k-state hires tcu's wbb coach to replace deb patterson ...

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Nothing like leaving your former team high and dry as they get ready for the WNIT on Wednesday night.

I don't know what he had coming in next year at TCU, but he is going to struggle for a few years at KSU. TCU should be a decent team next year with what they have coming back.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
My questions are : Is this really an upgrade? Will this create excitement or indifference amongst KSU fans? Hard to say. And who's on the radar now to take over at TCU?

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I didn't think Deb Patterson was that bad. K State should have been more careful because I don't think this is a good move.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
The more I think about it the more I think TCU should hire Patterson. I can think of more good reasons than I even care to type.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Second year coach Matt Bollant is stinking it up at Illinois and I thought he'd be rolling by now. So "great" coaches can move and get in the doghouse. I know KState went with a safe hire, a successful one who knows the BIG XII and area, that sounds great but may not be. I have watched guys like Jody Martinez at Bethel College. He is a very competent and fierce competitor who could make the jump to a big time school. He reminds me of Bill though a little older.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
This is a head scratcher to me.

He's a good coach, but I don't know if it was an upgrade. I question his recruiting, if he can't recruit top talent to TCU in the Big 12 in the heart of Texas where recruits run a muck, what makes them think he can compete with the Big dogs of Bill Fennelly, Lisa Bludder, and Connie Yori of the Midwest.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
I know it happens here and there, but hiring a head coach from within your conference - come on, it better be a big hire or other reasons - and that doesn't appear the case here.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think Deb peaked early at KSU and didn't really maintain and dropped off. There also was always a lot of buzz about how she handled student athletes (i.e. she is very religious and pretty open about it). If I remember correctly, their former star Kendra Wecker and her are not on good terms for something?

As someone else said, maybe TCU should give her a look? Maybe her style would fit there.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Second year coach Matt Bollant is stinking it up at Illinois and I thought he'd be rolling by now. So "great" coaches can move and get in the doghouse. I know KState went with a safe hire, a successful one who knows the BIG XII and area, that sounds great but may not be. I have watched guys like Jody Martinez at Bethel College. He is a very competent and fierce competitor who could make the jump to a big time school. He reminds me of Bill though a little older.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Bollant was excellent at UWGB but at Big 10, he's competing against OSU, Michigan State, Iowa, or even Minny.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
It'll be interesting to see what happens next. Bollant was excellent at UWGB but at Big 10, he's competing against OSU, Michigan State, Iowa, or even Minny.

I agree, his accomplishments at Green Bay were impressive. You'd think he could handle the Big 10 competition.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

I agree, his accomplishments at Green Bay were impressive. You'd think he could handle the Big 10 competition.

Remember that Kevin Borseth preceded Bollant at UWGB, went from UWGB to Michigan, which is when Bollant went to UWGB, IIRC. While Borseth achieved some modest success at Michigan, he could not get them to the top as he did UWGB. When Bollant left UWGB for Illinois, Borseth high-tailed it back to UWGB. UWGB just missed the NCAA tourney this year. It's not unlike McDermott and success at ISU vs. UNI and Creighton. Some things don't work in power conferences.

For that matter, Mittie's success is not in the Big 12. Still an open question.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
The way I see it KSU wanted a change, but not too risky or too costly, so they went with someone who has experience and was excited to get back to Kansas.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Uh, Bollant has signed two top 25 recruiting classes in a row, and his 2014 class ranked third in the Big Ten. Signed Chatrice White, a McDonald's AA post player out of Nebraska, whom we also recruited.
Don't think I'd bury Bollant quite yet. His all-court style that pounded ISU a couple of years ago in the NCAA's requires depth, and he's building it. Would love for him to succeed BF when he retires.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The way I see it KSU wanted a change, but not too risky or too costly, so they went with someone who has experience and was excited to get back to Kansas.

not all that much different than bruce weber hire. a proven, competent coach with solid values. and like weber, it's been pretty much a "meh/wait and see" down here.

as for deb, she was loathed by many k-state fans for her handling of players, including kendra wecker, who either went her way or too often hit the road. the final straw was running off paola, ks youngster, taelor kerr, who went on to be conference poy at gonzaga. too many talented kansas kids were going elsewhere to play hoops. attendance was falling off. and starting to lose to ku, deb finished 30-10, was the final straw.

personally, i wish she had been fired years ago. i thought she was a dreadful bench coach.

Last edited:

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
not all that much different than bruce weber hire. a proven, competent coach with solid values. and like weber, it's been pretty much a "meh/wait and see" down here.

as for deb, she was loathed by many k-state fans for her handling of players, including kendra wecker, who either went her way or too often hit the road. the final straw was running off paola, ks youngster, taelor kerr, who went on to be poy at gonzaga. too many talented kansas kids were going elsewhere to play hoops. attendance was falling off. and starting to lose to ku, deb finished 30-10, was the final straw.

personally, i wish she had been fired years ago. i thought she was a dreadful bench coach.

This. IMO, this hire will mend the KS recruiting issues and give KState ties to KCMO. He'll have the same chance at the Texas recruits he was vying for at TCU.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Speaking of Minnesota, the natives are pretty restless and many would like to have their coach fired. Another season with no NCAA. Gophers might be coach shopping yet this year although I think she might get another year with a pretty decent class coming in to add to her senior to be Big 10 scoring champ and sophomore to be young center star. If they do can her the problem is like what is being discussed her; who would be better?

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Uh, Bollant has signed two top 25 recruiting classes in a row, and his 2014 class ranked third in the Big Ten. Signed Chatrice White, a McDonald's AA post player out of Nebraska, whom we also recruited.
Don't think I'd bury Bollant quite yet. His all-court style that pounded ISU a couple of years ago in the NCAA's requires depth, and he's building it. Would love for him to succeed BF when he retires.

Bollant was great at UWGB and I am a fan (as I am not far from Green Bay). He should be able to do something with what he has now.