Justin Wren

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LukePlansky

Nov 29, 2007
Ames
The former Iowa State wrestling recruit is fighting at Hilton this Saturday.
I wrote a story about him that was in the Daily yesterday.
http://tinyurl.com/cu8rdv

I did a video interview with him as well.
http://tinyurl.com/cuatrd

Grant Turner, who had a good year as a Grand View assistant, was training with him on Monday.
[Beware: the video has a couple little glitches I need to fix tomorrow.]

Anyhow, here is some stuff I didn't include in the story:
  • Wren trained with gold medalists Kenny Monday and Kendell Cross in high school
  • He is heavily considering joining up with Golden Glory, which is based in Holland, or Team Miletich
  • The guy he's fighting next Thursday, Corey Salter, is 7-12.
  • As a senior, e wore a leopard-print, Borat-style thong-singlet to weigh-ins at the Texas high school state tournament. All of the wrestlers, coaches and refs were in the same gym when he disrobed his shirt and shorts.
  • He became a Christian in November of 2007.
  • He has a cane corso mastiff named Knuckles, who he said looks like a "pitbull on steroids."

I talked to him for several hours this past week, so I could probably answer some responsible questions about what he's up to. He's living in Fort Worth, training and teaching MMA classes while also serving as a youth group leader.

Last edited:

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
Nothing against Zabriske, but this kid would absolutely kill all of his NCAA opponents, something not seen since Chris Taylor. He might have even made a good DT/NG for the football team.

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
Wren was an absolute monster while in high school. I wish he would have decided to stick around.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I thought it was grades...I might have even went to DMACC for a bit

He was talking classes at DMACC while training with the ISU staff. I believe he graduated early and then came up to train. Wren is a smart guy and I don't believe grades were ever a issue. He just wanted to fight.

I met Wren during his time in Ames and he is a great guy. He is one of the funniest guys I've ever met. Don't get him started on midget lovers, he'll talk all night.:biglaugh:

LukePlansky

Nov 29, 2007
Ames
Update: Zak Jensen backed out of the fight -- on Thursday, I believe. The guy Wren's fighting tonight is supposedly a brawler, and is somewhere around 6'0-6'1, 235 pounds with a 3-5 record.
Wren found out yesterday, and mentioned that there's talk that Jensen will face some sort of punishment from the Iowa boxing commission.
I'll try to get to the bottom of that and have an answer by Monday.
Still should be an entertaining fight.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Update: Zak Jensen backed out of the fight -- on Thursday, I believe. The guy Wren's fighting tonight is supposedly a brawler, and is somewhere around 6'0-6'1, 235 pounds with a 3-5 record.
Wren found out yesterday, and mentioned that there's talk that Jensen will face some sort of punishment from the Iowa boxing commission.
I'll try to get to the bottom of that and have an answer by Monday.
Still should be an entertaining fight.

Wren's status of Facebook says that Jensen is gonna lose his title.