Just got a little love on ESPN

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Fred is the man. Not going to lie, I got a man crush on him and I'm not afraid to admit it. He might be in his 40s but tons of girls on Iowa State's campus have massive crushes on him too. At this point, who doesn't really.

Reactions: cyclone22

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Good stuff. Hey, I see on cbssports.com that we are only scheduled for 6 more ooc games. That can't be right, I must be missing something.....anyone know?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Good stuff. Hey, I see on cbssports.com that we are only scheduled for 6 more ooc games. That can't be right, I must be missing something.....anyone know?

I dont think they have the diamond head classic tournament games listed. I think we play 3 out there.

ken

Dec 28, 2008
They talked about us earlier in that game too. They were talking about prominent Canadians in the NCAA and highlighted Ejim. They talked about the 2 nice wins then too.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Pretty much a bunch of stuff we already know. I can't remember which, but one of them was talking about the pro type ball Hoiball is and called Hoiberg the best in the came at creating great matchups.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Ya they had nothing but good things to say about us and so glad they didn't bring any negative stuff up that BYU can't let go of.

Honestly, outside of BYU fans and some Iowa fans, I haven't heard a single negative thing about the game. Any unbiased person knows Kane didn't do that intentionally, and Ejim made a mistake that he immediately owned up to and apologized for.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
A little love is good, but...

[video=youtube;zB_DOA2AL7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_DOA2AL7Q[/video]

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think the thing about Fred is that it seems like every year he looses 60% of his scoring and 50% of his rebounding, and the next year a couple guys turn up to fill the voids and the team is good again. The sports guys and I are the same in wondering how the heck he does it. It works, so I guess I should not wonder how.

He just knows matchups, since he's been he has had some good scorers but Royce was the only guy so far that was a mismatch every game. This year he has Kane and Niang who up until haven't been stopped by anyone, not to mention Ejim chipped in 20+ both games he's played. It's an NBA mentality and more than that its almost treating offensive possessions like football teams do. It's not like he just goes to a guy every time down the floor, he runs lots of sets/plays, evaluates what works then goes to it down the stretch. It simple but not easy to do. He is apparently pretty good at it, it didn't happen overnight but Fred has become one of the better X's and O's coaches in the big 12.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
He just knows matchups, since he's been he has had some good scorers but Royce was the only guy so far that was a mismatch every game. This year he has Kane and Niang who up until haven't been stopped by anyone, not to mention Ejim chipped in 20+ both games he's played. It's an NBA mentality and more than that its almost treating offensive possessions like football teams do. It's not like he just goes to a guy every time down the floor, he runs lots of sets/plays, evaluates what works then goes to it down the stretch. It simple but not easy to do. He is apparently pretty good at it, it didn't happen overnight but Fred has become one of the better X's and O's coaches in the big 12.

Fred is the 2nd best coach in the Big 12 behind Bill Self and I'm not afraid to say that. In fact, I think the majority would agree. I'd say Lon Kruger/Huggins is 3rd. A lot of KU people I know all said they'd take Hoiberg in a second if Bill Self ever left KU. Lets remember Fred has only been a head coach in college for 4 years now, yet people are saying he may be one of the best potential NBA coach prospect while being compared to Izzo, Self, Coach K, etc. That is absolutely crazy.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Fred is the 2nd best coach in the Big 12 behind Bill Self and I'm not afraid to say that. In fact, I think the majority would agree. I'd say Lon Kruger/Huggins is 3rd. A lot of KU people I know all said they'd take Hoiberg in a second if Bill Self ever left KU. Lets remember Fred has only been a head coach in college for 4 years now, yet people are saying he may be one of the best potential NBA coach prospect while being compared to Izzo, Self, Coach K, etc. That is absolutely crazy.
I am fine with that now but eventually Hoiberg will be rivaling Coach K as the best coach ever. That's a long way off and a lot of things can change but I truly think it will happen.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I am fine with that now but eventually Hoiberg will be rivaling Coach K as the best coach ever. That's a long way off and a lot of things can change but I truly think it will happen.

Easy now, Coach K will go down as a top 3 greatest coach of all time. Love the enthusiasm and optimism but Coach K has been beyond successful in NCAA basketball for decades now, on top of the olympic teams...Hoiberg is great no doubt but I'm not sure he will ever be able to be compared to Coach K unless he takes us to like 5 final fours, wins some titles, coaches the olympic team, etc.

cowmaster1

Dec 16, 2012
St. Paul
Easy now, Coach K will go down as a top 3 greatest coach of all time. Love the enthusiasm and optimism but Coach K has been beyond successful in NCAA basketball for decades now, on top of the olympic teams...Hoiberg is great no doubt but I'm not sure he will ever be able to be compared to Coach K unless he takes us to like 5 final fours, wins some titles, coaches the olympic team, etc.

Do you doubt Fred? Pretty soon he'll be on the wheaties boxes that he has for breakfast every morning because he's a champion.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I don't know if Hoiberg will surpass coach K as one of the best, but it wouln't surprise me if he did. All he needs to do is be the best at ISU right now, and I think he's already there, especially if he takes us to the tourney 3 out of 4 years.

It's obvious to me that Hoiberg is like a boiling pot of water with its lid clamoring around due to the pressure. He is a guy that can be the next great college basketball coach. Just give it time and the lids going to blow off.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I love we are getting all of this publicity and the fan base is excited but I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. Yes we beat a top ranked Michigan team at home and beat a very solid BYU team on the road but we are a long ways away from this season being successful. Unlike the college football season where 2 games can make (or break) you, the college basketball season is a marathon and we are just beginning. I just don't want to fans to be let down too much if we drop a game against a team we should beat. It seems like ISU (in all sports) has been in that nightmare before.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
They also talked about us a few times during the Michigan - LBSU game. Dave O'Brian was on the call. He said how loud Hilton was and being one of the best homecourts in the nation.

There weren't the only games. I got to watch part of about 4-5 college bball games yesterday and Iowa State/Hoiberg/How loud Hilton is was mentioned in most of them.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I love we are getting all of this publicity and the fan base is excited but I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. Yes we beat a top ranked Michigan team at home and beat a very solid BYU team on the road but we are a long ways away from this season being successful. Unlike the college football season where 2 games can make (or break) you, the college basketball season is a marathon and we are just beginning. I just don't want to fans to be let down too much if we drop a game against a team we should beat. It seems like ISU (in all sports) has been in that nightmare before.

I think most on the board understand that we're going to drop a few we shouldn't. We have every year with Hoiberg at the helms and we're not where we want to be as a program yet to take the cup fully off. But we also know the way we're projecting with Fred at the helm, there will be a time not far from now that we can start to have that expectation.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Good luck with that.
I plan to keep charging with the excitement. Disappointment might happen. That's something to deal with then. No reason to deal with it now.