'm not making this up):

Hoiberg: "You gotta go."
Kane: (Puts palms up confused)
Hoiberg: "You put both your hands on his face" (does motion)

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
images

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
I did almost this exact same thing in the exact same situation to a kid in high school... obviously completely by accident. I instantly felt terrible about it and went down to apologize right away. I got called for a foul which was completely expected, but nothing worse. Maybe if Kane had shown some remorse instead of acting like he didn't care, he wouldn't have been kicked out? Who knows? But I would bet it wasn't intentional at all.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I did almost this exact same thing in the exact same situation to a kid in high school... obviously completely by accident. I instantly felt terrible about it and went down to apologize right away. I got called for a foul which was completely expected, but nothing worse. Maybe if Kane had shown some remorse instead of acting like he didn't care, he wouldn't have been kicked out? Who knows? But I would bet it wasn't intentional at all.

I thought it seemed like he did. Either way the ejection was another example of poor officiating

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
Flagrant 2, as written, has nothing about intent. If I could rewrite the rule, it would only include ejection if there was clear intent, determined from full speed replay. But I can't change it, and it was called as written, can't complain too much. Just glad it didn't affect ISU when the clock hit :00.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I had a scratched cornea when a guy punched me in the face. It was irritating but really didn't affect me much and healed up quicker than the rest of my face actually.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yeah, I've rewatched it on the DVR multiple times... and the slow mo replay makes it look bad because it feels like he has plenty of time to react differently. But normal speed is a completely different story because it all happened in a fraction of a second.

The strange thing is watching it in super slow mo (1/15th speed on my DVR of a replay already in slow motion)... and it doesn't look intentional at all. You can see after he catches the ball and turns with it, the ball starts going up and Kanes hands look to be on perfect course to intercept the path of the ball, expecting him to continue like most post players going straight up for the shot after the catch.

Then unexpectedly instead of continuing to go up for the quick shot, Mika drops his body as if he's going to try to get power to push off for a dunk (which of course involves bending knees to drop down and leaning forward over the ball) only to meet Kane's hands.

I feel it was a fair call, but there was no malicious intent by Kane other than to strip the ball as Mika shoots. I feel absolutely horrible as I didn't like how the final 5 minutes of the game played out. Nobody's fault really but just bad luck as the game wasn't able to be determined by two teams going at eachother at full strength, but instead marred by a some of unfortunate events.

I really hope Mika is okay as it looked very painful and I would have preferred he got to finish the game, as he was playing well for BYU. It did, however, soften the blow of some of the bogus calls that added up to three of our starters fouling out.

That said despite there having been some poor calls against us there were also a number missed calls that we benefitted from to even it out. And all of them were not easy calls so I can't really complain too much about the refs as I feel it was evened out or possibly slightly in our favor by the end of the game (though early in the game I wouldn't have said that).

And
Watch the Mika hit on Hogue in slow motion. He gets the ball....does his best Ivan Drago face when Hogue assumes his defensive position.....looks at Hogue and then swings his elbows. I guess all that is missing is that he didn't yell "I defeat all man"! Even the announcers at first said "ah, no big deal". They quickly changed their opinion after watching it in slow motion. Maybe a f1 at worst. But no way a foul on Hogue. That would be like calling Mika for an offensive foul because Kane's hand had position.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Flagrant 2, as written, has nothing about intent. If I could rewrite the rule, it would only include ejection if there was clear intent, determined from full speed replay. But I can't change it, and it was called as written, can't complain too much. Just glad it didn't affect ISU when the clock hit :00.
Is that a quote from the official. If so that is a misinterpretation of the rule. I can't find where someone posted the rule but it was like extreme or contact or something. That would mean you have to look at intent to say it is more than the excessive contact of flagrant 1. Like I've said I would be fine with a flagrant 1 but then you also have to call a flagrant 1 on BYU for the elbow

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
BEAR CLAW!

Cannot stop laughing....I feel bad for the kid.

...but good lord that is funny. I am going straight to hell.

HiltonSouth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2010
Kansas City
Two years ago the committee wanted to move away from the word intentional and chose to change it to the Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2 fouls.

Now with that being said, here's the exact rules from the NCAA rules book regarding the definitions of the two infractions:
------------------
Flagrant 1 personal foul.
A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent;
2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player,
specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;
2-BasketballRule from JC.indd 47 8/5/2013 9:09:28 AM48 Rule 4 / definitions
4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting; and
5. Contact with a player making a throw-in.
6. Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow which is deemed excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2 personal foul (see Rule 4-18.7)

Flagrant 2 personal foul.
A flagrant 2 personal foul is a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme while the ball is live.
-------------------
Now, when I saw the call being made I was screaming at the TV wondering how the heck that could've been a Flagrant 2 instead of just being a Flagrant 1.

If the officials looked a the video replay a couple times, you can clearly see that he was playing the ball and trying to go for a strip or tie up, but his timing was off or the guy came at him too quick and his hands ended up in his face. Still all of this should result in a Flagrant 1 call.

The only reason (based on the NCAA rule book) that I can see it being a Flagrant 2 is because of the amount his arm extended through the guys face (along with the trauma it caused lol) and that he was pulling an eyeball and some nose hairs off his hand as he ran back to the locker room, which would make it classified as severe or extreme contact and resulting in a Flagrant 2 foul which gave them two shots, the ball, and an early shower for Kane.

The good news is that Kane was only ejected for this game and he won't have to sit out an additional game.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's called, the announcers don't know what the hell they're talking about. Come on, it's a simple stat sheet.

He averaged over 7 apg over his 3 years at Marshall. He certainly was an "assist guy".

He's in a bit different role on this team, but he'll still lead us in assists and probably average 5+.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Meh, suspend him for a game. We can take on UMKC without him, it'll give Bluford and/or SDW a chance to showcase their skills.

Why should we suspend him? That sends a message of "Don't play hard."

If anyone should be in the dog house for last night, it would be Ejim. The eye poke was a 1/100 chance of happening.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
He should not miss one second for something that was clearly unintentional. Those officials should be reprimanded for ejecting Kane, but not calling anything on the Hogue elbow to the face...

Help Support Us

Become a patron