K-12 Return to school ongoing discussion

• Fanatics -

Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

Thanks again.

Chris Williams - Publisher

In school or online?

• In school learning

Votes: 175 75.4%
  • Online at home

Votes: 57 24.6%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Anyone remember the days in school before A/C and there'd be maybe one or two tilt windows that would open and there would be one fan in the room and that was usually facing the teacher? The good old days.
It's still basically that way.

Maybe two fans if the teacher brings them.

Reactions: yowza

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
The whole rationale for state-wide orders is mind boggling stupid. The local schools, in partnership with county health departments, are far better positioned to make a local decision that works best for their students than somebody sitting in the Capital. Yes, make sure there are standards - but let there be local decision making.
Unfortunately that is what happens in these situations. Find a way to stop having state government be the major revenue and you can wrestle some control away.

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Or have responsible leadership.
Every other response just goes straight to the Cave.
It happens that way all the way around. Those who write the checks, generally get the say. Private schools should be the ones most upset. They don’t get state aid but will need to follow their guidelines. I have always been a supporter of giving kids more options. If they learn online best fine, learn by home schooling fine, public school or private school fine. Let the parents have the choice, not limit them.

Reactions: wxman1

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
My wife works daily treating patients in a hospital, my college-age daughters have all worked during the COVID-19 pandemic and they will return to Iowa and ISU in the fall, and my youngest will attend middle school in person. I teach, and I plan to be in my classroom, masked, but ready to teach--it's what I do.

Reactions: yowza and Acylum

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
I once saw a kid try to blind another kid with a handful of hand sanitizer
My daughter told me that a kid in HS said he passed a drug test by putting in hand sanitizer on his hand and peeing on his hand. No idea if legit but I have never smoked dope. This kid does it every night.

SDCyclonesFamily

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 21, 2016
I have a 3rd grader and 7th grader and we haven't 100% decided yet what we are going to do. Just read through our school district's 12 page updated plan they presented to the school board this week. It still doesn't have a lot of details in it, but a couple of things stood out. Note - I am not in Iowa but in a larger Midwest school district that has 35 buildings and approximately 24,000 students. The update said in person will be their plan at the start of the school year but masks will not be mandatory only recommended. They did mention that they have contingencies prepared where entire buildings might pivot to online learning while others stay in person depending on what happens. The biggest thing that stood out to me is they are trying to secure $7.8 million in additional funding related to COVID19 safety needs. That's a lot of money to come up with in a short amount of time.

At this point we are leaning towards sending the kids back, but that is mainly due to our case numbers have been holding steady or slightly decreasing. If that changes in the next month, we will definitely reevaluate. Our kids both did extremely well with online learning and my husband and I both have some flexibility to work from home so we don't have those issues to contend with.

ISUCyclones2015

Dec 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
My daughter told me that a kid in HS said he passed a drug test by putting in hand sanitizer on his hand and peeing on his hand. No idea if legit but I have never smoked dope. This kid does it every night.
Sounds like something a teenage stoner would say that is trying to impress your daughter. I doubt he takes a drug test every day and I doubt he pisses on his hand and I'll go out on a limb and say I believe hand sanitizer screws up a drug test but it'll get flagged.

BCClone

SuperFanatic
Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Sounds like something a teenage stoner would say that is trying to impress your daughter. I doubt he takes a drug test every day and I doubt he pisses on his hand and I'll go out on a limb and say I believe hand sanitizer screws up a drug test but it'll get flagged.
It was a one time test. He got popped for possession and claimed someone else’s (on school grounds) so to confirm it was someone else’s (which it was actually his) they told him to drug test the next day and see if it was clean. Came back clean.

He gets high every night, not gets drug tested every night.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
A lot of DSM schools and burbs aren’t going back full time including Ankeny which is just brutal. The year from hell begins now.