K-12 Return to school ongoing discussion

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

In school or online?

• In school learning

Votes: 175 75.4%
  • Online at home

Votes: 57 24.6%

• Total voters

BillBrasky4Cy

Dec 10, 2013
This is going to turn in to a rural vs urban/suburban thing. One dyingvs one thriving. The governor trying to preserve the “heritage” vs a whole whole bunch of money and growth. Let’s see who wins.
Oh for sure! Also, at this point her only shot at getting reelected is to hold on to the rural vote and pray for a miracle.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I go back on the 18th, kids first day is the 24th, we are doing in class four days, online on Wednesday. All online work will be required, which it should have been in the spring.

My guess within 6 weeks we will be totally online until we get a vaccine.

Reactions: bawbie

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I go back on the 18th, kids first day is the 24th, we are doing in class four days, online on Wednesday. All online work will be required, which it should have been in the spring.

My guess within 6 weeks we will be totally online until we get a vaccine.
So how they gonna handle the vaccine? They gonna require everyone to get one? They don't do that with flu. Polls show maybe 40% to 50% of people will get a vaccine shot or shots when available. That's what is straight ahead of us and no one really wants to discuss that either.

• Useful
Reactions: bawbie

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Reynolds is parading a superintendent who wants everyone back in school because his students are poor. SO fix the underlying problems instead of dumping social problems onto schools?
This is incredibly correct. So many are approaching this as a two choice option. There are two many other options!

We can do all in school and spread the virus.

We can do all in home and mess things up for many families financially.

We can do a hybrid.

OR we can pass further legislation to essentially pay significantly higher unemployment benefits to one family member per household, ensuring that at least one parent stay home and help the kids. This would allow 100% online learning while also accounting for financial issues families might have.

And before anyone says "but the unemployment income will be so high it will incentivize some people to not go back to work!" ... that's the f$#&ing point. Less people at jobs, more kids at home, both are good to stop the spread of the virus.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Another waiver request denied. Iowa City has already pushed back their start date until mid-September. Will be interesting to see if they ignore the governor as well

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
This is incredibly correct. So many are approaching this as a two choice option. There are two many other options!

We can do all in school and spread the virus.

We can do all in home and mess things up for many families financially.

We can do a hybrid.

OR we can pass further legislation to essentially pay significantly higher unemployment benefits to one family member per household, ensuring that at least one parent stay home and help the kids. This would allow 100% online learning while also accounting for financial issues families might have.

And before anyone says "but the unemployment income will be so high it will incentivize some people to not go back to work!" ... that's the f$#&ing point. Less people at jobs, more kids at home, both are good to stop the spread of the virus.
How long do you suggest the payment goes? Several are saying the whole school year is shot. What measurement would stop the payments?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So how they gonna handle the vaccine? They gonna require everyone to get one? They don't do that with flu. Polls show maybe 40% to 50% of people will get a vaccine shot or shots when available. That's what is straight ahead of us and no one really wants to discuss that either.
I'm fine to discuss it. You get a the vaccine or you're not in public school. Easy, fixed.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Can we actually develop a vaccine before we worry about requiring kids to get it? The state used to require all kids be vaccinated before they could start school, and then the right, bowed down to the religious right, and made it optional. So now we can have kids in schools that have not been vaccinated because it interferes with the rights of the parent.

To me, that is simple, if you do not want to do it, then send you kid to a private school, but all public students will be vaccinated if they want to attend.

Reactions: clonedude

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Can we actually develop a vaccine before we worry about requiring kids to get it? The state used to require all kids be vaccinated before they could start school, and then the right, bowed down to the religious right, and made it optional. So now we can have kids in schools that have not been vaccinated because it interferes with the rights of the parent.

To me, that is simple, if you do not want to do it, then send you kid to a private school, but all public students will be vaccinated if they want to attend.
I agree if you include staff also.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm fine to discuss it. You get a the vaccine or you're not in public school. Easy, fixed.
It does bring up big problems depending the on competence of the rollout of the vaccine. If it is scarce, or expensive, requiring it to go back to school becomes problematic as well

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
3T a year forever?
If you believe parents and home determine a kids success far more than schools and teachers (as I do) this isn't so crazy. We throw tons of $ at schools and keep slipping. Why not stop throwing more and more money at schools to do what they don't do efficiently, and shouldn't be asked to do, which is RAISE kids, and throw that money at families to incentivize two parent households, or at least more time with parents to spend with children.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine a HS doing a worse job than my rural Iowa HS preparing students academically for college, yet college attendance and success are quite high.

Have two HS friends that are/were coaches at Hoover, North and Lincoln. Both said teachers, opportunities, and resources were far better than our small town HS. But it was amazing how many kids had to miss school or practice because they were in single parent homes and had to either work themselves or had to raise siblings while the parent worked.

• Agree
Reactions: mtowncyclone13

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Ankeny
It does bring up big problems depending the on competence of the rollout of the vaccine. If it is scarce, or expensive, requiring it to go back to school becomes problematic as well
I've asked this question elsewhere and got no responses. But I'm curious if there is any quality research or journalism on schools that strictly enforce mask policies and what their success has been. Granted, even if masks were strictly enforced in schools across the US, we are starting from a place of high infection levels so perhaps there's only such much it can do - there will still be kids showing up on day one infected.

Schools that have reopened so far have gone pretty badly but it's also not clear that many of them are enforcing mask policies either. Which seems pretty important right now.

Help Support Us

Become a patron