Just Some Thoughts and a Question on the Football Season.

VanderHuge

Jan 6, 2009
North Liberty, IA
Anyone thing the Pelini's would be interested in a position coaching job here? Bo's gonna be fired at the end of this year. Dude won a NC so we know he's got the pedigree.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't know about crappy. But he's pretty old. He was coaching Barry Sanders back at OSU and before that Eric Dickerson at SMU. He does have TX ties (one of the few on the staff with Wells gone). That said, recruiting is kind of a young man's game. He's sitting at a position (RB coach) that is supposed to be for prime recruiters. Yet you hardly ever hear about him in recruit interviews.

My opinion is that you keep the Burnhams (elevate Shane to Co-DC with Wally), Douglas and Klenakis. CPR can keep Mess if he agrees to move back to WR coach. I would probably fire Bray, Bleil, Sturdy, Pope. Unfortunately, someone needs to take the blame for 1-11. Get some new coaches in with a little fire for the recruiting road. I'd also look VERY closely at what McKnight is doing.

So someone has to take blame for 1-11 but you are keeping both your coordinators on the staff? That's ridiculous. Why are we firing Sturdy? If we are firing Bray, why aren't we firing Shane? It looks like you just picked names out of hat to keep and get rid of.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
It needs to be cleansed of the enablers. The folks who think that what we are seeing on the field this year is acceptable because... "ISU is making progress" or "Next year will be better".

Is it acceptable that guys like Jacques Washington, Shontrelle Johnson, Deon Broomfield, Jeff Woody, and the rest of the seniors on this team get to spend their final season at ISU getting embarrassed because "Next year the Clones will be better"? Not to me it isn't and not to a lot of the "whiners who panic in the face of adversity" it isn't. I am ****** about this season! I am disappointed for those kids because they have worked their ***** off in their time at ISU and their senior year which should be the greatest season of their college careers is going down in flames. They deserved better then this. This isn't just some throw away season that doesn't matter! Every season matters... Well at least it matters to a lot of the fans you want "cleansed" out of the fanbase.

I was going to merely offer a like, but have to salute you for a very strong take. I don't want to 'cleanse' anyone, but this term does resonate with me when it comes to results measurement among some of our friends here. I will repeat, ISU needs all the fans it can get. You are all great people. Everyone needs to stay. No one (from the fanbase)needs to go!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So someone has to take blame for 1-11 but you are keeping both your coordinators on the staff? That's ridiculous. Why are we firing Sturdy? If we are firing Bray, why aren't we firing Shane? It looks like you just picked names out of hat to keep and get rid of.

I think that Wally has proven himself enough to know that if he has any talent and an O that will at least score a little and get some first downs, he can put out a decent defense. Shane is probably our best recruiter. I believe that Mess is a decent WR or TE coach, but not a good QB coach or OC. Klenakis it's probably too soon to judge and injuries have really hurt his unit. I'm also of the opinion that Douglas does a good job with what he has to work with. I do think that Sturdy has done a good job with the WRs this year, although I fail to see what Coleman did to win a starting job. IMO Bleil's, Bray's and Pope's groups have underperformed and you hardly ever hear their names mentioned with recruits. I'm not going to call for people's jobs, but if CPR makes no changes after this year, they're going to have a hard time selling tickets.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Anyone thing the Pelini's would be interested in a position coaching job here? Bo's gonna be fired at the end of this year. Dude won a NC so we know he's got the pedigree.

my thoughts on either of the Pelini's at ISU:

1zvaiyq.gif

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I'm not sure I could imagine a better recruiting pitch than that (and our stable of running backs seems to prove this).
I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, how much do the names Dickerson and Sanders resonate with 17 and 18 year olds? Honest question. I'm 32, and Dickerson is little more than a name to me. I remember Barry quite vividly, but a high school kid certainly doesn't.

I'm not calling for Pope to be fired, but I would question his RB rotation. From what I've heard, Pope has as much or more say in who takes the field on any given play than the OC. And, if that's the case, there has certainly been some questionable RB rotations over the past couple of years, injuries aside.

An deep analysis of the entire staff is very much needed this off-season.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, how much do the names Dickerson and Sanders resonate with 17 and 18 year olds? Honest question. I'm 32, and Dickerson is little more than a name to me. I remember Barry quite vividly, but a high school kid certainly doesn't.

I'm not calling for Pope to be fired, but I would question his RB rotation. From what I've heard, Pope has as much or more say in who takes the field on any given play than the OC. And, if that's the case, there has certainly been some questionable RB rotations over the past couple of years, injuries aside.

An deep analysis of the entire staff is very much needed this off-season.

I agree with you that most high schoolers don't relate to Dickerson or Sanders. Most recruits would relate more to Adrian Peterson, Brandon Jacobs, maybe Emmitt Smith, Faulk, and Bush.

I disagree that the RB coach has full control of the rotations. Most rotations are based in schemes and the gameplan. That's a "group discussion" in coaches meetings on Sundays but Mess and Rhoads makes the final gameplan decisions. What he does is make sure that guys are being rotated at the appropriate time so he must stay in tune with what's being called so the right personnel groupings will be in the game. Also, they could agree that SJ, AW, and DV gives them the same thing for a series if plays. So, you could see either guy in the game while running the same plays. You may only see option with DV and Woody, for example. Pope has input but those are ultimately Mess and Rhoads decisions or whoever the run game coordinator may be (usually the OL coach).

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Shane is a Florida recruiter.