K-12 Return to school ongoing discussion

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

In school or online?

• In school learning

Votes: 175 75.4%
  • Online at home

Votes: 57 24.6%

• Total voters

Jeremy

CF Founder
Staff member
Bookie
Feb 28, 2006
Waukee, IA
Waukee making clear on the call that they are fully in line with the law. They maintain that the Governor and IDPH are flat out making up artificially high requirements to go remote or online as a way to prevent it. Waukee has used CDC and other consensus metrics on what warrants a shut down (around 3-8%) and when they’ve asked the state how they came up with the 15-20% threshold, the response is they wont share their math or sources of data.

Dr Buck (superintendent) made clear that when it comes down to making a choice between protecting kids and being on the good side of the governor, there is no hesitation, they will do what protects the kids.

Cyched

Minister of Culture
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 8, 2009
Ankeny
Waukee making clear on the call that they are fully in line with the law. They maintain that the Governor and IDPH are flat out making up artificially high requirements to go remote or online as a way to prevent it. Waukee has used CDC and other consensus metrics on what warrants a shut down (around 3-8%) and when they’ve asked the state how they came up with the 15-20% threshold, the response is they wont share their math or sources of data.

Dr Buck (superintendent) made clear that when it comes down to making a choice between protecting kids and being on the good side of the governor, there is no hesitation, they will do what protects the kids.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010

Would love to see more school districts follow Waukee’s lead!

Reactions: Sparkplug

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Honestly that 15% requirement is what tells you that Kim isn't interested in science or keeping schools healthy.

Jeremy

CF Founder
Staff member
Bookie
Feb 28, 2006
Waukee, IA
Pretty much.

I will say that many school districts are not getting enough credit and praise for all they’re dealing with and trying to do at this time. Waukee has been incredibly organized, professional, and science based in approach throughout. I’ve been a part of Fortune 500 companies and worked with many others and Waukee CSD has dealt with, communicated, and handled this better than many of those organizations possibly could have. I know they’re just an example of many that have done a great job dealing with a terrible situation.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Ankeny

I didn't realize until today that the Waukee superintendent was actually the state DOE director for a couple years under Branstad. Which means he probably knows exactly what he's doing here, and actually makes his stance that much more surprising because you'd assume he's generally sympathetic toward conservatism.

If the governor insists that any online learning doesn't count and must be made up, what is to keep a district from "making up" those days and parents simply not sending their kids?

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Everyone can make sacrifices. Most people just won't. It's not as difficult as people make it sound.
I’d love to see how supportive people are of “health care providers quit during pandemic to homeschool their kids”

Nurses and primary care doctors in short supply after all. Most will not find it difficult to find employment again.

Jeremy

CF Founder
Staff member
Bookie
Feb 28, 2006
Waukee, IA
I didn't realize until today that the Waukee superintendent was actually the state DOE director for a couple years under Branstad. Which means he probably knows exactly what he's doing here, and actually makes his stance that much more surprising because you'd assume he's generally sympathetic toward conservatism.

If the governor insists that any online learning doesn't count and must be made up, what is to keep a district from "making up" those days and parents simply not sending their kids?
Well he was a science teacher and has a science background so I think he’s much more about using data and science than some with other backgrounds in that position. Add that with his DOE background and he clearly knows when he’s working with a sound argument or being fed crap to justify an alternative agenda.

He does a remarkable job staying factual and professional but you can tell he’s very frustrated getting the runaround on every step of this when he knows the rationale being given is ********.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Trice

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Is CDC considered credible information on here now. Back in March and april when I would mention them I was told they weren’t reliable and political. That their information was poor. I have always sided with them, guess I wasn’t an idiot like I was told back then.

• Dislike
Reactions: bawbie

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Well he was a science teacher and has a science background so I think he’s much more about using data and science than some with other backgrounds in that position. Add that with his DOE background and he clearly knows when he’s working with a sound argument or being fed crap to justify an alternative agenda.

He does a remarkable job staying factual and professional but you can tell he’s very frustrated getting the runaround on every step of this when he knows the rationale being given is ********.
Fwiw cedar rapids teachers i know were glad to get rid of him, but I think it was a fit issue.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I could see how he wouldn’t rub some the right way, he would have a strong personality in some settings.
He didn't know what to do with the challenging behaviors. I'd assume Waukee would have fewer. Lot of platitudes, and a lot of not much being done about teachers getting assaulted.

Jeremy

CF Founder
Staff member
Bookie
Feb 28, 2006
Waukee, IA
Is CDC considered credible information on here now. Back in March and april when I would mention them I was told they weren’t reliable and political. That their information was poor. I have always sided with them, guess I wasn’t an idiot like I was told back then.
In my opinion, the worst thing that could have been done was the diminishing of the reputations of the CDC, WHO, etc and the politicization of some factions of the CDC specifically to supply politicians with skewed guidance to support an agenda.

The WHO is an example where when some needed a scapegoat, it was easy to say they didn’t act fast enough... but those saying they waited a couple weeks too long to issue warnings are the ones that have spent 6 months saying masks do no good and we have to get back to normal.

Every government agency has pockets of agenda but the CDC used to be highly respected for apolitically doing what is right. We need to get back to that so people have an authority to look to and trust.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Ankeny
If you can't see that the CDC has been politicized during coronavirus, that's on you. Doesn't mean they're totally wrong on everything, just that you can take what they say at face value. Hopefully someday they earn back the trust of being an unspoiled scientific agency.

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
In my opinion, the worst thing that could have been done was the diminishing of the reputations of the CDC, WHO, etc. When some needed a scapegoat, it was easy to say they didn’t act fast enough... but those saying they waited a couple weeks too long to issue warnings are the ones that have spent 6 months saying masks do no good and we have to get back to normal. Sure, neither the CDC or WHO are perfect, but they raised every red flag back when there was only a few hundred cases in Wuhan and people chose to wait a month before listening.
I’ve felt they have done the best they can. They have tried to provide information to the best of their ability. Too many of their statements got twisted politically by both parties to push what they wanted. Science, which is what medicine is, is not normally black and white answers. Many variables that can change over time.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
I think it is more about the threshold percentage limits. Waukee’s are much lower than the state’s.

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Just got our schools info for the kiddos school this month. Not a lot new since I was at the last board meeting. More just processes. HS is the only one where distancing will be a little tougher. They have kept 2 campuses since the second school merged in and with the middle school there and the elementary being new and built to accommodate about 50% more students than they have, spacing is pretty good. HS classes are 75% of what they were, so I'm guessing no class should be packed anyhow.