K-12 Return to school ongoing discussion

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

In school or online?

• In school learning

Votes: 175 75.4%
  • Online at home

Votes: 57 24.6%

• Total voters

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That would be moderately worse than the measles. Rt is kinda of a useless stat. Viruses don't care where they are, the R0 is what matters.
I would argue the opposite, as r naught assumes zero immunity at the beginning of an outbreak and Rt is an observed value, based on actual numbers ( although admittedly still essentially an estimate) When all the data is in, they’re going to be the same anyway basically.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Watch out Waukee and Urbandale. The governors leash puller has been known to send in little green men when things don’t go his way.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
And Ames is just wandering now.
A different option was thrown out about 40 minutes ago. Meeting pretty much derailed now, and nobody is asking the questions that get to concrete answers, such as:
1. Are we going with local or state metrics? That conversation has wandered.
2. What is the Superintendent's recommendation? That has literally not come up in any of the four meetings I have viewed.

Reactions: bawbie

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
SuperFanatic
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And Ames is just wandering now.
A different option was thrown out about 40 minutes ago. Meeting pretty much derailed now, and nobody is asking the questions that get to concrete answers, such as:
1. Are we going with local or state metrics? That conversation has wandered.
2. What is the Superintendent's recommendation? That has literally not come up in any of the four meetings I have viewed.
Director throwing out a new plan idea when it was time to vote that has literally not been explored, this meeting will last through the night at this rate.

Cyched

Minister of Culture
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 8, 2009
Ankeny
Director throwing out a new plan idea when it was time to vote that has literally not been explored, this meeting will last through the night at this rate.
Do your part and nominate Erik for school board.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
That was terrible on her part.
At least they finally asked the superintendent her view, which was that any phased approach should start online only.

But now they're trying to figure out what they're voting on while casting votes.
They need me, but they would absolutely hate my "could you get to the point" approach to discussions and meetings.

Reactions: PSYclone22

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
At least they finally asked the superintendent her view, which was that any phased approach should start online only.

But now they're trying to figure out what they're voting on while casting votes.
They need me, but they would absolutely hate my "could you get to the point" approach to discussions and meetings.
Every major superintendent in the state if asked their opinion would say this.

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006
Dr. Buck at Waukee is also the state of Iowa's former Iowa Dept. of Education Director a few years back.

mtowncyclone13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

There's nothing worse than elected leaders who don't know what they're voting on, when they start a question with "can I ask a question?", and when they let the public belabor the same point over and over again. Oh, and it's possible to read the materials before the meeting.

Reactions: psychlone99

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Dr. Buck at Waukee is also the state of Iowa's former Iowa Dept. of Education Director a few years back.
I know some people that worked with him at past positions and noted he’s second to none when it comes to being a superintendent.

Reactions: bawbie

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Johnston is going hybrid (50%) - voted 5-2 last night. I was a little surprised since they seemed almost opposite for in support of 100% in person last week. Sounds like there were a large group of teachers protesting the 100% in person before last night's meeting, maybe that tipped the scales.

We'll manage, with just a 6th grader & both of us working from home. I worry more about single working parents/2 out of home working parent households, though. There isn't much K-5 childcare options as-is, let alone ones that will help to educate your kids. Don't really see how it's possible without some form of subsidized childcare option and/or income replacement.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I would argue the opposite, as r naught assumes zero immunity at the beginning of an outbreak and Rt is an observed value, based on actual numbers ( although admittedly still essentially an estimate) When all the data is in, they’re going to be the same anyway basically.
I guess if you have no other way of figuring out who's had the virus it will provide a little data. But the r naught describes the virus characteristics.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
There's nothing worse than elected leaders who don't know what they're voting on, when they start a question with "can I ask a question?", and when they let the public belabor the same point over and over again. Oh, and it's possible to read the materials before the meeting.
In this case, the director asked the chair, "should I go ahead and do what you know I'm going to do," read a long speech filled with twists and turns, then offered a mostly undiscussed model that she argued was best for staff safety without ever explaining how it was best for staff safety.

Then they all dove in for a wide ranging, unfocused discussion of something that money really knew about, because it had apparently only come up in passing maybe once a few weeks or months ago. It was brutal to watch.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron